Help me annoy the English!! (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Ladies and gents, we Irish have long had a deep dislike of the English, for reasons better left in the past where they belong, so when they oppertunity to get one up on them arises, we generally seize it with both hands. Recent years has seen this materialise in the form of poll-rigging, with the Wolfe Tone's "A Nation Once Again" being voted the greatest song of all time, among other incidents.

So when the BBC offer us the chance to make an Irishman their sports personality of the year, we can only rise to the bait.

Some of you may be aware that the Irish have their own code of football. One of the greatest of our inter-county players won his first ever All-Ireland Football Championship this year. At 34 years old, and dogged by injury, he isn't ever going to do that again, and he played in the final as a rolling sub, with both knees and an ankle heavily strapped. He inspired his younger teammates to Tyrone's first ever All-Ireland title.

How does this affect the BBC's sports personality of the year awards, you ask? Simple. Tyrone is in Northern Ireland. Peter Canavan is Northern Irish.

Help a great athlete win an award, and help the Irish annoy the Brits one more time by depriving Johnny Wilkinson of an award he'll no doubt win many more times.

You can help make this happen, wherever you are in the world. It takes a minute to vote. Just click on the link below, and fill in the form on the right side of the screen:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_2003/
Name - Peter Canavan
Email address - you know that!

Please use all the email addresses you have, (each address can vote only once), and pass this on to anyone you think would help.

Thanking for your time,
Mikhail.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

So when the BBC offer us the chance to make an Irishman their sports personality of the year, we can only rise to the bait.
To be clear this is not the english sportsman of the year... it is the british sportsman.. so how exactly do you get one over on anyone by a british person winning a british prize?

there have been several winners that werent english over the years

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    Oh dear, this hasn't gone as planned at all. :D

I'm quite aware that this isn't the English Sports Personality of the year, but the British one. That's why Canavan can be considered at all. What I'm asking is that a great, amateur athlete, win in a competition that's otherwise likely to be dominated by some over-hyped footballer, or Johnny Wilkinson.

What Canavan did in that final was no less than Wilkenson's final performance. In a sport far less reliant on free-taking for scoring, Canavan scored from every free, and acted as his county's talisman, despite playing through the pain of several injuries. He's never going to repeat that, and I, and many others, would like to see him recognised.

And if the English are okay with that, all the better. You can vote for him too. :)

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    You tell a good story man. Im all for the underdogs.

But the system they used is pretty rubbish. I mean i can vote as Tom simply because I have his email address...or do they actually send us an email?

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
    First of all theres a few errors in your post mikhail.

First of all and most importantly. Peter Canavan is northern irish, and therefore british. And secondly northern irish dont hate england at all.

So you'r irish who hates england and wants people to vote for a northern irish person to annoy england.

Help a great athlete win an award, and help the Irish annoy the Brits one more time..
    So infact it's "Help a 'great' athlete win an award, and help the brits annoy the Brits..
    [/QUOTE]
    Im lost.

Secondly Peter Canavan and every other gaelic football player cannot even be compared to professional football and rugby players.

What next? Vote for your local pub team?

p.s.
    ++ [ originally posted by MCPIERO ] ++
    George Best:touched::sigh:
    The greatest..

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #20
    ++ [ originally posted by Bongiovi ] ++
    who is Peter Canavan??????...never heard of him.....
    Oh, I give up. Bongiovi didn't even read my post!

++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    ok so now its mikhail's turn to eat his hat?

(do it quietly, and behind closed doors)
    Mmmmm, tastes like chicken. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)