[IT] Serie A 2005/06 (5 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
The 5 minutes was a complete joke. I couldn't see how they came up with that math given the stoppages in the second half.

Even so, back to the match...

Lecce overachieved last year under Zeman. This year I think they are slightly underachieving given the talent they have. They still had no business winning this game though. Milan almost handed it to them. Sicignano was terrific in goal in the first half (some of his volleys off Sheva shots were superb) -- keeping them within reach. The rest of the Lecce squad was uninspired other than when making clearances on defense.

Milan looked equally as uninspired. A lot of close misses. Gattuso looked uncharacteristically out of it ... like he didn't have the game on his mind and he was doing his taxes in his head. The conditions also wrecked some of the players' footing -- Nesta and Pirlo made some ridiculous passes when slipping on the pitch.

In the end, Milan probably didn't deserve all three points because they honestly didn't look like the cared all that much out there. They seemed typically bored when playing lesser competition.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Bianconeri9 said:
If things keep up I'd be more concerned abut Fiorentina than Milan who barely beat Lecce.
It's hard to say at this stage, IMO. I think the Viola take their lesser opponents more seriously than Milan ever does. But Milan can play tougher opponents arguably better than anyone... even if the last couple of season have given them a choker reputation in the biggest of matches.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Very exciting match at the Stadio Olimpico tonight, and that's not just because I had $200 on draw. ;)

Roma started the match off very nicely and grabbed an early goal from Damiano Tommasi after a great Cassano through ball...that is what you get when you start Cassano. After that Roma packed in the defense and soaked up long ball after long ball to Luca Toni who really could not get into the match tonight. But despite a lackluster Toni La Viola actually played well in the first half and probably should have took the lead when Danielli hit the bar.

In the second half the brilliant Mexes was sent off for tripping Pazzini in the box, thus giving Fiorentina the trying goal on a Luca Toni penalty. But after that La Viola sat back and Roma really took the game to Prandelli's men, almost scoring a number of occasions. I thought for sure La Viola would take the full points from this match after that, however they just sat back and kept messing around with the ball in midfield and defense. Before the goal Prandelli took off Ricardo Montolivo who was doing a great job of linking the midfield and attack, checking back to recieve the ball and pressure Roma's defensive midfield. But after Montolivo was subbed for Pazzini Fiorentina had no more ideas in midfield and just resorted to playing high balls into Toni again. But overall I would have to say a draw was the perfect result for all parties, including myself. ;)

And watch out for Ricardo Montolivo...he looks like a great young talent.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
RochemBeck said:
Very exciting match at the Stadio Olimpico tonight, and that's not just because I had $200 on draw. ;)

Roma started the match off very nicely and grabbed an early goal from Damiano Tommasi after a great Cassano through ball...that is what you get when you start Cassano. After that Roma packed in the defense and soaked up long ball after long ball to Luca Toni who really could not get into the match tonight. But despite a lackluster Toni La Viola actually played well in the first half and probably should have took the lead when Danielli hit the bar.

In the second half the brilliant Mexes was sent off for tripping Pazzini in the box, thus giving Fiorentina the trying goal on a Luca Toni penalty. But after that La Viola sat back and Roma really took the game to Prandelli's men, almost scoring a number of occasions. I thought for sure La Viola would take the full points from this match after that, however they just sat back and kept messing around with the ball in midfield and defense. Before the goal Prandelli took off Ricardo Montolivo who was doing a great job of linking the midfield and attack, checking back to recieve the ball and pressure Roma's defensive midfield. But after Montolivo was subbed for Pazzini Fiorentina had no more ideas in midfield and just resorted to playing high balls into Toni again. But overall I would have to say a draw was the perfect result for all parties, including myself. ;)

And watch out for Ricardo Montolivo...he looks like a great young talent.
How Cassano stole the ball and got it going the other direction for an attentive Tommasi was brilliant.

How Mexes continues to prove that we were lucky to have Roma swipe him up before we got a chance to is even more brilliant. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)