Help with firewall again (1 Viewer)

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
Help please :wallbang:

I NEED, WANT to turn off my firewall in Windows XP Professional.
I know where to do that, cause I did it
BUT... whenever I turn it off, that stupid comp goes crazy, and I cant connect to the net :(
I connect and after one minute I get such warning, that there is some mistake with RPC Remote Procedure Calland the comp will be restarted in 1 minute.

I guess there must be some way, but how to do that? :frown:

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
btw, what kind of connection are you on atm? The Internet Connection Firewall is for use ONLY on a direct connection to the Internet, such as a dial-up, DSL, or cable modem. If your computer gets its Internet connection through a software router (like Internet Connection Sharing) or a hardware router, you don't have a direct connection and mustn't enable ICF.

If ICF is enabled on a LAN with other comps, it'll block File and Printer Sharing.

To enable or disable ICF, you gotta be logged on as a user who's a member of the Administrators group.

Anyways, to disable ICF on a connection, open the Network Connections folder, right click said connection, and click Properties.

Click the Advanced tab, then uncheck Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet.

Oh and if you wanna see what your firewall's been upto, you can enable security logging.

Open the Advanced tab of the connection's properties and click Settings, then Click Security Logging to bring up the logging options.

By default, the security log's written to file pfirewall.log in the Windows folder.

venom

Oct 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++
I connect and after one minute I get such warning, that there is some mistake with RPC Remote Procedure Calland the comp will be restarted in 1 minute.
You sure that ain't virus? That one few months old did something like that IIRC.

I'll google a bit...

OP
vitoria_Ally

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    gray: I have modem, it's 125 kb/s modem, better one, but still just a modem, so it's a dial-up connection.

I couldnt turn off that firewall, what a failure! :howler:
    I know where etc, but I couldnt turn it off, cause my whole net has been restarting every 1 minute.
    Anyway, I resolved it and installed Win 2000 pro, so I've got two Windows now. Everything works perfect now.

I was so extremely desperate, cause my fav program to download, emule, completely couldnt work with Win XP Pro.

venom: I dont think that it could have been some virus, cause it would mean, that original CD with Windows installation has viruses.
    But with Microsoft everything is possible :D

Thanks guys that you tried to help :)

gray

Apr 22, 2003

venom: I dont think that it could have been some virus, cause it would mean, that original CD with Windows installation has viruses.
    Actually, vulnerability to MSBLAST was due to a lack of security in all windows systems that didn't download the critical updates.

But with Microsoft everything is possible :D
    At least you know ;)

OP
    vitoria_Ally

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #7
    I will download them, I know I should.
    btw: that wise guy who was checking my comp, started from that thing: download critical updates.

But about that first thing with firewall: it was new comp, nothing on discs, only Windows, few necessary things, which were fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)