I hate Macs (1 Viewer)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
The first computer in the house was a mac. I used it for about 5-6 years...and dear lord, it was a pain! I absolutely hate macs, my brother on the other hand is a mac lover. Then again growing up he was an Inter fan :shifty:

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
The first computer in the house was a mac. I used it for about 5-6 years...and dear lord, it was a pain! I absolutely hate macs, my brother on the other hand is a mac lover. Then again growing up he was an Inter fan :shifty:
my lil bro is too, ah well, there's always one bad apple :D

Jan 7, 2004
You know this is what obscures technical debates as well. It's not like Mac is technologically rubbish, it's pretty decent (after all it's Unix :p), but it's hard to even debate technical merits, because there's this whole layer of marketing crust you have to peel off first, and get people to talk on equal terms rather than through Steve Jobs's words.

One thing I find ironic is that although Apple is trying to gain market share through these very low budget ads from "the great evil empire", they also frame the context as if it were just a world of "PC" (which doesn't mean anything anymore) and Mac (which is just a PC with Apple's operating system). Like there's nothing else, no Linux, no Unix, no other OSes. So they want to stay on the map, they want you to always remember Mac being a choice, but never know that they are other choices too. Which is pretty much like how Microsoft doesn't want you to know there is any choice at all.

i think the open source community should do some sort of add campaign in that theme

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
Unless you have been walking around with your eyes closed, and your head encased in a block of concrete, with a blindfold tied round it, in the dark - unless you have been doing that, you surely can't have failed to notice the current Apple Macintosh campaign starring David Mitchell and Robert Webb, which has taken over magazines, newspapers and the internet in a series of brutal coordinated attacks aimed at causing massive loss of resistance. While I don't have anything against shameless promotion per se (after all, within these very brackets I'm promoting my own BBC4 show, which starts tonight at 10pm), there is something infuriating about this particular blitz. In the ads, Webb plays a Mac while Mitchell adopts the mantle of a PC. We know this because they say so right at the start of the ad.

"Hello, I'm a Mac," says Webb.

"And I'm a PC," adds Mitchell.

They then perform a small comic vignette aimed at highlighting the differences between the two computers. So in one, the PC has a "nasty virus" that makes him sneeze like a plague victim; in another, he keeps freezing up and having to reboot. This is a subtle way of saying PCs are unreliable. Mitchell, incidentally, is wearing a nerdy, conservative suit throughout, while Webb is dressed in laid-back contemporary casual wear. This is a subtle way of saying Macs are cool.

The ads are adapted from a near-identical American campaign - the only difference is the use of Mitchell and Webb. They are a logical choice in one sense (everyone likes them), but a curious choice in another, since they are best known for the television series Peep Show - probably the best sitcom of the past five years - in which Mitchell plays a repressed, neurotic underdog, and Webb plays a selfish, self-regarding poseur. So when you see the ads, you think, "PCs are a bit rubbish yet ultimately lovable, whereas Macs are just smug, preening tossers." In other words, it is a devastatingly accurate campaign.

I hate Macs. I have always hated Macs. I hate people who use Macs. I even hate people who don't use Macs but sometimes wish they did. Macs are glorified Fisher-Price activity centres for adults; computers for scaredy cats too nervous to learn how proper computers work; computers for people who earnestly believe in feng shui.

PCs are the ramshackle computers of the people. You can build your own from scratch, then customise it into oblivion. Sometimes you have to slap it to make it work properly, just like the Tardis (Doctor Who, incidentally, would definitely use a PC). PCs have charm; Macs ooze pretension. When I sit down to use a Mac, the first thing I think is, "I hate Macs", and then I think, "Why has this rubbish aspirational ornament only got one mouse button?" Losing that second mouse button feels like losing a limb. If the ads were really honest, Webb would be standing there with one arm, struggling to open a packet of peanuts while Mitchell effortlessly tore his apart with both hands. But then, if the ads were really honest, Webb would be dressed in unbelievably po-faced avant-garde clothing with a gigantic glowing apple on his back. And instead of conducting a proper conversation, he would be repeatedly congratulating himself for looking so cool, and banging on about how he was going to use his new laptop to write a novel, without ever getting round to doing it, like a mediocre idiot.

