Happy Ramadhan (1 Viewer)

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++

That's not what I've heard. There are plenty of muslims in this city describing anyone who doesn't follow Islam as a kaffir. It seems to have a negative connotation too, just like the Jewish equivalent "goy".
they also belive (the whole Islam world) that all chrisitians are "kafir",because we think Jesus is God.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++

That's not what I've heard. There are plenty of muslims in this city describing anyone who doesn't follow Islam as a kaffir. It seems to have a negative connotation too, just like the Jewish equivalent "goy".
Christians and Jews have a special name, they are called "People of the book" or Ahl al-kitab...Kaffir, or Kuffar (plural) is the name for other people with other faiths....The word Kaffir linguisticlly has no negative connotation, but since it has been used for over 1400 years a negative perception builded up...

Oh and Ramadan Kareem, o kol 3am o into be 5air ya shabab;)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Ramadan Kareem everyone :D

Kaffir = Atheist
Someone who does not believe in God. And it is not degoratory, but as Rami said it has acquired a sort of derogatory effect over time.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
Actually Ali, the word "Kafar" which is root word of Kaffir, means "to conceal". When Islam started the word Kaffir was used because a "Kaffir" is knowingly or unknowingly concealing the truth.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
You hit the nail on the head but broadly I think it includes atheists. Clarification will be appreciated.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Ali ] ++
You hit the nail on the head but broadly I think it includes atheists. Clarification will be appreciated.
True, Kaffir includes atheists. But there is a specific word for atheist which is "Molhid";)

OP
Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #32
    ++ [ originally posted by Rami ] ++

Christians and Jews have a special name, they are called "People of the book" or Ahl al-kitab...Kaffir, or Kuffar (plural) is the name for other people with other faiths....The word Kaffir linguisticlly has no negative connotation, but since it has been used for over 1400 years a negative perception builded up...

Oh and Ramadan Kareem, o kol 3am o into be 5air ya shabab;)
    exactly! :), also IMO the word kaffir is very strong, it shouldn't be used losely. I've never called anyone a kaffir, especially not a christian or jew, 'cause they as you said, "People of the book".

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

Which is precisely why I love the deep complexities raised with an All-American bumper sticker that says, "Allah bless America" with a waving American flag on it. It forces people to face their stereotypes.

On the one hand, you get a very patriotic-sounding message that American Joe Public cannot sanely raise issues against. But on the other hand, it forces a recognition of diversity in this country -- the core of what "liberty and justice for all" means -- that runs counter to the terrorist stereotypes and the safe confines of white Anglo-Christiandom.

It will split many people's minds in half, which is why I love the concept.

But Axl, do note that you seem to be making generalizations about non-Muslims here as much as other non-Muslims might make of Muslims.

i dont know any non muslims personally to be honest.im never been around too many of them,so i really dont know the way they adress islam.the only bit against islam that i get is from the western media which i think is a lot of crap.
    the western media has probably build up the 'muslims are terrorists' slogan more than anyone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)