Holland thanks the Czechs (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
UNCONDITIONAL RESPECT

Amsterdam, Netherlands - "Free drinks for all Czechs! And does anyone have Milan Baroš' phone number?", Holland is going wild after the Czech Republic continued their winning spree against the Germans last night, "There are new kings in town! Nobody messes with our friends the Czechs!"

The worshipping began yesterday evening, in the Estadio Municipál de Braga where, instead of the traditional Dutch songs, a Dutch translation of the Czech national anthem and songs such as Czechia, Czechia, can we hug you when we see ya? and Quick 'n' slick, its the Czech Republic! filled the atmosphere in the stadium where Holland beat Latvia.

And for once after a German loss, the focus wasn't on them (though Schade Deutschland alles ist vorbei [Pity Germany, its all over] was still sung on some occasions). The realisation that Holland would have been eliminated had it not been for the Czechs made sure they got their due thanks. One group of fans had even made a golden ball trophee for Milan Baroš: "We knew he was going to singlehandedly eliminate the Germans! We'll make sure this trophee, which we entitled 'player of the tournament', will be delivered to him!"

The media too praised the Czechs with most Dutch newspaper carrying huge, page-wide titles praising the Central European nation's efforts. The Czechs have made new friends.

From Provinciale Zeeuwse Courant
Translation by Erik

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Hmm let's see what they'll see when the Czechs beat them again...and again, and again and again. Man, they really avenged that loss in Euro 2000.

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #10
    Yes you are :D

++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++
    Hmm let's see what they'll see when the Czechs beat them again...and again, and again and again.
    Nothing probably. Just like after the last match which everyone knows we lost because of actions from our own side. The Czechs played better in our last two meetings - they deserved to win both and they did.

You're Belgian right? I think I noticed every single post of you about the Dutch being based on negative stereotypes... Do correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #13
    ++ [ originally posted by kaizer ] ++
    arent holland in the same group with czechs in WC qualifiers as well Erik?

mann, u cant get away from 'em can u.....:D
    Yes that's true - we won't make it past them then I'm sure cause a lot of players will retire after this tournament and there aren't any good replacements. If you ask me, this tournament will have been the last you will have heard from Holland in a long time once its over.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    Yes you are :D

Nothing probably. Just like after the last match which everyone knows we lost because of actions from our own side. The Czechs played better in our last two meetings - they deserved to win both and they did.

You're Belgian right? I think I noticed every single post of you about the Dutch being based on negative stereotypes... Do correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yes, I'm Belgian, but I don't dislike Dutch or something. I do dislike their media and am a fan of the Czechs. And you do have to admit some of the stereotypes are true. Holland's strange mass hysteria being one of them. Nonetheless I like their football team. I just don't like their papers hailing the Czechs as their saviours when only a year ago they were bemoaning them. But mostly do I dislike the way they threat Germany now. OK, so Germany isn't in it anymore, but that can't feel like a victory for Holland now can it? I mean, Holland tied against Germany and were the weaker side so they shouldn't make so much fun out of them now.

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #15
    ++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++
    Yes, I'm Belgian, but I don't dislike Dutch or something. I do dislike their media and am a fan of the Czechs. And you do have to admit some of the stereotypes are true. Holland's strange mass hysteria being one of them.
    About disliking the media - I'm not a fan of any media myself either. Globally I mean, they all have strange prejudices imo.

And about mass hysteria; I'm sure the Belgians would celebrate too. Though I admit we can be a bit extreme sometimes :undecide:

Nonetheless I like their football team. I just don't like their papers hailing the Czechs as their saviours when only a year ago they were bemoaning them.
    Yeah but that's football. One day you're someone's enemy, the other you need them to bail you out. What should we have done today? Not thank them? That would have seemed ungrateful!

But mostly do I dislike the way they threat Germany now. OK, so Germany isn't in it anymore, but that can't feel like a victory for Holland now can it? I mean, Holland tied against Germany and were the weaker side so they shouldn't make so much fun out of them now.
    Ah but that's how a rivalry works - I'm sure the Germans would have made fun of us too had it been the other way around. But you're right - its not like we beat them directly or anything.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

And about mass hysteria; I'm sure the Belgians would celebrate too. Though I admit we can be a bit extreme sometimes :undecide:
    You know, if your mass hysteria was just a little bit more stylish..:D

Feb 29, 2004
    'Nedved has a unique knee'

SINTRA, Portugal, June 24 (Reuters) - Less than 12 hours after watching from the substitutes' bench as his team mates secured a third successive Euro 2004 victory, Pavel Nedved returned to training with his usual relish on Thursday.
    Jogging, sprinting, turning and diving, he showed no signs of fatigue or the slight knee injury that persuaded the Czech Republic's coach Karel Brueckner to rest him from the 2-1 victory over Germany.

As he joined in the exercises with nine other senior players in front of a loyal band of Czech supporters, there was no evidence that he was any different to the other 22 men in the squad.

But, according to team doctor Petr Krejci, he is unique, the only man he knows whose kneecap is split into three different parts.

'Most people have a single piece of bone to make their kneecap,' Krejci told Reuters on Thursday. 'One per cent of people have two parts, but three parts. Only Nedved.'

He said Nedved's unique knee was known as a patella tri-partitia and it explained why he had a loping, almost shuffling, running style.

'We only really found out about this when he went to Italy and first began to be examined by the Italian doctors,' he explained. 'Before that, I don't think anyone really noticed at all.'

He said Nedved's knees were both the same and that this explained his running style and his ability to retain control of the ball so adeptly in many tight situations.

As to Nedved's fitness at Euro 2004, he said the Czechs' captain and midfield inspiration had complained of a slight soreness and pain, mostly due to an operation he underwent six years ago to tidy up one of the kneecaps.

----------------------------------

wow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)