Italy make Euro 2012 bid (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Italy make Euro 2012 bid
Wednesday 12 January, 2005
The Italian Football Federation will make a bid to host the 2012 European Championships.

Italy have been linked with the tournament for some months and it has now been confirmed that the country will make an attempt to grab the event.

Federation chief Franco Carraro today held talks with Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi who promised government backing.

The FIGC need the government’s full support given that numerous stadia, already built for the 1990 World Cup, would need restructuring.

The peninsula has already hosted the tournament twice in the past in 1968, when the Azzurri won it, and 1980.

UEFA, European football’s governing body, will make a decision on whom to give the Finals to in December 2006.

It is understood that Italy will face competition from Greece and a joint-bid from Poland and the Ukraine for the 2012 games.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Bad idea. Apart from the San Siro - the stadiums in Italy suck. Let's face it.

Unless they got some solid restructuring plan; then I'm all for it. Serie A would benefit too.

Can't be too hard to bit out Greece, Poland and the Ukraine though can it? I mean, what have we got: the greeks failed to finish the olympic stadiums on time (roofs missing etc), the poles...well, who knows them and the ukraine has that whole chernobyl thing going on. Not good marketing :D

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
I will go to Italy to support my favourite national team. FORZA ITALIA!! but they will probably disappont me again, as usual...

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
UEFA knows better than to put the CL final in Italy, and the same is true for the Euro. As Erik said, the stadiums in Italy generally suck.

But then you could argue that's the excuse for bringing Euro 2012 there. Portugal 2004 was partly in response to the need to rebuild some of the football infrastructure there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)