iPhone 4, Dump AAPL Stock (2 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Senior Apple Engineer Warned Steve Jobs About Possible iPhone 4 Antenna Issues

by Robin Wauters on Jul 15, 2010

The PR storm Apple is in after it turned out users were running into reception issues with their iPhone 4 devices due to a flaw in the antenna design appears to be destined not to blow over anytime soon, hastily scheduled press conferences and unhelpful software updates notwithstanding.

Bloomberg this morning published a report saying Ruben Caballero, one of Apple’s senior engineers, actually told chief exec Steve Jobs in the early design phase of the fast-selling smartphone that the antenna design could lead to dropped calls, citing a person familiar with the matter who requested to stay anonymous.

Not only that, another unidentified source tells Bloomberg, but a carrier partner also voiced some concerns about the antenna design before the device’s June 24 release.

There are only so many carriers this could be, obviously. The exclusive carrier in the United States if of course AT&T, and Apple’s European partners include Vodafone, France Telecom and Deutsche Telekom, while Softbank carries the iPhone 4 in Japan.

Here’s the key part of the Bloomberg report:

"Apple’s industrial design team, led by Jonathan Ive, submitted several iPhone designs before Jobs and other executives settled on the bezel antenna, said the person familiar with the company’s design. Caballero, the antenna expert, voiced concern in early planning meetings that it might lead to dropped calls and presented a serious engineering challenge, the person said.

The metal bezel surrounding the handset would need to be separated in sections to create individual antennas capable of handling particular ranges of the radio frequencies for different wireless networks, the person said. If a user covered one of the seams between the sections, their finger would act as a conductive material, interfering with the signal, the person said. Consumer Reports suggests iPhone 4 users cover the antenna with duct tape to help mitigate reception woes."

Can someone please email Steve Jobs to verify if he really dismissed concerns voiced early in the design process by a senior member of staff and a carrier partner, and ask him why?

Thanks!

http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/15/se...ed-steve-jobs-about-possible-iphone-4-issues/

Apple down 1.5% on the news.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't for the fact that Apple lives or dies on its PR. Their sales are heavily inflated by the whole "keep everything secret thing", which actually fools lots of people into thinking they're building the next space shuttle. Then it turns out to be a dud.

It's a weird and obsessive business plan, but it works when it works.

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3
    Lets see how bullet proof the plan is now.

But yeah, Steve Jobs needs to answer the question here.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4
    I was going to buy an iPhone, but since I couldn't get used to the touch screen, screw that. I'm going with a Blackberry. Touch screens are shite.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    I was going to buy an iPhone, but since I couldn't get used to the touch screen, screw that. I'm going with a Blackberry. Touch screens are shite.
    I generally agree, yet I'm pleasantly surprised at my new android phone. Touch screen doesn't get in the way much.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    Nothing beats a touchscreen phone with a QWERTY keypad.
    Which one is that?

The touch pad on the BB Storm is pretty cool, when you type a letter you get a sensation that you're pushing a button. Kinda weird to explain. But all touch devices suck IMO I need a physical keyboard

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
    Aug 27, 2008
    That one's quite thin. The new one (Droid 2) is coming out in August I guess. Bumped up processor, a better keypad and all.

Time for me to run before dru hates on me for my Motorola love :snoop:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)