Italy still not in the FIFA Top 10 (1 Viewer)

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
Dec 20, 2002
01/15/2003. The latest Fifa World rankings have seen little change due to the lack of international football over the last month.

The only climbers in the top ten are Turkey, who rise about England and Mexico to take seventh place, which is their highest ever placing.

The big news this month is that Afghanistan have joined the list. The re-emerging country join at the bottom of the pile in 204th place.

Top 10:

1 Brazil 856
2 France 787
3 Spain 780
4 Germany 765
5 Argentina 750
6 Holland 746
7 Turkey 736
8 England 734
9 Mexico 732
10 USA 723
SA Intl

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
This top ten is rubbish anyway. What is France still doing in second place? And why is Argentina there?

FIFA has always had these things wrong! ;)

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
Agreed! And can anybody tell me what USA and Mexico is doing in the top 10.

I know you americans and mexicans probably wont agree with me, but lets be realistic.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
The FIFA rankings are a mathmatical formula, it is explained on their web site. There is no voting, no opninion, just cold hard numbers. I say take it for what it is worth. It isn't supposed to be the best teams in the world at any given moment anyway, its a standings of the past 8 years, weighted more to the present.

OP
Primo

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    No offense Nina but if you say Italy doesn't deserve to be in the Top Ten now, then I don't think The USA of Mexico deserve to be there too.

Oded, if you say the World Cup sucks, Argentina of France's star-players wouldn't want to be in the line-up for the games, but they were. They just didn't perform... and that is what makes a lot of people wonder...

Erik, i agree with you in making current performances as the basis of these rankings...But, Italy still won't make it anyway.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Oded ] ++
    they were the best, they are the best and they have the best players. therefor, a crapy world cup won't change these facts!
    Even if you have the best players on earth in your team - you never actually ARE the best until you perform well and win trophees.

How can the best teams of the world be knocked out of a WC in the first round? It's impossible unless they play bad and if that's the case, they're not the best!

++ [ originally posted by primo_mp] ++
    Erik, i agree with you in making current performances as the basis of these rankings...But, Italy still won't make it anyway.
    I realise that but I truly believe the emphasis should be on recent performances. And if it were, this top ten would look completely different even though Italy wouldn't be in it, sadly!

OP
    Primo

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #15
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

I realise that but I truly believe the emphasis should be on recent performances. And if it were, this top ten would look completely different even though Italy wouldn't be in it, sadly!
    Yup, I agree. Italy won't be in it.
    Anyway, can anyone post the link showing the criteria on how FIFA come's up with this TOP10 list?

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by primo_mp ] ++

Oded, if you say the World Cup sucks, Argentina of France's star-players wouldn't want to be in the line-up for the games, but they were. They just didn't perform... and that is what makes a lot of people wonder...
    The competition is not sucks, but this particular World Cup was just terrible!

++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++Even if you have the best players on earth in your team - you never actually ARE the best until you perform well and win trophees.

How can the best teams of the world be knocked out of a WC in the first round? It's impossible unless they play bad and if that's the case, they're not the best!
    perhaps you should consider the number of games those players have played in the season!

About France, i wasn't surprised because they had no ambition and they already won everything in the last years!
    About Argentina, everything was a big mistake by Marcelo Bielsa! add to that the fatigue of the players.

Recent results? France and Argentina were not bad in the recent recent games.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    This top ten is rubbish anyway. What is France still doing in second place? And why is Argentina there?

FIFA has always had these things wrong! ;)
    Why shouldn't France be at number 2? In my opinion they are probably the best team in the world right now,and their attacking prowess is matched only by the likes of Brazil,Argentina and Holland.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    My Top 10:
    1. France
    2. Brazil
    3. Holland
    4. Argentina
    5. Spain
    6. Turkey
    7. England
    8. Germany
    9. USA
    10. Italy

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Holland at three? Why on earth?

Oded - Are you talking about friendlies France and Argentina have played recently? Because France for example absolutely SUCKED against Cyprus for the EC qualification!

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    You can read how the ranking is determined here:

http://www.fifa.com/rank/index_E.html

Basically, it is not an instant snapshot that says these are the bext team in the world, right now. It is a glimpse over an 8 year period. This ranking does not know you have the best players in the world and it does not care either. All that matters is the results. If you look at the list, it isn't that far off. Think of how sucessful teams have been in recent years and then consider their position on the list.

FIFA is supposed to be an objective body, so they have an objective ranking system. Everyone would be complaning if it was voted on. If Italy were not in the top 10, people would be calling it a conspiarcy, people were paying off the voters, etc. In this system, the criteria are set before anyone plays. Italy knows the rules and so does everyone else. These are cold, hard numbers.

This isn't by any means a perfect ranking, no one says it is (not even FIFA). But that does not mean it is without merit at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)