History section of Juventuz (1 Viewer)

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
I just moved and just got my new computer today, so it's taking a while... Sorry about that, but I'll get back to business soon enough. Meanwhile, more people should step up and actually contribute something in this matter.

Holygr4le

Aug 4, 2005
Erkka said:
I just moved and just got my new computer today, so it's taking a while... Sorry about that, but I'll get back to business soon enough. Meanwhile, more people should step up and actually contribute something in this matter.
Feeling guilty...
:choc:

Geof

May 14, 2004
I'd love to help, but my Juve History legend is very low...

As soon as I've got some time I'll try to do something. Somewhere in March

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
mikhail said:
Bump.

Anyone want to add a fresh contribution here?
I got this idea about new topic, "Players articles", which you mods could make sticky and which would be kept totally spam free. Or why not even whole new section for player articles so people could start new threads for new articles?! That would lure more people to read the articles and even make their owns?!

I'm going to make the topic first and then pm to Marty.

Geof said:
I'd love to help, but my Juve History legend is very low...

As soon as I've got some time I'll try to do something. Somewhere in March
Trust me, this is by far the best way to improve the knowledge about legends and it doesn't even take that long of your time with the help of Internet, books and other sources.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
Sorry about spamming, but I wouldn't mind mods answering to me?!

Did anyone actually even check this out? http://www.juventuz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14609

...Anyway, I carry on and copy paste the article I wrote about Cabrini. Mikhail, you want to do the honours?

Antonio Cabrini

Northern Italy Anno domini 1957. Autumn's biggest thing is the black&white tsunami that goes forward destroying everything on it's way. The whole Italy seems to have forgotten last season's pathetic Juventus that was forced to fight against relegation in the end of the season. Now people are talking about the fantastic megapurchases, Charles and Sivori. This season will end at historical 10th scudetto and the first star, but in that year happened also something else that changed Juve's and whole footballing world's history. In the middle of this all near Cremona, at a small farm habitated by Cabrini's clan for two hundred years before this, one can distantly notice a scream on the autumnlike wind. Beautiful boy came to see this world at 8th of October 1957.

Baptized as Antonio, this boy grew well and at young age he got interested about football. As a little boy he supported AC Milan, after all the rossoneri were a major force and Antonio grew only a little distance away to East from Milan. As 13-year-old Cabrini moved from his poor homefarm to Cremona to live in his grandmother's house. Back then Antonio was still interested about football and books, and those two were also the reasons behind his departure from home. The plan was that Antonio's future would lie along with agriculture. But everything changed whem Antonio was 14 years old. Cremonese held auditions for young talents. There were many coaches watching these kids, among them there was certain Nolli, Sampdoria's ex-player, who noticed young Cabrini's talents immediately there at the camp. Until that Antonio had played as forward, mostly at left wing, but when students' team needed a left-back, Nolli decided to play Antonio there.

From that on his development carried on greatly, and it didn't take too long before Antonio made his debute for the men's team. Getting to play in Serie C for Cremonese was great, but quite naturally season got along mostly with Primavera. A year later, at season of 74-75, Cabrini made a breakthrough to men's team and played practically all season long at the starting lineup. Good season naturally attracted the attention of the bigger clubs. At the summer of 1975 Cabrini was wanted everywhere. Empoli was close of catching the teenaged talent, but the transfer to the bigger scenes happened elsewhere, when Bergamo's blue&black managed to lure Cabrini to play for them and on the same time division higher at Serie B. At the same moment Juventus acted very fast, and president Boniperti and his companion bought half of his rights. Debut season along with Atalanta at Serie B was an immense success. It was clear that Antonio had the time and the chance to take that last and hardest step on his way to stardom. Juventus paid Atalanta a big load of cash as compensation. 700 million lires changed owner and the managements of both clubs drank champagne.

