how come. (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2002
i watched it once. was a little drunk. remember i liked accents a lot. dont remember much else though. never watched it again.

and pulp fiction is the greatest movie ever.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
and pulp fiction is the greatest movie ever.
I watched that, convinced that it was going to be great. When it was over, my first thought was, "Is that it?" I kept waiting for the punch-line. It's a pointless, meandering film. Each part is excellent, but the whole is unsatisfying.

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

I watched that, convinced that it was going to be great. When it was over, my first thought was, "Is that it?" I kept waiting for the punch-line. It's a pointless, meandering film. Each part is excellent, but the whole is unsatisfying.
thats what i liked the most. :undecide:

maybe not the greatest ever but category "the greatest" is so subjective that pulp fiction is just fine for me..

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
pointless film? anyone seen gummo?

review:

Gummo
1997 - USA - 88 min. - Feature, Color

In this elliptical ensemble piece, which marks the directorial debut of indie bad boy Harmony Korine, the teens of tornado-scarred Xenia, OH, kill cats, tape their boobies, arm-wrestle, bathe, cross-dress, huff glue, avoid perverts, pay to have sex with retarded girls, lift makeshift dumbbells to the strains of Madonna's "Like a Prayer," fight, cuss, shave their eyebrows, undergo cancer treatment, euthanize senior citizens, and pee on passing cars. A hallucinatory barrage of images and scenarios with little in the way of traditional plot, Gummo has been variously described as a surrealist joke, a visual poem, and a worm's-eye view of white-trash suffering. The main characters include Solomon (Jacob Reynolds), who sells cat carcasses to a middleman who procures them for use at a local Chinese restaurant; his mother (Linda Manz), who teaches him to tap dance while reminiscing about her dead husband; Tummler (Nick Sutton), a mullet-haired local sex symbol; a midget (Bryant L. Crenshaw); a pair of boy-crazy, bleach-blond sisters named Dot (Chloe Sevigny) and Helen (Carisa Bara); a **** with a lump in her breast (Lara Tosh); a group of drunken louts; and Bunny Boy (Jacob Sewell), who wanders the town enigmatically in a pair of long pink ears. In between scenes of these characters enacting their bizarre routines, Korine intersperses impressionistic and quasi-documentary scenes with voice-over narration that ranges from incest memoirs to arty dialogue along the lines of "He's got what it takes to be a legend: He's got a marvelous persona." Shot just outside Nashville, TN, Gummo includes costume designs by Korine's then-girlfriend, Chloe Sevigny, who also plays Dot and who previously starred in the Korine-scipted, Larry Clark-directed Kids. Jacob Reynolds would go on to appear in Getting to Know You, though few of the director's other discoveries have appeared on film since. -- Brian J. Dillard

Although it's not for the weak of heart or the easily offended, this bizarre offering from precocious auteur Harmony Korine certainly is amusing and disturbing in equal measures. Say what you will about a hipster New York director wallowing in the go-nowhere lives of a bunch of dirt-poor rural teens, but these disjointed vignettes have both a traffic-accident magnetism and a surreal beauty. Korine spent part of his childhood in Nashville, near where Gummo was filmed, and his stylistic choices here blur the distinctions between documentary, improvisation, and fictional filmmaking. It's hard to know how to take some of this stuff; the writer/director exerts no discernible point of view beyond a hint of detached amusement. But the film's uncertainty is precisely what makes it so refreshingly honest. The sheer crassness of some of the scenarios -- a boy discovering a lump in the breast of the girl he's feeling up, a retarded teen turning tricks while her brother/pimp tweaks his nipples, and Korine himself jokily propositioning a gay African-American dwarf while recounting tales of being sodomized as a child -- may rankle. The absurd humor and outré imagery, however, should go over well with the urban sophisticates at whom the film is pitched. Korine's muse, Chloe Sevigny, turns in the most indelible of her many white-trash chic performances, trumping even her celebrated role in Boys Don't Cry. Meanwhile, newcomers Jacob Reynolds, Nick Sutton, and Jacob Sewell, among others, make quite an impression with their vérité-tinged performances. Character actor Max Perlich enjoys a brief but memorable cameo, while Days of Heaven actress Linda Manz provides a hilarious tap dancing lesson and a few wonderful maternal harangues. Whether all of this adds up to much is for the viewer to decide, but for adventurous cinephiles, Gummo certainly offered up one of the least-predictable American indies of the late '90s. -- Brian J. Dillard

OP
Lawnchair Bes
Jan 7, 2004
  • Thread Starter #27
    well i just finished watchin it. not a bad movie at all although i remeber watchin a similiar one some months ago. well at least it didnt have a love story in it.

OP
    Lawnchair Bes
    Jan 7, 2004
  • Thread Starter #28
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

two things that i loved was when Bullet tooth says: "u should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"

and when Brad Pitt knocks out the second guy and the picture freezes and the other guy says " Now we are f*****"

well the only thing that bothers me about these kinds of movies is how things just get together by chance.

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by only_juve_4ever ] ++
    Snatch?? never herd of it...... But it sounds great coming from you guisse!!
    What annoys me about that film is the lame attempts at the gypsie (packie i think the english call them?) accent. Its nothing like that at all.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    in snatch theres just one specific part i thought was ridiculous. when jones is in the pub waiting for farina to get washed up, and "lennie" "tyrone" and "sol: come in with replicas(the dick and balls speech)- you will notice that the manner in which the bartender ducks behind the counter is so utterly ridiculous that if i was there i would buy a brand-new pair of shoes JUST to slap him with em. in fact if he had relatives on set i would piss on their shoes too. watch it again and get back to me. that was imho the one goal that took away the movie's clean sheet.
    Funny, I didn't notice the bartender in that part of the movie

++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++

two things that i loved was when Bullet tooth says: "u should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"

and when Brad Pitt knocks out the second guy and the picture freezes and the other guy says " Now we are f*****"
    Indeed those be good. I could start talking about my favourite scenes, but that'd just flood the bloody thread.

++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
    well the only thing that bothers me about these kinds of movies is how things just get together by chance.
    I actually liked that scene where it all comes together. Tony and Avi are driving along, then Tommy chucks Turkish's milk out of the car and it hits them. Borys stumbles around outside and the three clowns come and smack him out. Classic!

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
    I wouldnt know because i never heard of it. But i guess if you call a pikey and pikey then they would kick the shit outa you.

But actually in reality all they do is sell carpets, try to steal things in supermarkets and such.

And actually i dont really know because ive only seen about 2 in my life :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)