Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (225 Viewers)

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
Lippi: Italy Players Deserve Ballon d'Or, Not Ronaldo
The Italian coach doesn't believe Ronaldo deserved to win it and he insists he would have given it to Italian players instead...
Print This Story Send To A Friend Contact Us galleria zoom Italy coach Marcello Lippi has tried to play down Cristiano Ronaldo's Ballon d'Or win by suggesting there is no big deal about it.

The Manchester United ace scooped the award, with Juventus man Gianluigi Buffon appearing in 18th place - the top candidate from Italy.

Lippi believes the only reason Ronaldo won is because football coaches don't vote for the winner and he reveals he would have given it to his Italian national team players.

"Ronaldo won the Ballon d'Or because European journalists voted for him," Lippi told Sky Sport Italia.

"I thought that either Lionel Messi or Ronaldo would have won.

"If it was me then I would have given the award to all my Italian squad players as they are my golden ball winners.

"Everytime I make my squad selection, every player which I pick is a Ballon d'Or winner."

Alessandro Del Piero has constantly been snubbed by the coach but he insists it doesn't matter. The Juventus man has never won the golden ball but Lippi thinks he doesn't need to.

"Del Piero? He has won the World Cup," concluded the coach

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Lippi: Italy Players Deserve Ballon d'Or, Not Ronaldo
The Italian coach doesn't believe Ronaldo deserved to win it and he insists he would have given it to Italian players instead...
Print This Story Send To A Friend Contact Us galleria zoom Italy coach Marcello Lippi has tried to play down Cristiano Ronaldo's Ballon d'Or win by suggesting there is no big deal about it.

The Manchester United ace scooped the award, with Juventus man Gianluigi Buffon appearing in 18th place - the top candidate from Italy.

Lippi believes the only reason Ronaldo won is because football coaches don't vote for the winner and he reveals he would have given it to his Italian national team players.

"Ronaldo won the Ballon d'Or because European journalists voted for him," Lippi told Sky Sport Italia.

"I thought that either Lionel Messi or Ronaldo would have won.

"If it was me then I would have given the award to all my Italian squad players as they are my golden ball winners.

"Everytime I make my squad selection, every player which I pick is a Ballon d'Or winner."

Alessandro Del Piero has constantly been snubbed by the coach but he insists it doesn't matter. The Juventus man has never won the golden ball but Lippi thinks he doesn't need to.

"Del Piero? He has won the World Cup," concluded the coach
man i love this guy!

Sir Psycho Sexy

I AM CANDREVA (kholsit!)
Sep 19, 2008
Alessandro Del Piero scored his 250th goal in a Juventus shirt, so Susy Campanale salutes a true living legend

It probably says something about my age and the amount of time I’ve been watching Serie A that I remember seeing Alex Del Piero’s first goal. Oddly enough, that too was in a 4-0 victory over the similarly-named Reggiana (they were from Emilia Romagna and very different to Calabria’s Reggina, who were thrashed by that same scoreline for his 250th strike).

I recall thinking, 'This kid’s pretty good,’ as the short, skinny 19-year-old burst into the same team as Roberto Baggio, Gianluca Vialli and Fabrizio Ravanelli. 15 years and two months later, he’s still there with the same black and white shirt.

I jumped out of my seat and positively squealed when he scored possibly the greatest goal I have ever seen, that famous volley with the outside of his foot to complete Juve’s comeback from 2-0 down to beat Fiorentina 3-2. I smiled every time he curled that ball into the far top corner in a goal 'alla Del Piero’ that looked for all the world as if it were remote controlled. I stayed up at some ungodly hour to watch as he won the Intercontinental Cup in Japan with the only goal of the game against River Plate.

I watched in horror as he went in for a pointless stoppage-time challenge and struck his left knee against an Udinese player’s hip, snapping the anterior and posterior ligaments. “Imagine the knee is your trousers, held up by a belt and braces. Well, I broke both of them,” he explained during that nine-month lay-off and agonisingly long road to rediscovering his form.

I stood in a bar in Italy defending this immense talent as patrons bayed for blood after another particularly shocking miss in Euro 2000. I was moved as he found his career path in the worst possible moment of his life, scoring a sensational goal against Bari just days after his father’s death. I saw him captain Juventus on their Serie B debut in sunny Rimini and earn a standing ovation from the Bernabeu.

And now here I am, proud to say I was watching when Del Piero shook the snow from his hair before confidently burying a penalty in a 4-0 victory over Reggina. You could not find a better example of a great player, a good man and an honourable representative of club colours. Congratulations, Alessandro. Here’s to the next 250.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/blogs/sc47.html
what a great article ... she's so lucky she's seen him for that long ... i was still a lost child back then :p hehe
forza alex!!!

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
He had also some other nice words for the Captain.... something like he's the best player he has trained and hinting that Ale will feature with the Azzurri but right now he's just trying new faces etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 222)