[IT] Serie A 2005/06 (11 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Whew. My brain is still on Hawaiian time (GMT -11), but I'm back and here goes after making it back in time for Week 2 of Serie A. :D

Inter-Palermo... whoah. Inter looked ready to cause a lot of trouble to start this season after their successful offeseason and the beating they gave out in week 1. But in Palermo, as Roman mentioned, they got raped. Forza Palermo! These guys came out with guns blazing the whole time. And even when they were up 2-0, they still kept pressing -- keeping the ball in Inter's half and creating chances. Wow.

This was the kind of performance that makes me feel good about the future prospects of Serie A. Sure, they don't have Toni. Caracciolo spent too much time lying on the ground after colliding with the Inter defense. But their midfield simply dominated. And not just Corini -- with his stellar free kick and well-placed corners. Palermo smothered the ball, and Inter could barely hold on for more than two passes. Palermo showed no fear, and they gave Inter a beating like they expected the win. I don't know if Del Neri adds anything to the team yet, but there is a definitely team component to their play that has persisted since their Serie B squad.

Inter, on the other hand... what gives? They played like the heavyweight fighter with flat feet, rope-a-dope timidity, and no sense of timing nor coordination. Adriano looked out of it... instead of attacking he spent too much time passing and deflecting when he should have been more aggressive... like Martins. Martins was very active, but he wholly looked frustrated. Barzagli played well.

3-2? Man, this game should have been 4-1.

As for Milan-Siena, I was expecting this one to get out of reach in the early stages... with Tudor maybe snatching a header in response. That's pretty much what we got. Awesome goal by Sheva around some defensive hesitation. But Siena had their chances to equalize here... just couldn't capitalize.

Gila looks really frustrated. His timing seems off, particularly given all his offsides. But I expect him to rectify that in a few weeks... much like Crespo did last season, but I expect Gila to accomplish that sooner this year.

ESS-Juventino

May 6, 2005
Inter Just started! They lack something for Being Champions.
Milan the same as always. Destroy little teams in home.. No Worry.

My prediction for Empoli - Juventus: Empoli 0-2 Juventus.
Mutu will be dececive tomorrow.

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

That is messed up! 3-2 at the Bernabeu ... against a recently re-promoted squad.
Real were very unlucky to have lost. Im glad they did though. Celta got given a goal after rebounding off the crossbar which never crossed the line, infact never even touched the line. Plus Celta was given a dodgy pen which casillas saved and some matey (Nunez) ex Liverpool reacted to score. Well dodgy decisions in that game. Ah well! .....Chin up Real!!: D

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
A very well deserved win for Palermo indeed.
If they continue this progress, they will be a future prospect of Italian football. This is really tempting as Palermo, a team that has juz been promoted last season, finished in 6th and r fightin for the UEFA Cup. If they continue this form of play, that will boost the pride of Italian football.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
What I like about Palermo is that they are becoming sort of the new Parma.... not tainted with the riches of the biggest clubs, but yet capable of inspiring fear in just about any team they face.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
And they buy players such as Zaccardo, Barzagli and Barone in the season in which they were promoted, 3 players that no1 ever dream of in becoming NT players with the limited resources they have. Barzagli and Zaccardo r still young and lack experience, however playing in Palermo in such a competative level will surely boost their level of confidence. Too bad Toni left, but with the purchase of Makinwa + Caracciolo., they r ready to set off again.

And with Gigi Del Neri as coach, who has experience in handling small teams as seen in Chievo, will nurture their talents. I can anticipate Palermo to finish like they did last season, maybe even 4th.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'd love to see Palermo qualify for the CL next year. They have a lot of great players, are a true team, have an excellent fan base, and represent a lot of what good there is in Serie A to offer to the world.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I like Palermo as well however they will face stiff competition from Roma and Fiorentina for that fourth Champions League place. The home support they recieve is simply wonderful and having those fans behind them in Europe would certainly be a nice change to see. I just have my doubts that Del Neri's attacking 4-4-2 will be consistent enough throughout the entire season to secure the spot.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Prandelli aside, Fiorentina have the most to prove out of the lot of Roma, Udinese, Palermo, and even Sampdoria. I just can't imagine a team turning their dismal fortunes around that quickly with just a head coaching change and the continued spend-and-churn strategy towards players -- as epitomized by Inter.

Fiorentina is still an experiment in its early stages, and I will reserve judgement about their potential for any tournament qualifications, other than Serie A salvezza, until after the winter break.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
i think mancini is an excellent coach.the trouble is with the inter players.they probably suffer from a severe lack of self confidence,a lot of which is becasue of their red city rivals.mancini is great tactically,but i dont think he's someone who can give inter a lift after they've been kicked around for a good 16 years.
inter probably need some like mourinho who can fire up a team.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by axlrose85 ] ++
i think mancini is an excellent coach.the trouble is with the inter players.they probably suffer from a severe lack of self confidence,a lot of which is becasue of their red city rivals.mancini is great tactically,but i dont think he's someone who can give inter a lift after they've been kicked around for a good 16 years.
inter probably need some like mourinho who can fire up a team.
And most importantly, they don't know what the word "team" means.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
and inter let their big players go way too easily.
they wasted pirlo and seedorf at inter,they wasted davids.

adriano will probably be sold soon too,and then inter will again struggle to find a decent replacement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)