Holy sweet mother of El Burro's sacred burial grounds! Chelsea is rich (1 Viewer)

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
Chelsea's real revolution

Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, the new owner of Chelsea Football Club, has written a blank cheque of 225 million euros for Blues boss Claudio Ranieri to build a squad of stars to rival the celestial brilliance of Real Madrid.

Virtually every player who might be available this summer, and a few who aren't, is being linked with a move to Chelsea. A wish list that reads like a who's- who of world football: Patrick Kluivert, Thierry Henry, Patrick Viera, Alessandro Nesta, Edgar Davids, Andriy Shevchenko.... The list goes on!

Chelsea chairman Ken Bates has indicated that any changes will be gradual. But the quality of players being looked at would indicate that Chelsea are looking for established stars to immediately strengthen the team.

"We're only four or five weeks from the season and it would be madness to buy players and throw them in willy nilly."

"But we are looking to strengthen as we're one or two short after letting a few go at the end of the season. We're looking for quality players and were looking for them before Thursday [when Abramovich took over]. You'll be pleasantly surprised when the first team selection is announced."

MONEY TALKS

As Real Madrid boss Fiorentino Perez has shown in the Spanish capital; offer enough money and you can prise the most loyal servant away from home.

Amongst the rumours and gossip that have engulfed Stamford Bridge since Abramovich's arrival, there might be some grains of truth. After all, Real Madrid are proof of the 'where there's smoke there's fire' world of football transfers.

Barcelona have refused to pay a loyalty bonus to Kluivert, triggering a release clause in the Dutchman's contract that could see him leave the Nou Camp for as little as £1.2 million.

Chelsea are apparently ready to offer Kluivert £3.5 million in wages in an effort to lure the Dutchman to the club and replace crowd favourite 36-year-old Gianfranco Zola, who has returned to his childhood club Cagliari in the Italian Serie B.

Another target that Ranieri may realistically investigate is the marauding midfielder Davids, whose position at Juventus is under threat from new boy Stephen Appiah. The 22-year old Ghanaian is a tireless bundle of energy and smooth technique, and is earmarked as eventual replacement at the Delle Alpi, but a 'silly money' bid in the region of £20 million would tempt even La Vecchia Signora, to cut short the grooming process.

AMBITIOUS MOVES

Perhaps Chelsea's most ambitious raid will be on fellow-London club Arsenal. Abramovich has unashamedly declared his admiration for Gunner Thierry Henry and reports in the British media claim that the Russian will stop at nothing to bring Highbury's French trio to King's Road.

Arsenal's financial plight is well documented and huge offers for Henry, Viera and Robert Pires might tempt Arsene Wenger. Henry is contracted to the North London club until 2006, but Viera, on the other hand, is out of contract at the end of the next season, and Arsenal may prefer to cash in now, before he is free to leave for nothing.

-------

225 mil dollars? this is unfair man...and they are smart enuff to not buy every1 in one season..:down:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by El Idiota ] ++
why?
Because this guy is a thief with fancy clothes if you ask me.

He's in the Russian oil industry, which is absolutely rotten and controlled by the mafia. I would be very, VERY surprised if this guy would turn out to have clean hands.

I'm just surprised he dared to come to the West and then so openly by buying a football club...

++ [ originally posted by El Idiota ] ++
oh and btw, change the 'sweat' to 'sweet'
Done.

OP
Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

Because this guy is a thief with fancy clothes if you ask me.

He's in the Russian oil industry, which is absolutely rotten and controlled by the mafia. I would be very, VERY surprised if this guy would turn out to have clean hands.

I'm just surprised he dared to come to the West and then so openly by buying a football club...

maybe he is..i saw him on national geographic...and full hour on him...and he seems a pretty good guy to me ;)

OP
    Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #7
    what? did he also buy over Nat Geo? ;)

if ur correct tho, then i think chelsea oughta use all that money now will they still have it

OP
    Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    they wish, they buy :down:

++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    two teams? There's another team besides Man Utd? :D
    southampton :strong:

well, actually, no :D

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Here is some info on Russian mystery called Roman Abramovich.

The sun will no longer set on Roman Abramovich's empire. After buying control of Chelsea Football Club this week for $100m, plus its debts, the 36-year-old multi-billionaire has assets stretching from London via 12time-zones to the north-eastern Russian provinance of Chukotka, where he is governor.
    The purchase may not win him many admirers in Britain, which has seen its share of rich foreigners with interesting reputations buying football clubs in an attempt to look respectable-most notably Mohamed Al-Fayed, the owner of Fulham FC, who also had his sights on Chelsea at one point. But if Mr Abramovich is trying to impress anyone, it is probably not the Brits. Buying a top English team, in a part of London where lots of rich Russians have second homes, will get him plenty of kudos in Russia-especially if his money can turn the club into a championship winner.
    For Mr Abramovich, it is low price to pay for respect. He has long been one of the most reclusive and mysterious of Russia's oligarchs. An orphan, he got into business in the dying days of the Soviet Union, but made his money after buying Sibneft, a medium-sized Russian oil firm. Like Yukos, a bigger oil firm, Sibneft went from being an inefficient monster, acquired who knows how, into an investor's darling. But where Mikhail Khodorkovsky, boss of Yukos, remodelled himself as a poster-boy of modern Russian business, Mr Abramovich has not shaken off his old image.
    In part this is because he is more of a profiteer. He sold most of his Sibneft stake to Yukos in merger earlier this year-the deal included $3billion in cash, out of which Chelsea's price was but pocket change-and also holds or has held large stakes in some of the country's biggest aluminium, car, airline, and media firms. His bid for Chukotka governorship ( which he won after showering largesse from his own pocket on the dirt-poor population) was puzzling, but turned out to make business sense: the law then allowed the governor to grant waivers to trading firms that Sibneft had registered in Chukotka. For three years, Sibneft's effective tax rate was the lowest of all Russian majors.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
    Why the hell didn't this guy buy Lazio :(
    I think Baldini is doing well in Lazio as it is.;).
    He restructured debt and has tried to deliver some cost cutting measures. I think he has been wise in choosing whom to keep and whom to sell, i.e. Building the team from Stankovic was a good move, and loosing Lopez or Chiesa shouldn't hurt you guys too much.:).

I actually feel sorry for Chelsea fans in many way. If this Russian guy cannot turn into European contender, the teams image is going to go into tatters, and also if buying success was that easy, I bet Moratti would have had tons of trophies to boast about by now.;). Beside, IMO, Chelsea has too weak base to build contender instantly. Name me a legit WC player in their team whereas Lazio already have Stam, Stankovic, Fiore to build up. Anyway, however rich this Russian guy is he is not going to outspend Silvio Belusconi, who is probably more rutheless than him anyway.:D. If Lazio can replenish youth team, which has in recent year have produced some very good players, Pinzi, Di Vaio and Nesta to name some, and keep those young players then there is no reason why you can't compete against the big European teams.:)

K10

Jul 12, 2002
    I was just saying if that Russian guy took over Lazio we could buy any player we want and become the italian real madrid.

However, I am more than happy as it is right now.

I think Lazio have the best team. Even better than Juve:eek:

If we get Mutu it will be great.

Mutu - Del Piero
    Trez/Di Viao - Corradi, Lopez (might actualy stay)
    Nedved - okay, that's a problem but if Lazio get Jorgensen and Pizzaro
    Davids - Simeonoe, Gianncheddia
    Thuram - Oddo, no competition however
    Legro - Stam
    Buffon - Peruzzi, Peruzzi is still great

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)