Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (178 Viewers)

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
and if he is benched, what other top teams start with a captain on the bench???
I think that Capello's Juve was a big team that did that. Manchester United to some extent too, with Neville as captain and Giggs as vice-captain, both of which aren't regular starters.

I don't think the captaincy is a problem, Lo-Pan. This Del Piero being a sure starter and not having a better option to replace him is the big problem of this team.

Apr 29, 2006
Well then the question is how many teams have a player like Del Piero in their squads? We'll scratch Milan, just so your point can still hold ground, but:
Paul Scholes
Date of Birth: Nov 16, 1974
Ryan Giggs
Date of Birth: Nov 29, 1973
Are they starters or not?
..."form is temporary, class is eternal" ...

Dragula

Jul 17, 2006
I dont insult him. I just look to the Now, and the Future. And wail all you wish, about my criticism of his starting place and captaincy, but at least respond to this, with other suggestions other than 'you cant speak of del piero like that, he has done so much for the club'. Indeed, i agree, he has done wonderful things for this club. He has my respect, but that doesn't at all, make me agree that he should be both starting and continuing as our captain. Very separate issues.

If he does well for us, wicked, i wish him to start, but presently, i would prefer us to be starting with someone more spritely, in attack, with a player who can at least run and stand shoulder to shoulder with opponents. Del Piero cannot do these things. That isn't opinion. Its fact.

So continue to blow you del piero trumpets. But I see the club as more important than him, not him AS the club. Others here see the opposite.

None of you Del Piero fanatics have answred my questions...of what other decent teams start with a 35 year old in attack??? and if he is benched, what other top teams start with a captain on the bench??? I am fine to agree with facts, but not fine to agree with the opinions of tunnel visioned del piero fanatics.
I want success for this club, nothing more, nothing less...not glory for del piero before that, or as the only way to that.

if he can do the business...wicked. but if he can't, as seems increasingly likely, then bench him. Yes, its too late now to move the captaincy. should have been done in the summer, but i suppose with diego's sale, and the next in line to the captaincy, Buffon, out for a few months, DP kept the armband. CHanging mid season is wrong. But next summer, its high time we found a new capitano...
Simple answer: No other team has Del Piero in their roster. Age is just a number. At 20 or 36 Del Piero is Del Piero and that's the bottom line

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
None of you Del Piero fanatics have answred my questions...of what other decent teams start with a 35 year old in attack???
It's got nothing to do with captaincy.

and if he is benched, what other top teams start with a captain on the bench??? I am fine to agree with facts, but not fine to agree with the opinions of tunnel visioned del piero fanatics.
As long as he plays, he is the captain. Whenever he is benched, someone else takes the armband.

Sep 1, 2002
As it happens, if/when Buffon returns he should be given the captaincy, and Dp can just concentrate on playing his own game. It might free him of the feeling of being the be all and end all.

In fact giving tge arm-band to Chilli might just do the same thing.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The strange color commentator said during the Samp match that Del Piero is top three in free kicks in history, or perhaps even the best ever. Is that true?

His set pieces were sick on Sunday, that's for sure.

awit

Jan 10, 2010
Objectively speaking Juninho is the best free kick taker in recent history but there are still people who don't know how good he actually is because he never played for a big club. I'm not so familiar with all the old players and their free kick skills but Del Piero is definitely top3-top5 in recent history (10-15 years)

VicCB

Jul 30, 2010
The club must offer him one year extension and then make him retire in Juve and then get a post in the club ...
That's how you treat your icon.
Jesus, you want another year of this? I'd have preferred he retired this year but an even slower and older Del Piero? Let's bring Cassano for next year and stop dragging Del Piero's name in the mud.

Ok, I'll clarify this. I don't think Del Piero is doing any favors to his history and legendary status by dragging himself every week pretending he still has it. He's a legend and should have retired on top.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Jesus, you want another year of this? I'd have preferred he retired this year but an even slower and older Del Piero? Let's bring Cassano for next year and stop dragging Del Piero's name in the mud.

Ok, I'll clarify this. I don't think Del Piero is doing any favors to his history and legendary status by dragging himself every week pretending he still has it. He's a legend and should have retired on top.
Whats with you bringing up Jesus? How is he dragging his name in the mud exactly?

If Del Piero should have retired on top he should have done so 5yrs ago. He really bailed this team out of a lot of crappy scenarios & im pretty sure you were celebrating when he did.

Now i see why you're so popular in this forum.

VicCB

Jul 30, 2010
Whats with you bringing up Jesus? How is he dragging his name in the mud exactly?

If Del Piero should have retired on top he should have done so 5yrs ago. He really bailed this team out of a lot of crappy scenarios & im pretty sure you were celebrating when he did.

Now i see why you're so popular in this forum.
Well, it's an expression, I got used to using that myth's name in conversations. :)

Look at Zidane, he retired at the end of a world cup at 34, still at the top of his game. He made mince meat of so many teams that year, and decided that it was better for people to remember him as an incredible player and not let people start feeling sorry for him after declining and simply not being great anymore.

That's how Del Piero is dragging his name in the mud, instead of retiring as an incredible footballer, he's showing the world how much he doesn't have it anymore and keeps getting worse and worse every year. Yet some people want to give him an extension? He's gone, fans should understand that and Del Piero himself should as well.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Well, it's an expression, I got used to using that myth's name in conversations. :)

Look at Zidane, he retired at the end of a world cup at 34, still at the top of his game. He made mince meat of so many teams that year, and decided that it was better for people to remember him as an incredible player and not let people start feeling sorry for him after declining and simply not being great anymore.

That's how Del Piero is dragging his name in the mud, instead of retiring as an incredible footballer, he's showing the world how much he doesn't have it anymore and keeps getting worse and worse every year. Yet some people want to give him an extension? He's gone, fans should understand that and Del Piero himself should as well.
He should have, he should. Ok, how many more times are you going to say what he should have done or what he should do? We got your message and we know your stance on this. You are wasting your time here VicCB by repeating and repeating the same thing over and over. Alex didn't retire and he doesn't seem to retire in the near future. Live with it. You will probably have a few more years of this so try to get used to it. I know you don't like it but life is cruel. The sooner you accept it the easier it gets for you to get over it :smile:

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007

Juventus will offer him new contracts until he decides to retire. As it was the case with Maldini and as it will be the case with Zanetti and Totti.

Accept that as a fact and don't blame the club for offering him a new contract. It's only up to Del Piero to decide if he wants to play or retire. I just hope Del Piero will do what Nedved did and realize that he doesn't have it anymore and that enough is enough, instead of doing what Maldini did when instead of retiring in 2007 when he won the CL, he made a joke of himself by playing 2 more years and being humiliated left, right and center by no named attackers.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005

Myth? Aren't you cute.

Zidane retired with a red card! You call that retiring at the top?:dielaugh:

People only remember Zizou for his awesome headbutt on Materazzi & his red card, nothing about his performances.

Clearly you forget how Del Piero dragged his name through the mud when he recieved a standing ovation at the bernabeau? You are nothing special & that same crappy arguments been used for like ever but he always battles back.

I do however agree that he should be gradually phased out but not the drastic measures that you're suggesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 174)