Ioan Gruffud (1 Viewer)

AnnA

May 14, 2003
I am sure that everyone who saw the movie "102 dalmatians" (specialy girls :D ) noticed that gorgeous guy who plays the man who has the pet shop.

I just love him!!!! He is soooo sexy and soooo cool!!!!!!!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
You should get your hands on the "Hornblower" series. he playes the leading role in those. It plays at around 1800, Gruffud is a naval captain in the Royal British Navy.

I'm a sucker for these old sailing ships so I got hooked instantly :D

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
You should get your hands on the "Hornblower" series. he playes the leading role in those. It plays at around 1800, Gruffud is a naval captain in the Royal British Navy.

I'm a sucker for these old sailing ships so I got hooked instantly :D
sorry to go off topic, but what do you think of Russel Crow's Movie a few months ago about the british/french battleships. (for the life of me, i can't remember the title!?)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Haven't seen it. Usually, when Hollywood tries to bring back to life these times they fail so I stick to European productions which are much better on this particular field imho.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Vilhelmas ] ++
master and commander or something, innit?
yeah! that's it. Grazie

Haven't seen it. Usually, when Hollywood tries to bring back to life these times they fail so I stick to European productions which are much better on this particular field imho.
hmm... i think you should see it anyway... it's not much of a complete story, but watching some of the tatics they used is pretty cool. It's more of a short and expensive documentary really...

Although i dont watch European movies, but i doubt they are really high budget productions... please correct me if i'm wrong...

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
hmm... i think you should see it anyway... it's not much of a complete story, but watching some of the tatics they used is pretty cool. It's more of a short and expensive documentary really...
I might check it out. It's just that I'm a bit prejudiced towards American productions as Hollywood so often spices things up beyond reality. It almost seems as if they have European history all wrong. I would almost ask them to stick to their own history if they feel the need to make a movie about something from the past.

The perfect example of such a failure is Gladiator. What a horribly unrealistic film that was.

Although i dont watch European movies, but i doubt they are really high budget productions... please correct me if i'm wrong...
They are not indeed. Compared to American movies, that is. But they needn't be as European actors are paid around 10% of what American actors receive and besides, there are hardly any special effects in these type of movies that need funding ;)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
The perfect example of such a failure is Gladiator. What a horribly unrealistic film that was.
In what way? It wasn't intended to be a true story or anything. Don't tell me you spotted some minor flaw in the costumes? Or number amoung the swelling ranks who despise Russel Crowe and his "G'day, Oim a Spaniard, by crikey" performance?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
The whole concept was ridiculous. Not to mention the fighting scene versus the 'Barbarians' in the opening part of the movie. Furthermore, there are far too many flaws on Roman society as a whole. Then of course, it is popular to just forget Rome was ever a Republic and was in many ways much more 'fair' than our current Western societies.

But I digress. Point is that Hollywood often fails at attempting to show European history, IMO.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
http://www.moviemistakes.com/film541
Factual error: During every Colosseum fighting scene, the senators are all wearing white togas. They would have only worn them during election time, not to attend the games in.

I worked up this list, and this is the first half sensible point raised. :sleepy:

Factual error: The last gladiator to be killed when Maximus is chained to Honsou holds a trident. This kind of gladiator is called a "retiarius;" they're also the ones who fight using nets. The shoulder armour was always worn on the left shoulder, not the right, because left-handedness was frowned upon in Ancient Rome.

:fero: Just look down to the next entry. The emperor was a gucking lefty. Who cares?

Factual error: Throughout the movie, Commodus uses his right hand for most things, e.g., writing, or holding his sword. The real Emperor Commodus was left-handed.

FFS - maybe they should have cast a lefty? :groan: Who gives a shit?

Factual error: In the scenes of the colosseum the shade of the arena is wrong. There would be two types of tickets: shade or sun. One half of the colosseum would be shade and the other sun. They still do this in Spain at bullfights. The shade tickets are much more expensive of course. In the movie it looks more like closer to noon than four or five o'clock.

:groan: Oh God no, they got the time of day wrong.

Factual error: When Lucilla and her brother the emperor are entering the city, she is wearing an orange veil. Orange veils were often worn by brides at their weddings during that time. It took me a minute to figure out that she wasn't marrying her own brother, considering the scene resembles a royal marriage procession, and the booing crowd could be people booing an incestuous relationship.

Well done, you've just doubled the number of people on Earth who knew that.

Factual error: Russell Crowe has a BCG vacination mark on his shoulder. However, vacinations weren't invented for centuries after the film was set.

:fero: I don't know who wrote this, but I want them dead. Surely for authenticity, Crowe's vacination marks should have been airbrushed.

Factual error: The thumbs up or down for live and die is a myth. We know there was a hand symbol involved but we are not sure what was actually used. It is more likely that thumbs up would have been used to mean die.

:groan: But we don't actually know? So you thought you'd look smart and explain the unsubstantiated theory to us. Piss off.

Factual error: When Maximus walks through the wheat field it is obvious (to a botanist) that the wheat shown is an octaploid variety which was developed in the 1950's for the green revolution. The type of wheat grown back then can still be found in many areas too, so it's not like they couldn't have used the right stuff...

...and grown a field of it in a convenient location. Gott in Himmel! Someone kill these pedants before I get myself in trouble trying to.

Graham, you owe me fifteen minutes of my life.

Bah, I would probably have wasted them anyway.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Oh that's so not the point. I wasn't on about these Factual Errors or whatever you call them. My point was that Hollywood

Know what, never mind. I don't know how to say this in English and you lot would just intepret it whichever way you want anyway.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Oh that's so not the point. I wasn't on about these Factual Errors or whatever you call them. My point was that Hollywood

Know what, never mind. I don't know how to say this in English and you lot would just intepret it whichever way you want anyway.
I understand Erik. I was just complaining about the things people usually pick holes with - pointless little details.

Someone complained that Commedus (or however you spell it) actually reigned for twelve yaers and died when someone strangled him in the bath. That kind of thing really gets my goat, since it's irrelevant - it wasn't a goddamned documentary.

I really would like to hear what you think is wrong with it. If I don't understand, we'll work around it.

Jan 7, 2004

hollywood takes a perfect good strory, throws a lot of money in for special effects and to pay hot chicks to show some skin. they also show how GREAT americans are everywhere they go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)