Cue 10 years of nasal bleating from Mac-likers who profess to like Macs not because they are fashionable, but because "they are just better". Mac owners often sneer that kind of defence back at you when you mock their silly, posturing contraptions, because in doing so, you have inadvertently put your finger on the dark fear haunting their feeble, quivering soul - that in some sense, they are a superficial semi-person assembled from packaging; an infinitely sad, second-rate replicant who doesn't really know what they are doing here, but feels vaguely significant and creative each time they gaze at their sleek designer machine. And the more deftly constructed and wittily argued their defence, the more terrified and wounded they secretly are.

Aside from crowing about sartorial differences, the adverts also make a big deal about PCs being associated with "work stuff" (Boo! Offices! Boo!), as opposed to Macs, which are apparently better at "fun stuff". How insecure is that? And how inaccurate? Better at "fun stuff", my arse. The only way to have fun with a Mac is to poke its insufferable owner in the eye. For proof, stroll into any decent games shop and cast your eye over the exhaustive range of cutting-edge computer games available exclusively for the PC, then compare that with the sort of rubbish you get on the Mac. Myst, the most pompous and boring videogame of all time, a plodding, dismal "adventure" in which you wandered around solving tedious puzzles in a rubbish magic kingdom apparently modelled on pretentious album covers, originated on the Mac in 1993. That same year, the first shoot-'em-up game, Doom, was released on the PC. This tells you all you will ever need to know about the Mac's relationship with "fun".

Ultimately the campaign's biggest flaw is that it perpetuates the notion that consumers somehow "define themselves" with the technology they choose. If you truly believe you need to pick a mobile phone that "says something" about your personality, don't bother. You don't have a personality. A mental illness, maybe - but not a personality. Of course, that hasn't stopped me slagging off Mac owners, with a series of sweeping generalisations, for the past 900 words, but that is what the ads do to PCs. Besides, that's what we PC owners are like - unreliable, idiosyncratic and gleefully unfair. And if you'll excuse me now, I feel an unexpected crash coming.
Great argument...

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #30
    not so true.. Ubuntu've had many billboard ads and ads in print (magazines, etc).. Only thing left is prolly banner exchanges and the superbowl :D
    Well, not exactly. If Ubuntu spent the same amount of money on marketing that Apple does, it would be just as well known a brand by now. I mean in 3 years or whatever they could have taken over the world marketing wise if they wanted to.

Mar 6, 2005
    Well, not exactly. If Ubuntu spent the same amount of money on marketing that Apple does, it would be just as well known a brand by now. I mean in 3 years or whatever they could have taken over the world marketing wise if they wanted to.
    no, no, they need all that cash to send out free ubu discs for all :D

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #32
    Hah! Imagine Steve Jobs sending out free OS X cds. No wait, how about free Madonna cds, without drm. :D

JamalRice10

Mally Loves Nara!
    Nov 25, 2005
    1 Ilove Mac 2 u all opening up my eyes to alot of things that are goign on in the computer world it seems to all be about money. 3 I was recently introduce to linux and i fell in love so i want to learn more so i found out about unix and how all the os came from them. but my point is i think that guy that wrote the article is some what true but is a little bais to pcs

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #35
    Burke, the funny thing about this thread is that you're the kind of Mac user who's exempt from all this bashing. You don't actually care about the brand, you just use it. :D

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
    lol funny article! but I have a confession to make-in october, I was finally able to buy myself a laptop, with a little financial help from family. up until then, I had been using a 1999 IBM, which despite being old and the previous owner knowing nothing, was in great shape, clean as a whistle, and with it's 6 gig HD, 16 mgs of ram or something like that, ran very well. I was even able to run soundforge 6 decently on it! so anyway, I went online, looked at all the main pc companies dell, hp, etc. I ended up finding a great deal. HP dv6052cl, 160 gig HD, 2 gigs RAM, NVidia graphics card (only 64 megs of vram, forget how much shared) webcam, AMD Turion X-2 running at 1.66 or so. all for $1,199. pretty good deal, I thought. basically what I wanted, as I wanted to have the option of doing some casual gaming, but really needed a pc with enough ram for intensive audio processing and editing (cubase sx 3, wavelab, etc). and I wanted to be able to upgrade to vista ultimate eventually. well, after a month of it working pretty well, good audio work, although not great video editing despite having Vegas 6, the thing stopped turning on. now, I'm not a true expert, but from fiddling around on our family pc and my last laptop, I'm pretty competent. after a while, it just refused to turn on, unless I took out the battery and waited for several hours. eventually, I figured out that it was the ram pci controller (pci or something, don't remember anymore) and my thoughts were ah fuck, no way I'll be able to fix it. luckily I bought it at costco rather than a pc store, so I just returned it and got my money back, no questions asked. and I decided, against all odds, to beg, borrow and steal until I could afford a mac book pro. now, I had never bought in to the whole mac thing. sure, they looked good and were probably pretty good machines, but why switch? after all, I had several thousand dollars worth of pc software that I didn't want to give up. but by then bootcamp had been released in beta, so, after figuring out how to afford the damn thing (yes, I'm still repaying my grandfather the $1000 he lent me), I went to the apple store to check things out. well, I ended up getting the higher end 15", 2.33 GHz C2D, 2 gigs ram, 256 ATI 1600 video card, 120 gig HD, etc. and bloody expensive. basically, after using windows for as long as I had been using computers, I decided to switch. here's what I think after having the MBP for 3 months:

