[IT] Serie A 2005/06 (3 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Another wet game. Milan doesn't seem to qualify as "a mudder", in horseracing-speak.

But really, chalk up a bit of the point loss to Dida on this one. I don't know what the guy was thinking. Forget this garbage about him misjudging the shot by trying to stop it off his chest and instead clipping it off his shoulder (and into the net). Dida was playing low to the ground in a crouch with his arms down when Gasbarroni took his beeline shot from deep (~18m) out. There's no excuse for any goalie to be caught unable to raise their arms above their waist for a shot made that far out.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Panucci and Rossi lock horns Monday 6 February, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rome derby may still be three weeks away but tension is already building ahead of the contest, with Lazio Coach Delio Rossi and Roma defender Christian Panucci already at loggerheads with each other.

Lazio had a penalty appeal turned down in last night’s match against Milan when Alberto Gilardino appeared to push Stefano Mauri in the area – an incident which Panucci was invited to comment upon on RAI television show La Domenica Sportiva.

“A penalty could have been awarded for that challenge,” said the former Inter and Real Madrid full-back.

Rossi, though, fresh from saying that he never passes comment on refereeing decisions then made a cutting remark, to which Panucci took great exception.

“I think that anyone with any intelligence can see that it was a blatant penalty,” Rossi commented.

“I think you’re out of order telling me that I’m not intelligent,” retorted the Giallorossi defender as the exchange became more heated.

The programme’s presenter Marco Mazocchi quickly diffused the situation by changing the subject, but he won’t be there to separate the two in three weeks time.

Lazio versus Roma will be a clash well worth watching on February 26.

channel4.com

The fight already begins

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well, I think very highly of Donadoni and think Spinelli is a moron. That said, if you're going to replace a guy of Donadoni's quality, it's great to see the crotchety old Mazzone back in Serie A:

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/feb7m.html

Mazzone: I am new Livorno boss
Tuesday 7 February, 2006

Carlo Mazzone is the new Livorno Coach after Roberto Donadoni explained the reasons behind his shock resignation.

Donadoni surprised everyone this afternoon by quitting the sixth-place club following a row with President Aldo Spinelli.

A few hours later, 68-year-old tactician Mazzone announced to news service ANSA that he has signed a six-month contract to take over at the Stadio Armando Picchi.

However, as he still has a one-match touchline ban to sit out from last season’s tenure at relegated Bologna, the former Roma boss will make his official debut in Sunday’s home derby with another of his old clubs, Fiorentina.

Meanwhile, Donadoni has spoken out on the reasons behind his surprise resignation.

“This is the most difficult and painful decision of my career, especially as it comes just before an important match against Ascoli and it is not my style to duck out of responsibility to anyone,” he explained in an open letter to the media.

“If I decided to take a decision that was as sudden as it was irrevocable, it is because I had no other choice. The fact that I was unable to talk to the President, who I knew was upset after Sunday’s 2-2 draw with Messina, does not represent a valid reason. The least I would’ve expected was an open and honest discussion with Spinelli before he went on live television to criticise my work. If the intent was to force my resignation, then he got his wish.”

Spinelli caused shockwaves when he went on television last night and openly blamed Donadoni for Livorno’s recent problems, hinting that failure to beat Ascoli on Wednesday would see a change of direction for the club.

“It is not my intention to put obstacles in the way of the evident wishes of President Spinelli, who I remain eternally grateful to for giving me my first Serie B and top flight Coaching jobs.”

Cristiano Lucarelli’s agent, Carlo Pallavicino, revealed some of the background to this fall-out.

“I was Donadoni’s representative for 18 years and he is a great friend of him,” he told Radio Radio.

“It’s a simple issue. Roberto was chasing Spinelli throughout Monday in a bid to discuss the game, but when he finally answered his mobile in the evening, said he wasn’t feeling well with a bout of flu. Yet 20 minutes later he was on live television to criticise Donadoni. At that point, Roberto decided to resign.”

There are rumours that the real split was between fan favourite Lucarelli and the Coach, but his agent denied any such claims.

“This is a shameful accusation. On Monday the squad and tactician got together to analyse the Messina match in a constructive atmosphere. In any case, we know what Spinelli is like, as he’s had trouble with many Coaches in his time.”

The squad also gave its salute to Donadoni in an official statement released on the club website.

“We wish to express our sincere regrets at Donadoni’s departure, but respect his wishes. Our rapport with the Coach was based on the utmost respect and collaboration, both on a personal and professional level. We take this opportunity to give him our sincere thanks and wish good luck in the rest of his career.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
woot the Rome derby is exciting and thrilling as ever as 7 players were booked and Roma made history as being the 1st club with 11 consecutive wins in Serie A. This Roma is certainly a frightening team

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'm not sure what I make of Roma. You cannot deny their achievements lately. And winning the derby and winning against Inter are no small matters either.

I have to hand it to them for their form of late. But the math just doesn't add up when I think about how they've done it. They still don't strike me as a club that belongs in the CL bracket just yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)