Help with GetRight (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
I'm trying to download this file with get right,, but it just cant seem to pick up the download. The file has 219 MB's and I'm on a 56k, so I really need to be able to resume it.

The file is here

http://www.the-underdogs.org/downloadfile.php?file=games/f/freespace2/files/freespace2.zip&id=4150

It has something to do with refferals and shit, and I could use some help.

I'm using GetRight 5.02 http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/135282-2S01/getrt502.exe

Could someone check it out, and let me no what to do? Martin, Aragorn, some of you computer geeks. Pwetty please :angel:

Buy on AliExpress.com

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
Well, I'm downloading it now, using my download manager, called: FlashGet.
And it's working.

There is FAQ, have you read it?

Hold down ALT and CTRL keys while clicking on the "GO" button next to the code input field. FlashGet and most other download managers should then be able to launch with the link captured.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    Yeah, I tried with the Crtl Alt thing, but it says something about refferals being wrong :undecide:

Why dont I have ****ing broadband??? :mad:

Oh, thats right... I LIVE IN ****ING BOSNIA!!! :mad:

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    I followed link you had given, and look what I saw:

Sorry, but you've been banned (temporarily, though). File downloads are no longer possible until your ban is lifted. This ban is caused by you having more than one file transfer going on at the time (The number:8).Your ranking is: Greedier than Thou.

The ban was set in place on 2003.09.27 at 14:24. Now it is 2003.09.27 18:22

Maybe you should change that option in your GetRight and get only one transfer?

Cause I was downloading using 5, and after some time I got the same message: I used to much transfers in the same time.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    Yeah, that was sorted out. You just have to tell it not to use simoultanious connections. But my problem is that Getright wont even pick it up. I'll download your manager (FlashGet) and try again :)

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    There you are your answer:

Download limitations and banning

In a nutshell

Download only one file at a time. Do not use download boosters such as Download Accelerator. Else you will get temporarily banned.

Why the banning?

Our bandwidth is not infinite. At all times, there are roughly 250-500 file transfers going on simultaneously. Even though we have over 5 Mbit/s dedicated for this, you can easily calculate the average download speed per person. It isn't too high.

If everyone downloads many files at the same time, everyone's download speed would be worse. In addition, since every file download requires one server process, our hardware requirements would be multiplied.

We took years to collect these underdogs, surely you can have patience too? Greediness won't help downloads go any faster, and you are hurting other people's speeds as well.

What triggers the ban and when is it removed?

Every minute, a monitor program checks how many file transfer connections have been initiated from the same IP address. If there are many of them, all of them will be killed, and that IP address will be blocked (firewalled out) from downloading. The rest of the site works fine.

If you get banned, all of your existing downloads time out and are left unfinished. The download page will also tell you about this when you try to download something next time. It will also tell you how many transfers were going on at the time of the ban.

Be warned that even a very small file can trigger the ban. That includes text manuals, walkthroughs, and other non-game files.

Also, browsing the files and marking them to be downloaded later with a download manager while transferring will sometimes trigger a ban.

If you are using a WWW proxy (whether you know it or not-- ask your ISP for more details), our server sees multiple connections originating from behind that proxy as coming from the same computer. Therefore, sometimes false alarms happen. Certain big ISP's force you to use transparent proxies. A good example of these is British Telecom.

All bans are removed automatically with certain intervals. More of these below.

How long do the bans last?

There are three kinds of bans:

up to 3 hours for downloading 2 files
    up to 24 hours for downloading 3-5 files
    up to a week for downloading 6+ files
    The intention of the first ban is to wake people up, to make them realize what they're doing. The others also include a certain punitive effect for excessive greediness as these should not happen by mistake. :)
    What should I do to do it "right"?

Only download one file at a time. You may use (and it is recommended, for resuming) download managers such as Go!Zilla and GetRight, but make sure that they're not working in an accelerated mode (ie. splitting one file to multiple transfers, simultaneously).

