Italy blocks phone tapping leaks (2 Viewers)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Italy has passed a decree banning the use of illegally tapped telephone conversations in the media and as evidence in court.

The moves come after an investigation into a murky bugging ring reportedly targeting high-profile figures.

Leaked phone taps sparked a series of scandals in Italy, including one that rocked the country's football league.

The former security chief at Telecom Italia was recently arrested as part of the investigation.

Piero Fassino, leader of the largest party in Romano Prodi's centre-left governing coalition, said of the phone spying ring: "They wanted to blackmail the country."

Large fines

The new legislation makes it illegal to possess or publish the contents of unauthorised phone taps.

Newspapers face a fine of 50 euro cents (33p) for every single copy published containing such information.

The fine can rise to as much as one million euros (£672,700) for major broadcasters and publishers.

"The moral duty was to guarantee that the sacredness of democratic life is not in doubt," Justice Minister Clemente Mastella said.

Italy's interior minister said the law would not have any impact on freedom of expression and was not aimed at journalists, but rather the senior management of media organisations.

Some 21 people have been arrested as part of the investigation, including the current head of security at Telecom Italia's parent company, Pirelli.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/business/5372672.stm

:disagree:

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
m_elayyan said:
so the verdict against juve should be canceled , why our lawyers cant use this
Simple. The law was passed after our punishment was handed out. The legal system doesn't go back and revise cases based on new laws

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
And the newspapers are now forced to keep similar discoveries hidden,
there arent going to be anymore uncontroled accusations and media circus like that,
the job was done,
the press's freedom and power must be restrained for not leaving Juve or anyone else to retaliate...

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
Aug 25, 2006
juventus710 said:
thats cuz inter are gna get sewed by the end of this year once they find evidence
little too late i suggest
Too late for what happened to Juve, but, if they were caught & the tapping of the phones of football figures like De Sanctus & Crapello were included in this investigation, then perhaps inter will be sent down a division or three! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Juve in October's appeal - this might help to lessen their "sentence" - & I'm keeping them crossed for inter to be exposed as the miscreants & punished for the illegal phone taps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)