Italia vs Yugoslavia (2 Viewers)

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
BACKGROUND

Italy hope to build on the excellent form of their strikers and win their second match in a row when they host Yugoslavia on Saturday evening in Naples. Dejan Savicevic's side will make their debut in the Euro 2004 qualifying round, while the Azzurri grabbed an easy 2-0 away win against Azerbaijan in their opening match.

The hosts are trying to pick up the pieces of a shattered dream after their controversial exit in last summer's World Cup. Coach Giovanni Trapattoni is under immense pressure, widely criticized by the media and fans alike for his overtly defensive-minded approach.

This criticism appears to have finally convinced the veteran trainer to change his mind. On Wednesday, Trapattoni tested a 3-5-2 lineup with defenders Oddo and Zauri on the wings, but the reaction of the Italian media convinced him to change everything the day after, when he fielded a more offensive 3-4-1-2 lineup, which features Pirlo as the holding playmaker and Doni in front of him, in the hole behind the offensive duo Inzaghi-Del Piero.

The guests are amidst a transition period. After failing to qualify for the 2002 World Cup, Yugoslavia slipped in 20th place in the FIFA World ranking. Following this failure, the task of rebuilding this former giant was given to the legendary Dejan Savicevic.

The former Milan player has been trying to analyze the potential of his nation's youth and figure out who the young players are that he can count on for the immediate future. Meanwhile, he continues to count on veterans such as Mijatovic, Mihajlovic and Milosevic. Taking into account Yugoslavia's latest outing, a humiliating 5-0 defeat against Czech Republic, the job for Savicevic seems quite tough.

TEAM NEWS

In addition to long-term sidelined Juventus winger Zambrotta, Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni will miss four influential regulars like Roma skipper Francesco Totti, who is bothered by two different injuries, and Inter's Coco, Di Biagio and Vieri. The veteran trainer is expected to field a 3-4-1-2 lineup, with Doni behind Del Piero and Inzaghi. Andrea Pirlo will be the playmaker in a midfield line that will include his teammates Gattuso and Ambrosini. Atalanta defender Luciano Zauri will make his debut with Italy's jersey.

Yugoslavia coach Dejan Savicevic is expected to recover defender Zoran Mirkovic, who suffers a light muscular injury. The former Milan player should field a quite offensive-minded starting eleven, with Mijatovic behind the offensive duo Kovacevic-Kezman. Chievo winger Lazetic should also be in the regular lineup.

PROBABLE LINEUPS

ITALY (3-4-1-2): Buffon; Panucci, Nesta, Cannavaro; Gattuso, Pirlo, Tommasi, Zauri; Doni; Inzaghi, Del Piero

YUGOSLAVIA (4-3-1-2): Jevric; Mirkovic, Kristajc, Mihajlovic, Stefanovic; Lazetic, Stankovic, Dragutinovic; Mijatovic; Kovacevic, Kezman

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Italy : Filippo Inzaghi. There's not much to say about a man who scored 15 goals in 9 official matches. Everything is going the right way for Superpippo, who is as healthy and confident as he's never been before. This is undoubtedly the best moment of his career.

Yugoslavia : Dejan Stankovic . Most likely, the Lazio midfielder is the most talented player Yugoslavia has produced in the last years. Both Dejan Savicevic and Lazio coach Roberto Mancini strongly believe in his skills and made him a point of reference of the respective midfields.

SOCCERAGE PREDICTION

Trapattoni will miss a couple of superstars like Totti and Vieri, but the adding of Pirlo and Doni will finally give Italy the imagination and unpredictability they missed so far. Inzaghi and Del Piero are flying, and I can't see the guests' defence stopping them. Yugoslavia will have to be a totally different team compared to the one who was demolished by Czech Republic a few weeks ago, otherwise this match will turn into a goal party for the Azzurri. Most likely it won't be easy at all, but the hosts should manage to grab the three points.

Italy 3 Yugoslavia 1

Buy on AliExpress.com

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Giovanni Trapattoni will have to think again about his front line after Vince Montella picked up an injury in Friday's training session. Recurrent pain in his ankle, which is still recovering from a not-too-distant operation, re-emerged after just ten minutes in this morning's practice match.

Middlesbrough's Max Maccarone was put on stand-by to fill in the void Montella could leave should he sit out of Italy's next two EQ matches.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Di Biagio is IMO Italy's best holding midfield player, u can't deny Italy missed him after the first WC game

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #65
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
    Giovanni Trapattoni will have to think again about his front line after Vince Montella picked up an injury in Friday's training session. Recurrent pain in his ankle, which is still recovering from a not-too-distant operation, re-emerged after just ten minutes in this morning's practice match.

Middlesbrough's Max Maccarone was put on stand-by to fill in the void Montella could leave should he sit out of Italy's next two EQ matches.
    What was the score in this match? I love scores..even if it is an unimportant match like this one (he practice match).

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #66
    ++ [ originally posted by s0ftcore ] ++
    as long as Di Biagio doesn't play, we'll win.
    I can't say that I agree with that,but I am hoping that Ambrosini gets to play. I think that Ambro could be the answer to some of our problems in the midfield. He's an aggressive player,a good tackler,and best of all,he can go forward...

Buffon - Panucci,Cannavaro,Nesta,Zauri - Ambrosini,Pirlo,Gattuso - Doni - Inzaghi,Del Piero

Anastacia

Jul 12, 2002
    i agree with apprentice, i prefer ambrosini to di biagio. massimo scores more goals and does less horrible tackles. anyway, its good to see fans around italy united tonight, all behind the azzurri. a certain del piero deserves to win their faith back more than anyone else in the team, so hopfully, he will bag a goal (at least 1!) :D and in case there is a free-kick, there is no totti to take it away from him! playing yugo is never easy, so don't expect a thumping, maybe a 1 or 2-0 scoreline, but i believe the performance of italy will be better than the previous outings.

hoshi

Sep 2, 2002
    this is TONIGHT? ack.
    like... 2am here :( d'oh :(

but i always say - the games i don't watch, we always rock :)

forza italia!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)