Important note: You need to set referer information for this site in your download manager to "http://www.the-underdogs.org/downloadfile.php" - please check documentation that comes with your manager on how to do this. If you are using GetRight, make sure to download and install the "GetRight Referer Manager" from their add-ons download page. This add-on will allow you to enter the correct referrer information manually.

If you're using a proxy, disable it for files.the-underdogs.org. For example, in Netscape, this can be done by entering files.the-underdogs.org to No proxy for setting.

Always use the default download method (in downloadfile.php) if at all possible. This way you don't get banned through no fault of your own.

What should I NOT do?

Some shareware download managers (at least Download Accelerator, JetCar and NetSonic have been reported) split one download to many (e.g. four) to speed it up. You should not use them to download files from our site.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Hey Zlatan! Top stuff, you download abandonware too?! Ahhh freespace 2, the memories...

From this site, you can't download more than one file at a time, or you get banned for a few hours/days... maybe that's what u've done?

Also, u could try disabling "automatic segmented downloading" in Getright's program config. first, because segmented downloading automatically splits the download into multiple files at once, so you get banned for the same reason as above ;)

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by G_O_A_T ] ++
    Yeah, that was sorted out. You just have to tell it not to use simoultanious connections. But my problem is that Getright wont even pick it up. I'll download your manager (FlashGet) and try again :)

Read that part I wrote above :)

And yes, in this my you can change that number of connections, but I dont know where exaclty.
    I almost never use it, I use another program, Streambox VCR.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #10
    Yes, I read the FAQ more than once and I did all what they say, disabeled segmented downloading, refferals and shit. I'm not banned I just cant get GetRight to pick it up. I can download it with the standard IE/netscape download thingy, but than I cant resume :undecide:

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    How do you know, that you're not banned?

I got banned after few minutes, and I took such things from FlashGet: Browse reffer, and then I got lined to their site, and I got info about being banned.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    Because I can download it normally, without any download managers, but GetRight and FlashGet just wont start to download that shit.

What did you do exactly do start downloading it, just clicked the go? :undecide:

When I click the button (in both Netscape 7.1 and IE 6 SP1) none of the download managers react.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by G_O_A_T ] ++
    Yes, I read the FAQ more than once and I did all what they say, disabeled segmented downloading, refferals and shit. I'm not banned I just cant get GetRight to pick it up. I can download it with the standard IE/netscape download thingy, but than I cant resume :undecide:
    I personally use Flashget, maybe it's time for a change :D I used Getright in its earlier days, but my system didn't seem to like it too much, and it took a lot of resources (I dunno, maybe i got these impressions because it was on an older computer with a less stable operating system)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++
    :kiss: thank you my modem.

I can download it again, cause I reconnected and I've changed my IP

I will check it one more time.
    ahhh you've got that option... i'm on a permanent connection so i've got a dynamic IP. But then again, that's a small price to pay for 4MBits of downloading joy :D

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

I personally use Flashget, maybe it's time for a change :D I used Getright in its earlier days, but my system didn't seem to like it too much, and it took a lot of resources (I dunno, maybe i got these impressions because it was on an older computer with a less stable operating system)
    I hated GetRight, I never couldnt download anything with that :(

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

ahhh you've got that option... i'm on a permanent connection so i've got a dynamic IP. But then again, that's a small price to pay for 4MBits of downloading joy :D
    Yeah, that's the small price :D
    But I've got ISDN, so not just a normal 56 kb/s modem.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #19
    When I hold ctrl alt and press it starts downloading linkstealers.txt.

The refferal isnt set right, and I dont know how to do it.

I HATE THIS :mad:

FlashGet doesnt even startd downloading.

I wish I just had a direct link to this :down:

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    I dont want to worry you, But I'm downloading it again ;)

What I did:
    Reconnected
    Deleted previous parts of downloads
    Hold ctrl+alt + GO
    When FlashGet show me window about starting downlaod, I've chosen: 1 simultanous download.

btw: do you have FlahsGet in your menu? If not, it will not start downloading automatically - I think so.

Now I've got 5 MB of some useless thing for me :D
    And still working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)