How many languages do you speak fluently? (9 Viewers)

How many languages do you speak fluently?

• 6+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Nice to know that ..

Arabic grammar is also difficult .. Many Arabs don't even know some basic grammar because they always use their own dialect .. Real Arabic which is called ( Fos'ha ) is rarely USED ..

Arabic poem is also difficult to understand, especialy old poem .. Many vocabulary become extincted .. :crazy:

But I heard that the Catalan language is probably the most difficult language to learn and speak .. :shocked:

anyway IMO I think European people are more capable to learn a new language and speak in it than other races ..

Italian and German sounds cool .. I wish I had time to learn Italian at least .. :wub:

Yeah, I have an irish friend who rarely speaks Irish and only with his mother .. it's completely different from English although the two cultures are close geographically .. :jvefan:

Agreed. "Rarely used" is an understatement. Its never used, have you ever heard people talking to each other in Fos7a, or original Arabic? Funnily enough, when you see someone talking in original Arabic, you automatically assume he's a non Arab that has learned Arabic.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Arabic grammar is really difficult to learn. It could be the bad system of teaching Arabic language at our schools but 6 years of learning it at schools, I can only understand some sentences and phrases and that's about it. Difficult grammatical rules plus too many exceptions for every rule makes it really hard to pick up.

Jul 9, 2008
Agreed. "Rarely used" is an understatement. Its never used, have you ever heard people talking to each other in Fos7a, or original Arabic? Funnily enough, when you see someone talking in original Arabic, you automatically assume he's a non Arab that has learned Arabic.
Agreed ..

Only people who want to learn it use fos7a + In Arabic classes, some teachers think that they are livin in " AL-JAHELEYA " era .. :D

But TBH, Arabic is a beautiful language .. so romantic in songs and poem .. I suppose u agree with that .. :weee:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Arabic grammar is really difficult to learn. It could be the bad system of teaching Arabic language at our schools but 6 years of learning it at schools, I can only understand some sentences and phrases and that's about it. Difficult grammatical rules plus too many exceptions for every rule makes it really hard to pick up.
No, Arabic grammar is difficult even for Arabs. I for one am not very good at it.

Agreed ..

Only people who want to learn it use fos7a + In Arabic classes, some teachers think that they are livin in " AL-JAHELEYA " era .. :D

But TBH, Arabic is a beautiful language .. so romantic in songs and poem .. I suppose u agree with that .. :weee:
Definitely, Arab poems are a real treat. Arabic is a great language :tup:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Nice to know that ..

Arabic grammar is also difficult .. Many Arabs don't even know some basic grammar because they always use their own dialect .. Real Arabic which is called ( Fos'ha ) is rarely USED ..

Arabic poem is also difficult to understand, especialy old poem .. Many vocabulary become extincted .. :crazy:

But I heard that the Catalan language is probably the most difficult language to learn and speak .. :shocked:
Basque is more difficult.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
Hard to define what's fluent and what is not. Farsi, for example, is literally my mother tongue and the only language I have ever used with my family. Speaking it comes very naturally to me and I have no trouble at all in Iran, yet I can't fully understand modern day political speeches, such as those of Ahmadinejad in the UN.

Too many academic and religious words of Arabic origin that confuse me.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Hard to define what's fluent and what is not. Farsi, for example, is literally my mother tongue and the only language I have ever used with my family. Speaking it comes very naturally to me and I have no trouble at all in Iran, yet I can't fully understand modern day political speeches, such as those of Ahmadinejad in the UN.

Too many academic and religious words of Arabic origin that confuse me.
I have the same problem with Urdu. The Urdu spoken in speeches and news is way too complicated. I like to call it "old Urdu" but it's academic Urdu really and I think most of the words they use are in Farsi.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
lol, Lithuanian ain't close to Russian at all, two completely different languages. just take a look at the alphabet for example.

I'm pretty much the same, three languages, Latvian instead of Lithuanian. I studied German for 7 or 8 years at school, but when I go to German speaking countries I can communicate only in English. :D

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
lol, Lithuanian ain't close to Russian at all, two completely different languages. just take a look at the alphabet for example.
Not a good example with the alphabet :D
Serbian and Croatian are practically the same language. Our alphabet is very similar to Lithuanian, while the Serbian alphabet is very similar to the Russian one.

But the main point stands. Bozi rushed in :D
It's a case of two languages from two different families. Icelandic is closer to English (both are Germanic languages) than Lithuanian is to Russian (one is Baltic the other one Slavic). The only things in common is their indo-european origin and maybe certain borrowed words due to the closeness and the history.

Powis

Dec 9, 2009

I'm pretty much the same, three languages, Latvian instead of Lithuanian. I studied German for 7 or 8 years at school, but when I go to German speaking countries I can communicate only in English. :D
Labvakr brali :D

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Prieks tevi redzēt :p

Could you please write 5555 (i guess this was the tricky number) with words in lithuanian? :D

Not a good example with the alphabet :D
Serbian and Croatian are practically the same language. Our alphabet is very similar to Lithuanian, while the Serbian alphabet is very similar to the Russian one.
My bad, thought that's a great argument to end the discussion :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)