Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (44 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Del Piero: Now for victory

Alessandro Del Piero has his mind focused on winning trophies after signing a new contract with Juventus.

The striker sealed a 12-month extension yesterday and he’s keen to end his Bianconeri career with glory.

This team and this club should always have the maximum ambition and it is right to always think about winning,” he stated.

The path to victory may be simple or more tortuous, it depends on many factors, but our first thought must always be to win.”

Del Piero and Juventus had been in talks since last autumn over a new contract, but the player insists reaching a compromise was easy.

“It wasn’t difficult to reach an agreement, there wasn’t that much to discuss. What needed to have been done was done.

“We chose today to do it and it is a nice day.”

On the same May 5 nine years ago, Juventus won the Scudetto by overtaking Inter on the final day. “It’s a pleasing coincidence.”

More significant was the fact that Alex put pen to paper at the club’s new arena, a venue he wanted to star in.

To sign in the new stadium was a nice surprise and finally we’ll have our own home for next season and that is very important to me.

“The sensations are excellent, beautiful, just like they were in 1993. I’m happy to be here, because as I have always said, I wanted to play for another year.

“The passion and love with which I train and play has helped me a lot and will continue to help me.

I’m probably younger than the 36-37 years that you all say, perhaps you’ll now say that I’m younger – that way I’d win the third star…

FI

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
A captain's compromise

As Alessandro Del Piero puts pen to paper on a new short-term deal at Juventus, Rob Paton looks at the value of what could be his last contract with the club
Contract talks with Alessandro Del Piero have finally concluded with this week’s confirmation of a new one-year deal. Since announcing in February his intention to sign a new deal however, debate has surrounded the rumoured pay cut Juve were offering him, and of his worth to a club rebuilding for the future.

Primarily Del Piero represents a dying breed of footballer known as Bandiera – loyal and representative of single clubs, embodying on the pitch what the club stands for, and what the fans expect each week. His loyalty to Juventus has come hand in hand with a consistency to deliver performances, carry influence and score goals for the past 18 seasons. He is the team’s all-time leading scorer and appearance holder and is the second highest scorer still active in Serie A on 184 goals.

This season, despite what may have been a distracting period off the pitch, he has again returned to the forefront of a Juve Coach’s plans, becoming the strongest outlet to link up with Alessandro Matri in attack, as well as carrying authority on the pitch and much-needed experience for a side that has otherwise lacked it.

However, whilst his influence on the team’s energy remains the same, his own final product has diminished in recent seasons. Where 2007-08 saw 34 League appearances yield 21 goals and six assists, and 2008-09 produce 13 goals and nine assists from 31 games, 2009-10’s return of nine goals and three assists from 23 played, and this term’s seven goals and one assist from 30 appearances, highlight a player in decline.

This then best explains the club’s offer of a 12-month extension for around €1m, in keeping with the club’s approach that has saved roughly €25m in wages in recent transfer activity. However, to put that into context, it is a pay cut of €3m a year for the striker, whilst Luca Toni sits on €3.75m for 18 months and there are only four players in the first-team squad on less money, those being Alex Manninger, Armand Traore, Leandro Rinaudo and Paolo De Ceglie. Del Piero’s cut also puts him below other veteran strikers such as Marco Di Vaio, Antonio Di Natale and Fabrizio Miccoli.

It is possible with such comparisons, particularly against Francesco Totti’s €4.9m salary, to argue that Juve is underpaying and taking advantage of the player’s loyalty to them. In a summer that is expected to see further change to the squad, followed by a move to a new stadium, it is important to remember Del Piero represents something similar to Andrea Agnelli and Pavel Nedved. Connected to the Bianconeri’s recent successful past, he has an experience of winning few at the club share.

This experience is matched with a healthy professionalism that not only continues to motivate the man to remain in peak physical condition, but serves as an example to younger colleagues at a club where 'overpaid’ is an all-too-easy accusation.

However, beyond the worth he represents to the dressing room, the role he still has to play and whether Juve have matched this in monetary terms, the wage and the length of the contract remains significant. Whilst on the one hand reflecting both parties’ admittance that Del Piero is not the driving force through direct action he once was, it offers something greater.

At this stage of his career, money cannot value what he brings to the dressing room, but it can still act as a pressure to perform, which at 36 will be all the more of a challenge. The modest allowance instead sees that Del Piero can play out his career with the club he has lived victory and defeat the same for two decades, in dignity. For one of the game’s remaining Bandieri and one of Juve’s most celebrated, that is perhaps the most fitting finale.

Trezegol17

Nov 1, 2006
I just got to see him in the new stadium, i just have too! I got lucky i saw him twice. Once with Holland vs Italy and the other Ajax - Juventus. Words can't discribe what an impact this player has whereever he go's and on what soil he plays.
Now with this might being his last season, i just got to see him in His new stadium that should be named Del Piero.

Aug 17, 2007
Alex Manninger, Armand Traore, Leandro Rinaudo, Paolo De Ceglie- Only them will make less money than Ale. Fucking Disgrace.

We probably did one of the best deals ever. Only 1M a year for a player like Ale...He could get 4 somewhere else

Dec 31, 2008
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]“The path to victory may be simple or more tortuous, it depends on many factors, but our first thought must always be to win.”
[/FONT]

Aug 17, 2007
If Del Piero doesn't care about the money, neither do I. If he's happy to take that paycut in order to play, he should.
Sure, and he has enough money for the rest of his life, but it's about respect...I believe he's not happy at all about his future wages, but he loves the club so much that he agreed. We, as a team, shouldn't use his loyality in order to save some money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 42)