I didn't like that!!! (1 Viewer)

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Did you see the empoli match?

I saw a very good juve team,but i also saw a team that had an open defense.
Juve have the toughest defense in the world.We proved that last season.Last year top-class players couldn't get passed this defense,but in the empoli match it got passed by players like Rocchi, di natali, and tavano.Last year Ronaldo,Kluivert,Saviola, and many other couldn't get past our defense and in this year we got buffon's net shaken from the 1st game!!!:(

I know its a new formation,and i know that lippi knows there was something wrong.I was just mad when i saw the game.

Its not going to be east on juve, this season we have many many tough teams.
Also in the champions league.We have to have a good defense to be secure.

Buy on AliExpress.com

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
yeah i know what you mean. but its only been one game so far and the result was positive overall so theres no reason to panic.

The players aren't fully fit yet either. Few games under their belt and then we can gauge how good the team really is.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
what differs a good team and a champion is its defence .. well if ur team isnt brazil that is.. our defence do found wanting a couple of times in the empoli match but it wasnt anything to worry... the empoli match is quite a strange match actually.. we hardly get out of 2nd gear and yet we scored a lot of goals... so it doesnt show any indication of our strenght nor our weakness... we have to take into consideration that we do have a new kid on the block who obviously need some time to gel... a few more games into the season and after one or two big guns then we can see more clearly...

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
Yes Sateeh, the defence was :stress: and :undecide: there was just too much space and @ times the guys seamed kinda dreamy. I diddn't like it in that match either. But, there r new guys involved and this was our 1st game. So lets just see what happens with this in the upcomming matches.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
The defence needs to improve, thats for sure, but is not the end of the world.

And Di natale is good!

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
i suppose getting Legrottaglie was meant to strenghthen it. and i believe that it has.

i think once Legro plays more and hopefully Lippi choses Tudor to partner, the defence will be solid again.

i do get worried seeing Montero or Iuliano on the field...even Ferrara at times worries me.

but i'm sure the team will gel soon.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
I wouldn't be too worried about the defenders' performance against Empoli .. we basically played with the offside trap and it paid-off since Di Natale and Rocchi were caught off-side in numerous of occasions .. Legro and Montero slipped in the final minutes and Di Natale was able to score from their mistake and that was that .. However, it's true we were exposed many times before that and Buffon came to the rescue but I'm sure - against other teams - Lippi won't use the offside trap as excessively as he did against Empoli .. Besides, the Legro-Montero partnership need more time to be as solid as last season's Ferrara-Montero's

OP
sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8
    i think legro should be partnered up with ferrara not tudor .

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    The reason why Empoli were able to open up our defence is because of pace. Di Natale, Busce and Rocchi have pace in abundance, while Legrottaglie isn't the fastest player in the world and Montero struggles to keep up with DP at practise.

In other words, what this defence needs is some pace. Legro, Igor and Monte are some of the best tacklers in the game, and Ciro can read the game brilliantly, but none of these players are very fast and that's why players like Saviola, Ronaldo and Nihat will be able to hurt us.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
    The reason why Empoli were able to open up our defence is because of pace. Di Natale, Busce and Rocchi have pace in abundance, while Legrottaglie isn't the fastest player in the world and Montero struggles to keep up with DP at practise.

In other words, what this defence needs is some pace. Legro, Igor and Monte are some of the best tacklers in the game, and Ciro can read the game brilliantly, but none of these players are very fast and that's why players like Saviola, Ronaldo and Nihat will be able to hurt us.
    Agreed. Tough tackling is nothing if you can't catch up to the player to make the tackle, and simply hassling and roughing up attackers isn't enough. Zambro's good at tackling and he's got some pace, but he's not a central defender and will often be found running in attack. I don't know what we should do about our central defenders... we can't sign anyone, and it's so true that we need more pace in central defence.

I suppose getting Legrottaglie was meant to strenghthen it. and i believe that it has.

i think once Legro plays more and hopefully Lippi choses Tudor to partner, the defence will be solid again.
    Strengthened the team he has, but pace is a different matter altogether. I like our team's solid defence, but solid is pointless if they're gonna be a solid block of defenders with attackers running rings around them :down:

Mona

Feb 24, 2003
    I think Legro didn't get used to play with juve in the official matches!!(so he did some mistakes).

Hope that lippi will fix it!!

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
    Yeah, i think he's doing well, but just needs a bit more practice with the team to gel. He looks a bit.... out of place @ times...

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
    well Gray, juve are f-u-c-k-e-d then because tudor, montero, ferrara, legro, iuliano and fresi are not fast at all.

so basically, juve will be in trouble all season.

what tudor and legro do have though is strength and height which i believe we need. tudor isnt fast, but he beats his man through his strength and height. And legro basically works the same, although not as well as tudor does.

they both are not losing their qualities like montero and ferrara are. this is what worries me about montero and ciro, they have the brains, but their legs and bodies dont agree with their brains anymore.

personally, i would rather have a tudor-legro partnership knowing that when fully fit and in form, they are not aging and losing their pace or agile.

this is why maybe a player such as Chivu would have been a better buy for our defence. even Lucio maybe as he has plenty of pace.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    Are you sure Legro is not fast? :undecide: I was told that he's quite quick, not a speedy gonzales, but enough to not have problems with catching the opponent :confused:

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
    well we diddn't have exactly what you would call a fast defence last year, but they did great overall.

This year, main change defence wise is Legro who is younger and should be faster, so i still think he just needs more time..... alot of players when they come to Juve take quite some time to play really well. The couple we have this season are doing pretty well alreday IMO

So if anything we're just having a little defence hicup in the beginning.... as the season continues we should have a better defence than last season.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    Defence has always been a strong point with us. However this year, there's no doubt it forms the provebial chink in the armour for Juve. And I dont think Legro will have a telling effect in making out defense better or worse than last year. Even though the core is the same, it's gonna require clever rotation on the part of Marcello Lippi. And there is no doubt our defense needs rebuilding. Although i dont see us be the best defense this year, our defense is still up to the task of hanging in there with the RVNs, Henries and Ronaldos.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    Funny, you just listed thé 3 names I'm almost 100% sure that our defence would be outplayed, trashed, over-speeded, brought to its knees ... bottom line, would not be equal to the opponent :)

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
    Dec 20, 2002
    I'm starting to miss Ferrara on the pitch beside Montero. Those two are a force to reckon with. WHy dot we give Ferrara more time to play and let Legro learn from him on the bench once in a while. I think Legro needs more time to gel with the team inorder to achieve the synchrony that the Ferrara-Montero partnership has.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Welcome to the forums bigq :D

Yes, I think we're all worried by the ageing defence,

Montero - 32
    Thuram - going on 32
    Pessotto - 33
    Iuliano - 30
    Ciro - 36, way past his due date.

Our youngest defender is Tudor, who's 25, and he's not exactly top choice these days...

The purchase of Legro (27) made things a bit better for us, but Thuram and Monty have only got 2 or 3 more years in them, and Iuliano isn't a great defender (he also might be sold to Chelsea according to some reports).

I think we need to get 2 young(ish) defenders next season. I'm not gonna bother throwing up the usual names (Chivu, Mexes, Grygera)... the point is, we'll need new defenders soon. I'm really hoping Thuram has got 4 more years in those legs of his, because the man is an absolute machine :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)