Highway Robbery (1 Viewer)

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
Andy, Don bes makes a good point. Some jurisdictions dismiss the charges if the police officer fails to show up on the original court date while other jurisdictions will give the State numerous opportunities to get the officer into court.

Fighting a speeding ticket is a losing proposition. You go to court to get a reduction. 70/55 is points against the old insurance. 64/55 and your in the clear. Just ask for a reduction.

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #44
    In the State of Pennsylvania cops cannot use radar guns, so the cop definitely used some timing device. And with timing devices, human error is always present.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #46
    Good stuff Pado. I think I will go ahead and set a court date, and be sure to study the case beforehand.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    while my grandpa was driving in prague he got 2 tickets at once (one for speeding one for too many people in the car). they only fined him 3$ per ticket (in crowns)

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
    And im sure that andy is in that club. you naughty boy doing 70 on a 55 mph mountain road. you could of hit somesort of animal stupid enough to stand in the middle of the road.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Rural communities are a tough one, Andy. From experience, you have more options in urban areas -- due to conflicts for the officer's time/attention, scheduling issues, and other higher priority things going on in town besides traffic violations. (Take it from someone who is still on "warrant status" for speeding in Nebraska years ago ;) ).

If your driving record is pretty clean for the most part, and you don't have anything else financially pressing for your time, showing up may be worth it. In addition to the fines of course, there's the high likelihood of increased insurance premiums for 3 years. You might get it talked down.

Some states/counties have regulations you can look up where you have the right to request a court reporter and various other officials at your hearing. The advantage of doing that is to sometimes use the system against itself -- to create so many coordination complications between people/resources that they cannot reasonably re-schedule your hearing within the maximum allowed before they have to toss out your ticket (e.g., 90 days).

But again, the pitfall of rural tickets is that seems to almost never happen.

Whatever you choose, good luck, Andy.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by nosubstitute959 ] ++
    I suggest you do. I was told most of the time the cop doesn't show up and you end up winning and not paying a penny.

On my visit, some guy was talking to me taking the info before I enter the courtroom and he gave me the option of paying it and keeping it off my insurance record.......an opportunity which I pounced on like a dumbass. I should've taken it to court. :fero:
    BULLSHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We get paid court time to show up (4 hours for being in court for a half hour or less)

What they may do, however, is drop the charge down to a parking violation, no points on your license, and you pay a fine

The fine money goes to the town, and most places use that money for a variety of services. Up here, many towns use that money to buy new police vehicles and equipment. That means ppl's town taxes are lower if their town police write a lot of tickets

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #54
    Well, just spoke with Burke's father, who is actually a lawyer, and he said for all the trouble caused by taking it to court, ie time and further expenses, might as well just go ahead and pay the fine. He said unless your license would be taken away, or you have multiple violations, just pay the fine because they are supposedly stiff on first-time offenders.

But anyway thanks for the advice Greg, Vinny, Pado, and everybody who tried.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)