It's very fast-C2D is MUCH better than AMDs briefly tops-of-the-pops AMD X-2 series. obviously, this has nothing to do with macs vs pcs, but it has stood out to me in video and audio processing and general multi-tasking.

iLife IS very good for the average consumer, very easy and intuitive to use. it took me 5 minutes to set up firewire video transfer from a sony DV Camcorder, versus more than an hour (admittedly when I didn't know anything about working with video) to set things up with vegas 6 on my HP, using a separate account on the computer specially set up for audio and video work.
    and the final video was in higher quality than in vegas, without me having to delve in to the settings everywhere I turned like I had to in vegas.

physically, the MBP feels high-quality. the body is very sleek, just an inch thin, and feels great. in terms of build quality and feel, it's like the difference between a mercedes and dodge. and I know that people will say as long as the thing works well, then the "feel" is unimportant, right? well, yes, that's true. the whole "luxury" thing is nice, but by no means necessary. BUT! I could go to the dell online store, get as close to the overall specs as possible, and get a great computer I'm sure. and I checked out that option, and guess what? a similarly configured dell e1505 costs almost as much or more, and while the pc would probably be well built, but it wouldn't match the mac in terms of feel, looks, and overall build. that said, I realize that this is more important to some people and less so to others, but for the same price, I go for the better design.

Bootcamp: the first thing I did was get bootcamp, and do my best top get windows (at the time I thought I would be using vegas a lot). bootcamp worked great, although I hate installing any operating system, it went pretty smoothly. which is great, now I have all my old windows software when I need it, and FIFA 07, which I just got. bloody sweet if you ask me. yesterday I cracked parallels and windows, so I now can run both OS's at the same time when I speed isn't a priority. in other words, I'll be able to run microsoft office while in OS X, as well as TVU player, a great windows-only streaming TV app that I use every time I want to catch a football game. it was annoying as hell before having to quit everything in OS X just to restart in windows and catch a game. problem solved :D

one thing that is annoying is that the MBP GPU is under-clocked, only slightly in the C2D version, and I haven't found a way to raise the over-clock in OS X, but in windows it's pretty easy. usually it doesn't matter, but when I'm playing games, particularly when I'm playing them on my aunts 32" HDTV, I wish I could easily raise the clock speed. minor gripe however.

what else? firefox 2.0 isn't as good in the mac version, but I still use it over safari, partly b/c I'm more familiar, and also because at this point I don't want to go through the trouble of exporting bookmarks and the like. Another thing, my IM app of choice, Fire, is inconsistent. some aspects are nice, some things just aren't as good as trillian, mas, or aim. Battery isn't too impressive, but it's ok. I generally don't run it on battery, and when I do I know it wont be too long, so I don't do too much to save battery life. Another thing I like that most people wont really care about is the combo audio I/O, as both are in addition to using regular 1/8 plugs, they are also optical, (S/PDIF) taking the TOSLink mini I/Os. great for playing through a high-end system, or for transfering to and from minidisc or the like without losing quality. so, I would say that at this point, if you're looking for a great overall laptop for power use, gaming, audio, video, the MBP is pretty great. if gaming is your main thing, then you'd probably better off with a dell XPS laptop or the like, which while more expensive, has the edge on the graphics cards, although an XPS with similar specs is definitely more expensive! and the MBP has an express card 34 slot, and while I don't know the possibilities of adding a better graphics card when one comes available, it seems eminently possible.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
    and one more thing:

bluetooth is nice, bluetooth mouse is great, AND as a previous windows user this is great, I can do left and right clicks with the mouse (a mac mouse, you know, the white oval) and with the trackpad. which is a big deal when it comes to usability since I'm used to windows

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)