Italia vs Yugoslavia (2 Viewers)

modan

Jul 13, 2002
i agree too, Trap's gotta inject some attack and confidence into the players, the players are having nightmares, an early WC exit, losing to South Korea and now drawing with Yugoslavia at HOME!

i think a 4-4-2 formation is best, but actually what really matters is not the formation, but the individual tactics of every player to move and player from their position in the 4-4-2. 4-4-2 or 4-3-1-2 is just an outline of where the players will be standing, we can even play 4-5-1 but get some midfielders to push up and support the attack...

so i think the most important thing now is too inject some confidence into the players and the way they play, we got to play attractive and attacking football...so i say...sack trap!

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Andrea Pirlo was expected to shine in his first full senior cap, but failed to replicate the inspirational form he has shown at Milan.

“It was a good first half and we gave everything we had, but were unable to get all three points.” “There is no such thing as an easy game now,” assured the former Under-21 captain, “and it was hard to find space with Yugoslavia putting ten men behind the ball.”

“The midfielders were all being man-marked so the only real option was to hit it long. The pitch was also heavy from the rain and so it was difficult to play the ball on the ground.”

Captain Fabio Cannavaro was again forced to comment on another disappointing performance from the Azzurri.

“We had the ball almost constantly in the first half and Yugoslavia scored with their first real chance, but I admit we aren’t going through a particularly good period of form.”

“We reacted well and could have scored the winner late on. In the first half we tried to play the ball to feet. It was a decent performance but we had to win this and didn’t. That is a great shame.”

The defence looked particularly shaky and Alessandro Nesta’s error gave Yugoslavia the goal. :eek:

“There was one major mistake, but we didn’t allow them many real chances. Yugoslavia are a very good side and they only had two shots on goal in the entire game.”

Cannavaro was given a standing ovation and a lap of honour before kick-off as he came back to the Stadium he started in as a ball boy.

“I always get a warm welcome when I return to my homeland. In Naples they really miss great football and I hope Napoli return to Serie A as soon as possible.”

Massimo Oddo made an impact as a late substitute and placed in some good crosses.

“We were determined,” claimed the Lazio defender, “but we really could have avoided some of their counter-attacks. Trap tried to introduce some more forwards, but we had trouble breaking down the Yugoslavs.”

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italy 4 (2 matches)

Wales 3 (1 match)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finland 3 (2 matches)

Yugoslavia 1 (1 match)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Azerbaijan 0 (2 matches)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
This is not the kind of group where a draw against Yugoslavia is going to do! Finland especially is going to be a barrier even though it shouldn't have to be...

hoshi

Sep 2, 2002
why is it that we have a pretty clear vision on what could be done (sack trap, play people in the positions they actually show aptitude in in club situations, call people who are actually talented etc) but noone in charge seems to have any idea?

Holden

Aug 3, 2002
The problems run deeper than Trap (though his removal would be a good start) Anyone who saw the game last night will know what I'm talking about. The players, in midfield, aren't good enough, I'm not just talking about the players Trap called up, but I also mean the players available to Italy.

I sat through that game wondering why Gattuso and Tommasi couldn't pass the ball, then the problem seemed to spread to the rest of the team, too many poor passes, no imagination, no leaders, no hope.:down:

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Hopeless? thats going a bit too far I'm sure. I didn't see the match, so I'm not claiming to have any first hand account of whats going on, but to suggest there are not enough quality players to be called on is not true IMO.

remember Euro 2000, amazing, just two years ago everything seemed so bright, so optimistic for the future. Then that idiot berlusconi attacks zoff, zoff resigns and we are stuck with the biggest idiot since totti's parents!

All I say is sack him, make a fresh start and blood some new, young players into the team, as well as getting rid of the obviously not good enough players like Panucci, Tommassi, Gattuso.

Also go back to the formatiokn that italy can actually play well with, the 3-4-1-2, and I'm sure Italy's fortunes can be revived pretty quickly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)