Ilyas Zeytullaev (Uzbekistan) (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Bittersweet night for Juventus youngster Zeytullaev
Jul 27, 2004

Nick McCormack/Footballasia.com

CHONGQING: Amidst the euphoria sweeping through the Uzbekistan squad following Monday's 1-0 defeat of Turkmenistan that saw them maintain a 100% record in Group C and set-up a quarter-final clash with Bahrain, Ilyas Zeytullaev was reflecting on what was a disappointing night personally for the Juventus youth team player.

Zeytullaev took a hefty knock from Turkmenistan's Vladimir Bayramov with less than a minute to play before the interval and was replaced in the second half by gaolscoring hero and Siemens Man of the Match Mirdjalal Kasimov.

"Even before the injury I didn't think I played that well," Zeytullaev admitted to footballasia.com. "Players get a feeling in themselves whether they are having a good game or not and I wasn't satisfied with my performance."

The 20-year-old's self-critical appraisal was in contrast to that of head coach Ravshan Khadayrov, who said:

"I substituted Zeytullaev at have time because he picked up an injury, up until then I thought he was performing very well. Substitutions always depend on the situation during the match and each player should be ready to come on at any time."

The injury was tough luck on the promising Zeytullaev, who until being given a starting berth as Khaydarov rang the changes for their final Group C clash against the Turkmen, had played just 30 Asian Cup minutes, when he came on as a second half substitute in the 1-0 win over Saudi Arabia.

Zeytullaev, however remains pragmatic about the lack of opportunities.

"I understand why I am on the bench and it is OK because I appreciate that there are many better players in the same position ahead of me.

Of course, the game against Turkmenistan was a chance for me as the coach decided to rest other players. I will probably be back on the bench for the Bahrain game but this will be the coach's decision and I'll respect that."

With time running out for Zeytullaev at the Juventus 'primavera' (youth team), the livewire forward was hoping to use the Asian Cup as a platform for his potential.

"It has been a reasonably successful season for me with the Juventus primavera although I didn't get the chance to play any games with the senior squad. Next year will be my last year with the youth team and I will be looking to sort things out after the Asian Cup.

"I had a trial with Lokomotiv Moscow and I have had an offer from Serie B side Salernitana. To play in Serie B I know will be very difficult, while there will probably be more chances of playing regular first team football in Russia. I am happy with life in Italy but don't want to be on the bench, I need to be playing regular football."

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
pendir sorry for sounding too stereotypical and assuming a little too much

but would you happen to know how Kazakistan is rated when it comes to football.
I don't know too much about Kazakhstan, but what I know is that they recently (last year) have switched Asian Football Association to UEFA, so they are now member of the European Football community. Azerbaijan had a friendly with them couple of months ago and won 3-2 (away win for us).

Their manager is Russian and many of the players are also Russian (playing in russian clubs)- so in tactics they are very similar to Russia.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++

I don't know too much about Kazakhstan, but what I know is that they recently (last year) have switched Asian Football Association to UEFA, so they are now member of the European Football community. Azerbaijan had a friendly with them couple of months ago and won 3-2 (away win for us).

Their manager is Russian and many of the players are also Russian (playing in russian clubs)- so in tactics they are very similar to Russia.

well, we did beat russia 3-1 in qualifying games. not even the european champs could beat russia

pikar

Jan 15, 2004
I come from BeiJing and I will try to watch his performance during the Asian Cup. Uzbekistan now is in quar-final.
The next match is about 14 hours later, Uzbekistan vs Bahrain.
Traditionally Uzbekistan is a team based on defence and after all
he is a young player. It seems that he is not the first eleven.
This guy has no many time to show himself.
In fact in recent years more and more Asian player go to Europe
to play and some of them is pretty good.

pikar

Jan 15, 2004
In the team of Uzbekistan the most famous player maybe is Shatskikh, playing for Kiev Dinamo. But he is absent the Asian Cup, preparing for the club. Many other player is absent too. Such as Nakata, Ono of Japan.
In Uzbekistan another famous player is Kasimov, who is famous from pre-Soviet Union.

pikar

Jan 15, 2004
In the team of Uzbekistan the most famous player maybe is Shatskikh, playing for Kiev Dinamo. But he is absent the Asian Cup, preparing for the club. Many other player is absent too. Such as Nakata, Ono of Japan.
In Uzbekistan another famous player is Kasimov, who is famous from pre-Soviet Union.

pikar

Jan 15, 2004

pikar

Jan 15, 2004

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)