Important Question (1 Viewer)

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
You can close this thread after my question has been answered, thanks.

Ok, tomorrow I have to do a culture test and I was studying and came across a question that said What countries conform The Netherlands? and everyone put Holland and Belgium, Im sure Belgium doesnt go there!!!! can someone tell me what countries form The Netherlands? only Holland?

Thank you!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
The Netherlands = Holland. They're the same. Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg make up the Benelux countries.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
ignoring the close threat,

in malay we have another word for Holland.... it is 'Belanda'

so basically that country have 3 names ... since a child i very curious why those poeple need all 3 names for their country...:wth:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
You can close this thread after my question has been answered, thanks.

Ok, tomorrow I have to do a culture test and I was studying and came across a question that said What countries conform The Netherlands? and everyone put Holland and Belgium, Im sure Belgium doesnt go there!!!! can someone tell me what countries form The Netherlands? only Holland?

Thank you!
I'd like to add something to what Torkel said (Brilliant answer Torks, I'm impressed!).

Everyone refers to "The Netherlands" as "Holland" because Holland is the most important province (as you can see on the map I attached).

Basically, calling The Netherlands "Holland" is the same as saying "England" when you're referring to the entire United Kingdom!

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
EDIT: Fabiana, something just occurred to me. Was that question in Spanish? Maybe there's a translation error here because there's another angle to this!!

The Netherlands = Holland + other provinces, as I explained above

HOWEVER

The Low Countries = Netherlands+Belgium

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++

so basically that country have 3 names ... since a child i very curious why those poeple need all 3 names for their country...:wth:
Don't ask me, in the Dutch lanuage there's only one word: Nederland. Ask the English why they insist on confusing the world again! :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by tarmpropp ] ++
The Netherlands = Holland. They're the same. Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg make up the Benelux countries.
fabo, just incase u didn't notice,

Benelux = BElgiumNEtherlandsLUXembourg

Sid

Nov 10, 2003

can you speak malay ares?

yeah, we called Holland = Belanda, dont really know who started it first

K10

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++

I'd like to add something to what Torkel said (Brilliant answer Torks, I'm impressed!).

Everyone refers to "The Netherlands" as "Holland" because Holland is the most important province (as you can see on the map I attached).

Basically, calling The Netherlands "Holland" is the same as saying "England" when you're referring to the entire United Kingdom!
Confused. So "Holland" is part of "The Netherlands"? Holland is really just a state/province in "The Netherlands"? Holland is not the entire country?

OP
Dragon

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #17
    Thanks Erik, so it was Belgium and Holland because the question said:
    true or false:
    Los Países Bajos son Holanda y Bélgica

Although I've read stuff in spanish referring to Holland as The Low Countries, or Los Paises Bajos

OP
    Dragon

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #18
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

fabo, just incase u didn't notice,

Benelux = BElgiumNEtherlandsLUXembourg
    I did notice, thank you very much

Sid

Nov 10, 2003

yeah.... i can speak malay quite well i guess...;)

although i got A2 for BM in SPM :wth::irritate:
    A2? BM? SPM? are you from malaysia?:cool:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
    Confused. So "Holland" is part of "The Netherlands"? Holland is really just a
    state/province in "The Netherlands"? Holland is not the entire country?
    That is true.

Fabiana - That's complicating stuff. For me anyway, since I don't speak Spanish :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)