Help! My Phone Is Locked!! (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2005
My brother just sent me an NEC e338 handset from London. The thing is touted by NEC as the smallest, lightest 3G phone available in Europe. All well and good. The problem is that we don't have any 3G network in my country.

However, my current service provider does allow users with capable phones to access the internet and download music, ringtones, wallpapers, etc. Herein lies my problem.

In order to access the net from my phone, I need to enter the service provider name on what is called the APN. On my phone, the APN has been preset to three.co.uk, and try as I might, I have been unable to change the bloody thing. There are two other APN settings on the phone, but I can't access them either.

A whole word of content is being denied to me by this problem.

Is there anyone out there who knows of any code required to unblock the APN settings, and thereby allow me to modify them?

I'll be most grateful for an answer.

Thanks.

Buy on AliExpress.com

/usr/bin

Excellent
Mar 6, 2005
++ [ originally posted by madlawyer1 ] ++
My brother just sent me an NEC e338 handset from London. The thing is touted by NEC as the smallest, lightest 3G phone available in Europe. All well and good. The problem is that we don't have any 3G network in my country.

However, my current service provider does allow users with capable phones to access the internet and download music, ringtones, wallpapers, etc. Herein lies my problem.

In order to access the net from my phone, I need to enter the service provider name on what is called the APN. On my phone, the APN has been preset to three.co.uk, and try as I might, I have been unable to change the bloody thing. There are two other APN settings on the phone, but I can't access them either.

A whole word of content is being denied to me by this problem.

Is there anyone out there who knows of any code required to unblock the APN settings, and thereby allow me to modify them?

I'll be most grateful for an answer.

Thanks.
Hmm.. I think you'll need to unlock it.. If you don't have a service cable, or the required tools, I suggest you go to a service center (not an official one, mind you) and they could be able to unlock the phone..

Mind you, this technique isn't exactly legal.. ;)

OP
madlawyer1
Feb 26, 2005
  • Thread Starter #3
    My bro apparently thought I wouldn't need a service cable. I heard that there is a code that can be used to unlock it though. I just don't have any idea what it could be. :confused:

/usr/bin

Excellent
    Mar 6, 2005
    ++ [ originally posted by madlawyer1 ] ++
    My bro apparently thought I wouldn't need a service cable. I heard that there is a code that can be used to unlock it though. I just don't have any idea what it could be. :confused:
    Oh.. that might be a different story, but if it's locked, it's usually because of the special firmware the service provider puts onto the phone.. see if you can get the code off your brother, or someone else..? :undecide:

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    It might be illegal, but very much wide spread.

I think it's quite stupid how cell operators "lock" the phones, so that when you switch the career you cannot use the phone. They should be able to buy the phone back then!

OP
    madlawyer1
    Feb 26, 2005
  • Thread Starter #6
    I can use the phone to make calls, and send texts, I just can't use it to browse. My girlfriend who uses a Nokia 3310 and the same service provider has been showing off some ringtones she downloaded. It drove me nuts. At least the damn thing has a camera.

OP
    madlawyer1
    Feb 26, 2005
  • Thread Starter #10
    ++ [ originally posted by Bürke ] ++
    Dude, when mine locks, I just have to hit 5555 or something similar to that to unlock it.
    u use a NEC too? anyway, the major problem is not that I cant use the phone, the problem is that I can't browse with it cos the APN is locked.

OP
    madlawyer1
    Feb 26, 2005
  • Thread Starter #12
    ++ [ originally posted by Chxta ] ++
    Pali, na Naija u dey, go Otigba. Wetin dey do u sef?
    ol boi, u no kno say na abj i dey? maik i kom waka oll de wai go Otigba jus to unlock phone? if u kno anibodi fo abj wey fit do de tin, abeg konnect mi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)