Italia vs Yugoslavia (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
There are plenty of quality midfielders available to Italy. The situation is far from hopeless. Hell, Zoff managed to get a great team together, didn't he? And that was just two years ago!

The future looks bright as well with players like Brighi, Maccarone and Pirlo!

Come on people! A little bit of faith here!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Holden

Aug 3, 2002
We don't have a wide range of different types of midfielders, we especially lack pace and width - there are no great wingers in Italy. The players we have are an OK standard (Gattuso and Tommasi though are sub-standard) We don't have real quality in midfield compared to some other countries.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Like you need wingers - even Holland has now stopped using them!

The problem with wingers is that they are so predictable. They run down the flank, need to get passed their mark and produce a good pass to the centre.

This is so predictable that even if the winger gets passed his mark and produces that pass - the penalty area is already full of defenders which makes scoring very hard and you need like 20 chances for one goal!

Wingers is a hopeless system!!

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
true there are no great wingers, but there are good wingers, coco and zambrotta are more than capable of doing a job in a 3-4-1-2

Holden

Aug 3, 2002
Wingers offer something different IMO. Something different to the current plan of long balls, it's easier to defend than crosses. Yugoslavia played with 10 men behind the ball, they were strong through the middle, so we had to rely on Panucci to run up and down the line! That was working more than anything else we were trying, how sad. The only problem is he can't cross.

Aug 30, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
Trap gives the fault to the field: "penalized Us" 12/10/2002 23:10.35 The ct explains: "Fortuitous the gol of
the Yugoslavia"

Giovanni Trapattoni comments on almost satisfied the inside balance with the Yugoslavia: "The first half an
hour we played we, then we have a little one immediately after their gol, between the other fortuitous,
arrived for an our accident. We reacted well, even if the field has us a little one penalized. They closed
well the spaces, we will see then to the return, when will have to attach their, if more spacious spaces will
grant us. The absences? Italy is this".

---------------------------------------------------------------

not great, but understandable :)
good translation by Yoda :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Holden ] ++
Wingers offer something different IMO. Something different to the current plan of long balls, it's easier to defend than crosses. Yugoslavia played with 10 men behind the ball, they were strong through the middle, so we had to rely on Panucci to run up and down the line! That was working more than anything else we were trying, how sad. The only problem is he can't cross.
It's indeed difficult then but even good wingers wouldn't have made a big difference! Holland always had immense problems with teams playing defensive like Yugoslavia did!

Holden

Aug 3, 2002
++ [ originally posted by ErikP ] ++
Why do almost all of you want wingers?
For something different for a start. I honestly believe we can be more of a threat in front of goal with a wide man. If used correctly, having a winger can create more space through the middle, something lacking against the Yugoslavs, who were always organised and strong.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
difference! pah! who cares?

if you play no flankplayers/wingers

we shall call them 'flankers' not to be confused with a word it rhymes with :D

anyway if you don't play any, then basically the other team can run up and down the flanks all day unchallenged :eek::D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
difference! pah! who cares?

if you play no flankplayers/wingers

we shall call them 'flankers' not to be confused with a word it rhymes with :D
:LOL:

anyway if you don't play any, then basically the other team can run up and down the flanks all day unchallenged :eek::D
but do you let them go down the flank and produce passes from near the corner flag or do you let them come into the centre (and there's your difference between wingers and flank players :) )

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I saw the game and this is what i thought of the whole thing

Italy are slowly turning into a second rate side

Buffon was good at shot stopping but flapped at crosses, which kid of makes me wonder if there are any keepers who are good at crosses

Nesta made the grave error which led to the goal but he was okay not very good but okay

Canna was given a hero's welcome and cheered everytime he touched the ball in the opening mins, did okay as well, few errors as he is not an elegant defender but tried to bring the ball fwd but was caught in possesion, and was turned Cruyff like by Kovacevic , but other wise did well

Panucci was better than previous outings but can neither cross nor do anything constructive with the ball, oh he dived a lot

Zauri to my surprise is right footed and was very indecisive and not a good outlet for counter attack as his thought process was very slow

Gatusso well everyone knows my feelings for him as a so called footballer, i think its a crying shame that this joke plays for Milan let alone the Nt, cannot pass the ball 2 yards in any direction, i can actually call 100 midfilders better than this guy

Tomassi bless him, he tries but was not blessed with any ounce of ability whatsoever and another for the scrapyard

Doni quite simply the most ineffective player in all the matches last night (okay exaggeration) but he did nothing

Pirlo was okay not brill but you can see he has potential

Dp apart from Canna, was the most popular player on the pitch ( so much for those who try to convince me that all of Italy do not want him to play for Italy again) , did not play gr8 but was still far and away Italy's most effective player with his control, touches of genuine class and movement

Inzaghi again provided gr8 movement for Italy but not one of his better night but he was starved of any service

Montella , came on for Doni was not gr8, in fact he has only played 1 good game for Italy imo and was stuck on the left

Oddo came on too late to make any strong impact though he did try to provide crosses with mixed degree of success

Ambrossini criminally left out for Tomassi and Gatusso, did very well when he came on

Trapatoni, what a clown, will win sweet F.A. , with his choice of players as the likes of Fiore and Albertini are left out for what can only be described as a garbage of a midfield

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)