[International Champions Cup] JUVENTUS vs Everton (July 31, 2013) (10 Viewers)

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
On par with Marrone. First he failed to put any kind of challenge and looked rather ridiculous at Everton's goal. After that he almost gifted them a second one. He was dreadful. Serie C2 worth performance. Reminded me of his first game against Sampdoria.
Well, more often will a striker have it easy to score from that position on a counter attack. Dont forget, he also saved one with a great sliding tackle!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Well, more often will a striker have it easy to score from that position on a counter attack. Dont forget, he also saved one with a great sliding tackle!
But he made it very easy for him. And as for that save he prior to that left his man unmarked. It was throw in iirc and where was he?

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
It's a great win for them but only another friendly for us. Honestly I expected from them to give us hard time. They are further up with preseason. We on the other hand looked good especially in the 2nd half and progress is evident. Couple of more games and we're ready.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
On par with Marrone. First he failed to put any kind of challenge and looked rather ridiculous at Everton's goal. After that he almost gifted them a second one. He was dreadful. Serie C2 worth performance. Reminded me of his first game against Sampdoria.
Basically he'll be remembered for being the defender on the goal and for missing a penalty, rather than the overall performance. His Sampdoria performance was miles worse, given the context.

Being isolated in defence against someone who comes inside against your weaker side is the most difficult 1 v 1 situation. Which is why so many coaches now have lefties on the right and vice versa.

The only way you really stop that kind of move is by stealing the ball early or hoping the attacker makes a bad play (i.e. shoots poorly, wide or at you). The real danger is because he managed to get the ball so close to goal, with it being a counter attack. When you see, say, Robben in that position, even when he comes up against Chiellini, he is further from goal. Even then if the attacker is strong enough there's not a lot a defender can do in isolation. Fortunately not many players are particularly decisive in this position. The exceptions being players like Messi and Ronaldo.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Basically he'll be remembered for being the defender on the goal and for missing a penalty, rather than the overall performance. His Sampdoria performance was miles worse, given the context.

Being isolated in defence against someone who comes inside against your weaker side is the most difficult 1 v 1 situation. Which is why so many coaches now have lefties on the right and vice versa.

The only way you really stop that kind of move is by stealing the ball early or hoping the attacker makes a bad play (i.e. shoots poorly, wide or at you). The real danger is because he managed to get the ball so close to goal, with it being a counter attack. When you see, say, Robben in that position, even when he comes up against Chiellini, he is further from goal. Even then if the attacker is strong enough there's not a lot a defender can do in isolation. Fortunately not many players are particularly decisive in this position. The exceptions being players like Messi and Ronaldo.
You missed his gift for I believe Pienar which almost led to Everton's second goal. That was his biggest mistake of the evening.

I'm not that much blaming him for the goal which mostly was Marrone's fault bad I find it hard to grasp that he never put enough effort in closing the opponent down. He should have been more closer to him. Everton guy dealt with him with such an ease.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
With the guy running at speed if you get close you can easily be beaten, leading to a more simple goal. That's a high risk defensive attempt. You'll see most players now would rather let a guy try a difficult shot through them than jump in, Chiellini does this all the time.

There's no need to dance around the fact that Peluso isn't a great player or defender but he's competent enough to play the 'jolly' role on that side, much like Padoin on the right. He showed that last season. He's not Chiellini or even Ogbonna.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
With the guy running at speed if you get close you can easily be beaten, leading to a more simple goal.

There's no need to dance around the fact that Peluso isn't a great player or defender but he's competent enough to play the 'jolly' role on that side, much like Padoin on the right. He showed that last season. He's not Chiellini or even Ogbonna.
Ask Chiellini about that. :D

Yes I agree he's not to be used as CB anymore.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Ask Chiellini about that. :D

Yes I agree he's not to be used as CB anymore.
Chiellini is clever. If that's outside the area he'll take the foul and yellow. Inside the area he'll try his best to block the shot, he makes everything difficult. Chiellini is a world class defender and Peluso is only decent, and Mirallas made space for himself well.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
It's a great win for them but only another friendly for us. Honestly I expected from them to give us hard time. They are further up with preseason. We on the other hand looked good especially in the 2nd half and progress is evident. Couple of more games and we're ready.
Yeah, I thought we would look most dead in the second half, but it was the other way around.

Pablo

Jul 9, 2010
Just looked on the top hit Everton forum and they seem pretty delighted with the 'win'. Fair play. Some of them even added a bit of context.
We are delighted with the win. We have just beat one of the top 5 clubs in football history, full of top draw players. Granted not the first team, but Juve's back-up players would walk into most other teams.

Ogbonna cost as much as all our 3 centre backs....nearly.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
We are delighted with the win. We have just beat one of the top 5 clubs in football history, full of top draw players. Granted not the first team, but Juve's back-up players would walk into most other teams.

If this was a European game I'd be tipping my hat to you. As it's absolutely meaningless I assume it's just the prestige of saying 'we beat Juve', whether it was in a real game, friendly, or a knock about in the car park.

Pablo

Jul 9, 2010
If this was a European game I'd be tipping my hat to you. As it's absolutely meaningless I assume it's just the prestige of saying 'we beat Juve', whether it was in a real game, friendly, or a knock about in the car park.
Results wise, it is meaningless.

But we have a new manager, and if you believe the media, little old Everton are going to be relegated now that moyes has jumped the ship!!

We can see progress on the pitch, a new mentality and philosiphy.

Its great we beat a big club, but we also beat Blackburn on saturday and took 7000 fans.....to a friendly.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, not wanting to have a dig at anyone.

We are fans that follow our local team, most of us born in the City and support the club through blood and family, not just choosing to support a big club from another country. So wins simply mean more.

- - - Updated - - -

That is not a dig at people. Just an observation on people's locations.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Christ, you boys are sounding as defensive as your red neighbours :D

I suppose because Martinez has just been relegated at a club with moderate finances playing his pretty football the media are stirring up some trouble. I don't think the Everton owners are the sort to look at things short term, but I suppose you do need to be around mid table at least in his first season.

Everton have better players than Wigan, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: I get the local thing, but please not the crap insults at others. There was a fricking Everton fan on here from Dublin yesterday trolling.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010

You have no idea how much we all want De Ceglie and Marrone to walk into another team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)