Is Ubuntu the new Debian? (1 Viewer)

OP
Chxta

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #22
    Bug 1: Microsoft's dominance. If the Open source movement wants to break that, then we have to do things (such as support) in a way that would attract users.

For those of you that started out with Debian itself, you got used to fixing things yourself, because Debian didn't have regular updates, or regular release cycles. Those of us that became Linux users after Ubuntu hit the shelves had it easier because we got regular updates, and regular releases. Ubuntu did that for us, and it became easier for us to convince others to break the shackles of Microsoft domination.

That's what I'm talking about.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Oh, I see.

In my mind the most important thing that Ubuntu has done is to break with the traditional mindset of linux distributions and just say this out loud: the user doesn't have to know anything. Other distros set the bar at different heights, but they all draw the line at a point where "those who aren't clever enough to follow this don't deserve our support".

What Windows did though, was to really include everyone, and everyone does actually use it now. I think Ubuntu understood that and they certainly have taken to it. They're not the first to do it, but they were the first among the big distros.

I also think the mindset is changing, somewhat. But not all that much yet. Fedora doesn't seem to have changed their approach, perhaps Suse is doing it.

OP
    Chxta

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #24
    That mindset has to change if we are to get a larger chunk of the desktop market.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    But the all-too-common response to that is "but we don't want market share. That's not our aim". While it's true that the goal of Linux is not to force everyone to use it for financial benefit, I think that attitude is a little misguided.

OP
    Chxta

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #27
    But the all-too-common response to that is "but we don't want market share. That's not our aim". While it's true that the goal of Linux is not to force everyone to use it for financial benefit, I think that attitude is a little misguided.
    I wouldn't say misguided, I'd say silly. Unfortunately, in our modern world if you can't learn to stand financially, you ain't going nowhere...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)