Bell' Antonio's story with the black&white started officially at Turin at 13th of February 1977 when the bells hit three times. Then Cabrini played his first official match on the pitch of Stadio Comunale against Lazio. Victorious 2-0 result predicted well the debutant's upcoming career with Juve. And how magnificent career it was. Victorious, stylish and modern are probably the best words to describe Cabrini with Juve.

Although Cabrini faced his share of difficulties with Juve in the beginning of his era. The start wasn't at all that easy, but still the Italian coach didn't hesitate to choose the unexperienced guy as his 20 men group that travelled to the World Cup of 1978. At the season 77-78 Cabrini had appeared only 15 times with Juve, most of the times he came on as a sub, but with the Azzurri the trust was solid. Cabrini debuted with Italy at 2nd of June 1978 at Italy's first game in the World Cup against France. Since that Cabrini was unseperable part of Italy, and four years later he was one of the absolute key players when Bearzot's winners snatched the victory. It was quite ironic that he was the one to miss the first penalty ever at the World Cup final against West Germany, since he was one of the best players in the tournament. Luckily the shot at the wrong side of the net didn't cost them dearly. Unfortunately Cabrini had to quit his career with national team in the young age of 30 because of his knee injuries. On the other hand, he still managed to cap for Italy 73 times, part of them as captain, and during that time he found the back of the net 9 times, which is still the record for a defender with Italy.

After Cabrini's succesful World Cup at 1978 it was much easier for him to step up with Juve too. Next eleven seasons the opponents had to fear the rushes of and angel-faced running machine from the left flank. You can claim that Cabrini was the most important reformer of the role of left-back. He was a genuinely ahead of his time, he invented the using of the flank again. Besides handling his defensive duties superbly, he was mostly know as his razor-sharp rushes to the attack that caused the opponent's coaches to lose hair while they had to find solution to whole new problem. Cabrini created a modern left-back. Maldini, Zambrotta and bunch of others can salute him with their hats off.

Antonio Cabrini was a name on everyone's lips for a long time. The face of the most beautiful actor and the physique of an athlete created an image of every girl's dream, but that was just the surface of his good sides. For his taste for style, his charming style on pitch and his gorgeous looks won him loads of new nicknames, such as "El Bel Antonio" and "Uomo Vogue" (Beautiful Antonio and Vogue man) plus a place at the nations most loved icon. His nicknames weren't at all without the roots of truth. He was several time suggested as an actor because of his looks and the image of an idol grew even stronger when Antonio was always seen as the frontfigure of style. He was also known as very sophisticated and healthy man. He read a lot, most of all Hemingway. At the area of music he apprecitiated Bob Dylan a lot and movies had a place in his heart too. He doesn't smoke nor drink, and despite his image he hasn't forgot his humbleness. His heart still stayed at his poor homefarm near Cremona, but now his heart pumped royal, black and white blood.

Though aging, minor injuries and teams natural renewing forced Antonio to change his club one more time at 1989, there were never a shadow of doubt about The Team of his life. Cabrini's 13 seasons with Juve left him a great list of honours. He played 440 games for the Old Lady, in which he found the net incredible 52 times. He won absolutely everything with his beloved Juventus and quite naturally wore the captain band for sometime.

Antonio Cabrini undoubtedly belongs to the most significant players that the game of football has ever seen, or how many other have practically changed himself such a global game?

Nowadays Cabrini works as a manager for Novara in Serie C1, and he has coached several minor clubs around Italy. As coach he lacks the same dynamic sense of action and you can't claim that he's done much revolutionary things... On the other hand, who cares? He has already done he's share as player.

6 scudetti
2 Coppa Italia
1 Cup winners cup
1 UEFA cup
1 European cup
1 European supercup
1 Intercontinental cup

73 caps for Italy, 9 goal (record for a defender)
Winner of the World Cup at 1982

Geof

May 14, 2004
Erkka said:
Trust me, this is by far the best way to improve the knowledge about legends and it doesn't even take that long of your time with the help of Internet, books and other sources.
I'll do it, I promise. In March!
Do you have a tip? Who could be "my" first legend?

