Holy Souls (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Portugal’s hero goalkeeper Ricardo says he will walk all the way to the Catholic shrine of Fatima if Portugal win the trophy.

Portugal’s boss Luis Felipe Scolari walked all the 100km to the shrine of Our Lady of Caravaggio in his homeland Brazil after winning the 2002 World Cup.

Where do you think the Italian Team should walk to as penance...bare footed...carrying the heavy dissapointment of their nation on their shoulders...?

Personally I'd have made them walk all the way back home from the tournament, accompanied, of course, by twenty near naked underware models:dontcare:

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
    Personally I'd have made them walk all the way back home from the tournament, accompanied, of course, by twenty near naked underware models:dontcare:

The more I think about this the less I like this idea. Their agents would probably get them sponsored by Nike for walking shoes, Pepsi for the liquid refreshment's, Gucci for the sun glasses, and Ambre Solare for the factor 25 lotion, and so on...

Damn these good looking, rich, talented sports guys...I hate them, I hate them, I wish I was them:down:

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #10
    Bye the way...is it true that it was Eusebio who told Ricardo to take his gloves off as he had received a message from God to tell him to go bare handed?

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
    Bye the way...is it true that it was Eusebio who told Ricardo to take his gloves off as he had received a message from God to tell him to go bare handed?
    suuuuureeee...

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #14
    ++ [ originally posted by blackmint ] ++

suuuuureeee...

No...seriously...I heard a report on the radio that this is what is being claimed in Portugal.

Eusebio was also seen on TV running down the line towards the keeper, just before the penalty, shaking his hands in front of himself.

Anyone else see this too?

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I'm not at all surprised by this. My wife is of Portuguese (Azores, actually) descent. Her mom took her on a pilgrimage to Fatima some 15 years ago to honor the spiritual strength she had to raise my wife as a single mother when her husband died when she was 2. And then there's Scolari's recent story of seeing Figo in the locker room with a radio and an image of "Our Lady of Fatima". It's a Portuguese thing.

But it's not all that different than, say, the Spanish either. Did you forget about how Javier Irureta, Deportivo's coach, vowed to do the equivalent Spanish thing -- make the famous 70km pilgrimmage to Santiago De Compostela (on his knees!) -- if they would come from behind in their home leg with AC Milan in the CL? A 4-0 score later, apparently he did. Though not on his knees ... which perhaps explains why God's wrath took the form of Derlei's penalty kick to knock them out of the semi-finals. ;)

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    No...seriously...I heard a report on the radio that this is what is being claimed in Portugal.

Eusebio was also seen on TV running down the line towards the keeper, just before the penalty, shaking his hands in front of himself.

Anyone else see this too?
    The story I heard from an interview with Ricardo was that Eusebio came down on the field to inspire the team before the PKs ( since Figo wasn't available :rolleyes: ). He apparently gave Ricardo some words of advice about stopping the next kick -- since Ricardo was pretty steamed about getting beat down the center at least three kicks in a row.

Eusebio apparently gave him advice from a former goalie/teammate, saying to stare down his opponent and to be motionless. Meanwhile, Ricardo (apparently on his own volition) said he wanted to do something to both psyche himself up after those 3 kicks down the middle and to perhaps throw off Vassell -- and what came to mind at that point in time was to simply take his gloves off.

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
    did anyone notice if Trap poured holy water on the pitch before the games,
    like he did during WC 2002!!!

made some real wonders back then so I'm just wondering!!! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)