History made? (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
FOOTBALL FROM HEAVEN

Holland are licking their wounds following the 3-2 defeat by the Czech Republic last night but European media are enthousiastic without end about the match.

German tabloid Kicker spoke of an 'incredible football fest' and sportsnewspaper Bild ran out of words: "Barely had the Germans left the pitch for their match or Europe got treated to footbal of the titans. The 3-2 win for th Czech Republic over Holland was a breathtaking match! Ninety minutes of high speed football, great goals ... yes, simply breathtaking!"

French paper L'equipe spoke of a historic match: "Never in the existence of the European Championships have two nations succeeded in putting up such a thrilling display. Holland and the Czech Republic have brought us a historic match filled with excitement, undescribably beautiful attacks and great goals. Its impossible to describe the chances!"

"What a tribute to football! What a battle! Such great chances!", Spanish paper Marca wrote. "Everything in the EC was good so far, but this was Football with a capital 'f'. Holland had it all, but they lost it and now they are nearly eliminated. You have to have seen it to believe the beauty and drama!"

La Gazzetta dello Sport from Italy was also enthousiastic and named it best game so far. The newspaper made a comparison between Bosvelt's substitution for Robben and Trapattoni's switch of Cassano during Italy-Sweden: "The coach tried to retain control of the match but he failed. All balance was lost after the substitution and with it, the match."

The praise continued in Britain as well: "Attack after attack after attack: this was heaven for football lovers", the Observer wrote. "It ended in hell for the Dutch but if they ever recover from this blow, they should know that they made history. They lost, but they deserve to go through."

From Voetbal International

----------------------------

Does Holland deserve it? Will they go through? And do you agree with the European media that this was a historic night for football? Let's hear your thoughts!

Buy on AliExpress.com

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
It was SOOO great, and I think that a draw would have been a perfect result! I will always remember it and hope that both teams go through!

Jan 7, 2004
well. it was indeed a great game. historic? i dont know but defiently better than germany - holland. well the czechs beat holland once so i wouldnt mind seeing them in the second round.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
I didn't see it, but it sounds like it was a great game. For the sake of the sport, lets hope Holland go through to encourage other squads to play the same sort of open, attacking style they were playing. If they do not go through, teams may be detered after seeing what happened to the Dutch.

River

Jun 15, 2004
Reminded me of Spain V Yugoslavia :D

And as much as the dutch were unlucky, there tactical changes didnt exactly help.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Inddeddy...

both teams showed great skill... but and both of them deserved towin.

This time were the czechs!

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by A_LAcki ] ++
It was SOOO great, and I think that a draw would have been a perfect result! I will always remember it and hope that both teams go through!
It was a superb match -- though the defense could have been much less sloppy and the game still would have had an interesting scoreline.

Both teams deserve to go through. But justice was served with the Czech victory -- that second Van Nistelrooy goal should never have been allowed.

River

Jun 15, 2004
Then again Van Nistelrooy should have won a penalty and shouldnt have missed that easy header and the guy should have passed to him on that break and he would have scored :D

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
I must say that was a brilliant match, a real barnburner. Football the way is was meant to be played. I was very impressed by Robben, he sure is quite a good player, its a shame he didn't play more. Thanks for recomending I watch it.

This really has been quite a tournament. The teams are so even, it is impossible to pick a favorite at this stage. I hope we see more games like this in the elimination rounds, I have a feeling we may.

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

It was a superb match -- though the defense could have been much less sloppy and the game still would have had an interesting scoreline.

Both teams deserve to go through. But justice was served with the Czech victory -- that second Van Nistelrooy goal should never have been allowed.
About the Rudd goal. It was correct. I also thought why the Czech didn't run to the ref. and tell him, that Ruud was offside, but a friend omine told me that, at the pass from Davids to Robben, he was in offside, but PASSIV.
Before the pass of Robben to Ruud, a new situation began, and Ruud was allowed to score. A stupid rule, but as nobody was furious and didn't say anything, it was a correct goal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)