Handball Champions (2 Viewers)

OP
Anders

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #42
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    sjovt ... does one pronounce the j? Do you speak German, Karlberg? Just wondering ... :)
    German... No I don't. I thougt you were dutch:confused:

If you really wanna know how you pronounce it, I guess I could try to explain...

This is a hard one...
    Try saying the "sjo" part as you would pronounce the "sho" part from the word shot. Now we gotta add the "vt" part and now it gest tricky. The word is only one syllable so you gotta take the "sjo" part and end with sounds of "vt" put togheter... Damn! Now i'm just complicating it... screw it!

This has got to be the weirdest post i've ever written!:dazed:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    I am Dutch but I also speak a bit of German ;)

I think the Dutch would pronounce it roughly the same ... our languages are very alike in pronunciation you know! Just writing and grammar are very different! Family of mine has been to Denmark once and they would just speak Dutch and people would understand them and vice versa! :cool:

OP
    Anders

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #44
    You're right! I sounds a bit alike...
    Dutch people have always spoken english to me, so I really don't know if I would understand it. But I know that the danish footballers i Holland learnes it very fast... I've heard Tomasson, Grønkjær, Rommedahl and Heintze speak it... and to me it sounds like they're dutch!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by Karlberg ] ++
    You almost had it right. "sjovt" simply means fun ;) Whats the norweigan word for it?
    Sort of like "roligt" in Swedish then. In Norwegian you would say morsomt, kult, stilig.

OP
    Anders

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #47
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++

Sort of like "roligt" in Swedish then. In Norwegian you would say morsomt, kult, stilig.
    He he... in danish the word "roligt" means calm.

We also use the word "morsomt" for "sjovt".

Nekton

Oct 22, 2001
    You can imagine the confusion when a Dane/Norwgian has a conversation with a Swede and the word "roligt" comes up :stress:

OP
    Anders

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #51
    How about the word "gratis". In danish it means free (as in no charge), while its the swedish word for congratulations.

I remember back in 92' when Denmark won the European Championship in Sweden. The scoreboard said "Gratis Denmark" after the final... could you imagine my confusion?

Loppan

Jul 13, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Karlberg ] ++
    How about the word "gratis". In danish it means free (as in no charge), while its the swedish word for congratulations.

I remember back in 92' when Denmark won the European Championship in Sweden. The scoreboard said "Gratis Denmark" after the final... could you imagine my confusion?

Ehhh....it said "Grattis Denmark". Gratis is free in Sweden and Grattis is congratulations.

OP
    Anders

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #54
    ++ [ originally posted by Loppan ] ++

Ehhh....it said "Grattis Denmark". Gratis is free in Sweden and Grattis is congratulations.
    Oh... ok. Well its over 10 years ago, so forgive me...
    And when a swede says 'Grattis' it sounds alot like 'Gratis'. Weird huh?:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)