Interview: Gianluca Zambrotta, Barcelona (4 Viewers)

serfaraaz

Apr 14, 2005
Goal.com Interview: Gianluca Zambrotta, Barcelona

Gianluca Zambrotta has had a busy summer between winning the World Cup and moving from scandal-plagued Juventus to European Champions Barcelona. Goal.com's Clemente Lisi caught up with the wing-back during Barca's 2006 U.S. Tour.

Italian defender Gianluca Zambrotta has won it all, and lifting the World Cup last month was the culmination of a decade of hard work. One of the most versatile and creative players in the game, Zambrotta has learned to adapt to new situations in his career. After starting as a right-sided midfielder, Zambrotta transformed himself into a full-back in 2002 at Juventus after losing his place to Italy teammate Mauro Camoranesi.

At Juventus, coach Fabio Capello used him on the left side, although former Italy coach Marcello Lippi thought he would be more effective on the right at the World Cup. Lippi was right and Zambrotta excelled at the position, even scoring the opening goal against the Ukraine in the quarterfinals – only his second all-time for the Azzurri.

The 28-year-old defender, who has 58 appearances for Italy, has also played for Italy’s Under-21 team and 2000 European Championship, where he was sent off in Italy’s epic semifinal penalty shootout win over Holland. He also played in the 2002 World Cup and in the European Championship two years later.

Zambrotta, with his trademark stubble and pin-up good looks, started his career with Como, his hometown, playing three seasons between the second and third division. He played with Bari, earning promotion to Serie A in 1997. Two seasons later, his skills attracted the attention of Juventus.

Stripped of the last two Scudetto titles last month following Juve’s involvement in a match-fixing scandal, Zambrotta was one of those players who left the club after it was relegated to Serie B. Following the decision, he left scandal-plagued Juventus, along with French defender Lilian Thuram, signed with Spanish giants Barcelona, and now is embarking on a new adventure that will see him fight for a starting position on a team stacked with superstars from across the globe.

Goal.com’s Clemente Lisi interviewed Zambrotta following Barcelona’s 4-1 win over the New York Red Bulls this past Saturday at Giants Stadium.

Goal.com: Why did you decide to sign with Barcelona? After all, you had signed with the club until 2010.

Zambrotta: I spent seven great seasons with Juventus. I will miss playing there this year, but at the same time I am happy about playing with Barcelona.

Goal.com: Do you think Juventus was punished too severely when it was placed in Serie B and given a 17-point deduction?

Zambrotta: I really don’t want to comment on whether it was fair or not.

Goal.com: What has it been like playing for Barcelona?

Zambrotta: I consider playing for Barcelona similar to an adventure. I chose to come here because this is one of the most successful clubs in the world. This was an easy decision for me.

Goal.com: What is your relationship with Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard like?

Zambrotta: He called me right after we won the World Cup and congratulated me. He then called me a second time right before I signed with Barca to thank me for making the decision.

Goal.com: Where do you think Rijkaard will play you, on the left flank or the right?

Zambrotta: I’ve played on the left with Juventus and on the right for the national team. It is really up to the coach to decide where he wants to play me. I’m not worried. I can play both positions equally well.

Goal.com: Every soccer player dreams of winning the World Cup. What was it like when Fabio Grosso’s penalty kick went in and Italy had won its fourth title?

Zambrotta: It was magnificent. Winning the World Cup was great, definitely the highlight of my career.
http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=110481

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dukoski

Moggi's Admirer and Fan
May 1, 2006
serfaraaz said:
even i dont know what it means
He, do not want to comment the decision about relegation??????????.
Well,Zambo probably you think that decision is right,otherwise ,at least you should say that the players of Juve,won the titles on the field(at least),because we were better from other teams all the season.
He make his career in Juve ,not in Como or in Bari,does not matter how good player obviously he is.
I still adore him and I think that he was one of my icons in Juve ,but this kind of speech ("I do not want to comment that decision") make me sad ,and drove other picture of him.
Anyway,good luck Zambo with your new adventure called Barca.At least he did not went in Real Bastards team.

Dukoski

Moggi's Admirer and Fan
May 1, 2006
Dukoski said:
He, do not want to comment the decision about relegation??????????.
Well,Zambo probably you think that decision is right,otherwise ,at least you should say that the players of Juve,won the titles on the field(at least),because we were better from other teams all the season.
He make his career in Juve ,not in Como or in Bari,does not matter how good player obviously he is.
I still adore him and I think that he was one of my icons in Juve ,but this kind of speech ("I do not want to comment that decision") make me sad ,and drove other picture of him.
Anyway,good luck Zambo with your new adventure called Barca.At least he did not went in Real Bastards team.
I quote on the original text of the interviev ,not the second one of Serafazz ,my mistake.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Akerman said:
He wants to return when Juventus is in Serie A.
Who wants him back??:pumpkin:

A player who doesn't remain in the worst stages of this club's history doesn't deserve to be mentioned later...

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I liked the player alot. I still respect him and but I don't respect his dicision.. Though I do respect Canna's decision. Zambrotta could have waited a year... He's not old...and I don't think It's the way he should re-pay the Club.

Anyways, It's time to forget about him...Federico Balzaretti is what I'm looking for.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Black Mamba said:
If we somehow end up in Serie A next season I would welcome him back why not
I would not....and It's ridiculous taking him back.

Either they all suffer to get the ship back or don't.

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
Azzurri7 said:
I would not....and It's ridiculous taking him back.

Either they all suffer to get the ship back or don't.
True, a vice captain cannot go back on his sinked ship. He will only be laughed at in Turin.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Black Mamba said:
If we somehow end up in Serie A next season I would welcome him back why not

but doesnt that just say sumthing? that he has no loyalties to the club unless they are in serie A, soz but barca will prob f*ck zambo so much zebina will end up being a better right back.

wud i welcome zambo? well yeah, will i love him the same way as i did b4? no

if zambo did return i wud just recognise him as another juve player that came and went, not a true loyal player like ale or nedved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)