[IT] Serie A 2005/06 (115 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Sampdoria doesn't even seem to have any midfielders out there, that's how pathetic they are playing. All their attacks thus far have been down the wings, and I can't believe how much space they are giving up in the center of the pitch. All Samp players look kinda sluggish and are certainly not on the same page.

While the guys in the Viola are tearing things up, especially the front duo of Toni and Pazzini. They have caused the Samp defense some major problems thus far, and La Viola should really be up 4-0. Fiore is having a pretty good match on the right, while Jorgensen is making some great runs up the left. But I must say Fiorentina looks to have an exceptional strike force, and perhaps they will be the ones challegning for the fourth Champions League spot this year. They have all the tools neccesary to do so.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

I don't know how you guys are holding up, but I've had to change my underwear at least three times this morning from all the excitement of having Serie A games back. ;)
I am in Serie A heaven over here Gerg. The coverage is absolutely amazing.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I think Jeeks is spot on about Samp's potential complacency here.

And they are lucky not to be behind 4-0 thus far. Their attacks have been terribly anemic, acking any build-up. I keep hearing Flachi's name, but I have yet to spot him on the pitch.

I'm a serious doubter of Fiorentina's spend-and-churn strategy from the delle Valles. But Prandelli is somebody I have a great deal of respect for, and you cannot deny the individual qualities of their squad. Frey is a fantastic acquisition, and Fiore and Toni were pretty shrewd moves also.

I'm still hanging in with my theory that they have all the pieces in place to seriously disappoint their fans again this season. How they play as a team is what's going to be crucial. But what I've seen so far in the 45 minutes today have made me question that a bit.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Nice goal by Diana, btw. He's been solid ever since he transfered to Samp.

Samp started putting together some offensive efforts, so Novellino must have had some effect at half-time. But they still couldn't follow through on some plays ... with some dreadful play stoppages on their behalf when the ref didn't signal one.

And I hope Toni gets his just desserts after that pantywaist display on the pitch. Will there be repercussions for dive replays on TV, like we heard about? Seriously. What was up with that dive against Palumbo? They added six minutes of "Toni time" to the second half of this match, and they arguably could have added more. :mad:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
2-1 Final score in favor of La Viola. Sampdoria mounted a few attacks towards the end of the match, but they were basically outplayed throughout the whole 90 minutes. Novellino was sent off by Paparesta for his comments, and I would not blame him for being upset at everything that happened today; not a great start to the season for his boys. However, if I remember correctly Samp lost 3-0 in the first or second match of last season only to come back strong later down the road, so we shall see how they respond next week.

As for Fiorentina, they dominted the match and deservedly won. Luca Toni is my man of the match because he continuously threatened the Samp defense, and his multi-million dollar transfer to La Viola seems to be paying off already. The question will be whether or not Fiorentina can hold together defensively throughout the season because I'm convinced they can keep the goals out....Samp barely even tried today and got a goal for their efforts. But not a bad start for Prandelli's men.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
I just saw the game, I have to say Swag you're being very harsh on Toni.
Toni had a pretty good game, made a lot of space for himself and was lively and dangerous throughout.

Fiore was excellent. It seems the Lazio legend has returned to serie A instead of the Valencia flop.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
There is no denying Toni had a very good match...Samp could not contain him and was a constant threat.

Fiore was decent and made several nice passes to Toni in the first 45.

Another player who deserves a mention is Ujfalusi who had a very good first half attacking on the right flank. I did not know he could play right-back like he did today.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Toni definitely had a good match and caused a lot of trouble for Samp. (I did name him as one of the Viola's shrewd acquisitions a few posts earlier.) But there was some seriously flagrant diving on his behalf, IMO. I really do hope the league cracks down more on it.

I've always thought Fiore was underappreciated in this forum (and not just when he plays against Juve). Maybe he will prove his Valencia move was a big mistake as he stated.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Btw, for anyone who caught the Livorno-Lecce match on RAI Int'l earlier, did you make out the graphics for the broadcast? Definitely not RAI, and definitely not MediaSet. So I'm wondering where they're getting some of their feeds from. They're obviosuly employing the same announcers as last year over their new game feeds.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
I've always thought Fiore was underappreciated in this forum (and not just when he plays against Juve). Maybe he will prove his Valencia move was a big mistake as he stated.
Right you are. I've always been a Fiore fan, he certainly provides his team with some incisive crosses and penetrating play.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I always thought of Fiore as a right-sided playmaker, not just a typical winger. He seems to have a pretty good right peg and loads of creativity. However, when the big matches come he seems to disappear from what I have seen, of course excluding all the Juventus matches.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Btw, for anyone who caught the Livorno-Lecce match on RAI Int'l earlier, did you make out the graphics for the broadcast? Definitely not RAI, and definitely not MediaSet. So I'm wondering where they're getting some of their feeds from. They're obviosuly employing the same announcers as last year over their new game feeds.
Indeed Greg. I have never seen graphics such as that before.

It will also be interesting to see FSC tomorrow and their graphics for the Lazio match.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
As Andy alluded to, they definitely have the attacking strength to achieve qualification for a CL spot. But the big question mark is how their back line with hold up as the season progresses. You only have to look towards Parma to see how Frey can't do it all.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
2-1 Final score in favor of La Viola. Sampdoria mounted a few attacks towards the end of the match, but they were basically outplayed throughout the whole 90 minutes. Novellino was sent off by Paparesta for his comments, and I would not blame him for being upset at everything that happened today; not a great start to the season for his boys. However, if I remember correctly Samp lost 3-0 in the first or second match of last season only to come back strong later down the road, so we shall see how they respond next week.

As for Fiorentina, they dominted the match and deservedly won. Luca Toni is my man of the match because he continuously threatened the Samp defense, and his multi-million dollar transfer to La Viola seems to be paying off already. The question will be whether or not Fiorentina can hold together defensively throughout the season because I'm convinced they can keep the goals out....Samp barely even tried today and got a goal for their efforts. But not a bad start for Prandelli's men.
No Serie A next week because of WC qualifiers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 115)