How Google Works (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
If you're interested, I once saw the paper Google's two founders wrote when still at Stanford University about their new search engine. About 15 pages in PDF, with illustrations. I'm sure you can google for it. :)

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #3
    If you're interested, I once saw the paper Google's two founders wrote when still at Stanford University about their new search engine. About 15 pages in PDF, with illustrations. I'm sure you can google for it. :)
    Thanks, Martin...

I'll try to google it, and more importantly I'll try to understand it:D

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    The real question is, why is their PR so good for a company of this size?
    It's not PR. They rest their laurels on the PR their users afford them for their products. They have an extremely loyal following. Heck, even a smilie on this site: :google:.

The company is sick with hubris and arrogance from the inside. And I fear how their massive culture of entitlement will weather the inevitable first unprofitable streak that happens to every business (when they take a brief fall, I can't see it being anything short of hard).

But Google scores massively on what's called "Net Promoter Score" (or NPS, developed by some marketing consulting geeks at Satmetrix). As a measure of user loyalty, it's not really about how often a user visits, etc. Perhaps a truer measure of user loyalty is how much a user/customer is willing to stake their own reputation on the line by making a recommendation of them to a trusted friend.

The NPS for a company is essentially taking the percentage of users who rate among the highest recommendation promoters and subtracting the "detractors" -- or the percentage of users who wouldn't recommend them to a friend.

In the airline industry, for example, they found no airline was capable of increasing their profits without also improving their NPS.

So Google's success isn't about what a PR team is saying about them. It's about what Google users are saying about them to their friends. Some merited, IMO, and some undeserved.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    And yet how Google works above is little different from how MSN Search or Yahoo/Inktomi Search work. But they got the branding thing down...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    So Google's success isn't about what a PR team is saying about them. It's about what Google users are saying about them to their friends. Some merited, IMO, and some undeserved.
    Of all the ways to win customer loyalty, this has to be the best one, though. Not with vendor lock-in, but with customer satisfaction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)