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
Geof said:
I'll do it, I promise. In March!
Do you have a tip? Who could be "my" first legend?
:tup:

Borel II, Anastasi or Hansen, the players just above Trezeguet. True legends all of them, but unfortunately quite unknown... Then there are other too unknown guys like Cuccureddu, Brio and Tacconi, all of them great winners that deserve their mentions. If you want to pick a more familiar name, go for Boniperti or Combi.

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
Apr 22, 2005
I dont agree with all of them too....but i just want to keep ya up to date with what they are saying....since all the news marty posts is from that site...

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
Fliakis said:
who would you personally choose?
Zidane and Baggio are fine players, but don't deserve the places in this one. Zoff, Tardelli, Gentile and Sivori are thereabouts, I could put them in but I could also leave them out and replace them with the likes of Ferrara, Combi...

Choosing Zidane in there instead of Juve's most important midfielder of the 90's is a real slap on the face of the Old Lady and shows total ignorance and lack of respect towards the history of Juventus, just like putting Baggio ahead of Del Piero when it comes to Juve.

I'd also like to quote myself here:
Erkka said:
Always difficult to answer on questions like this. In the end it's naturally a matter of personal preferences, after all you haven't seen all of them that much. I don't think that it's cool to make formations, I'd rather just mention my favourites instead of ranking them.

The task is impossible, because no matter what, the glorious black&white shirt always attracts stars... And in the end the players don't matter at all, only the magical colours are eternal. :star:

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
Fliakis said:
and who do you mean by the most important player of the 90s? di livio?
:rofl: Di Livio? The same "purple" Di Livio who mocked viola quite angrily when Juve won CL and then suddenly moved there and fell in love with them? Hell no!!

Antonio Conte. :star:

May 25, 2006
Juventus F.C.(Latin for Youth) is one of Italy's oldest and most successful football clubs, based in Turin. It competes in Serie A.

The team typically plays in black-and-white striped shirts and black shorts (but for decades in white shorts), and is nicknamed la Vecchia Signora (the Old Lady). The team gets its black-and-white striped kits from English side Notts County. The club's stadium is the 69,041-seat Stadio Delle Alpi, which it currently shares with Torino Calcio. This arrangement will end after the 2004–05 season, when Torino will open a new ground of its own.

Juventus F.C. was founded in November 1897 by students from Massimo D'Azeglio Lyceum, and won a previous version of the national league titles as early as 1905, but did not win their second until 1926. In 1923, the Agnelli family (owners of Fiat) gained control of the club, and built a private stadium in Villar Perosa (near Turin) and a complete series of facilities and services.

From 1931, the club won five consecutive Italian league championships (Italian scudetto). In 1933, they began playing at the Stadio Comunale. Post-war the club was very successful domestically, winning its tenth championship in 1961, but did not win any European titles until 1977 with the UEFA Cup. The height of European success was not reached until 1985, when they won the European Champions Cup, and then repeated the success in 1996. Juventus also won the Cup Winners' Cup in 1984 and two more UEFA Cup (1990, 1993). They have won 27 Italian titles and nine Coppa Italias to date, both national records. The club is also one of only four to have won all three major European trophies.

Until recently, Juventus' players had to wear short (and regular) hair; the club also provided the team with official formal wear (made by famous tailors) and forced them to complete their educational studies. Most of its players remained with Juventus until the end of their careers; many still work for it or for Fiat (or related companies).​

Jan 7, 2004
to understant why juventus is called la vechia signora one must first understand the word "signora" in italian. it is used with respect for important old ladies who have "aged" well. now when used in the context mentioned by you above, because juventus has been since the early days and have always won in italy (more than everybody) we deserve and in most case get the respect from other football entities. would that be clear enough ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)