Gym and fitness (62 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
That's insane, Zach. Wish you the fastest recovery. :tup:

Just got back from training. Whilst in bad shape due to little sleep and bad food (yay easter fucking weekend), with very tired hip muscles (shouldnt max on sumo 3x in a week), still managed to pull 85% sumo and 92% conventional. Without pain. Wich confirms the Hamstring is intact. However, the hematoma is now even worse, so it also confirmed a tear in the left adductor, and not a small one.

Going full resting mode till the meet,then probably physiotherapy.

I'm happy i'll be able to compete, but frustrated at the same time because i'd be well in the lead after squat, and still narrow in the lead after benchpress on both wilks and total (comparing my current max to the main competitors). However i probably wont be able to pull the required deadlift, wich i was probably going to reach.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
It's a shame, but you're thinking and acting like a true champ, though, Zach. Making the best possible out of the situation. You're a fighter, that's for sure.

You make The Society proud.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
How much times one's weight should one dead lift?

How much times one's weight should one squat?

How much times one's weight should one do split squats?

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
How much times one's weight should one dead lift?

How much times one's weight should one squat?

How much times one's weight should one do split squats?

there are many factors tbh, and to get a good idea about where your strenghts and weaknesses are, you need to have been training for quite a while, so your positional muscles and tendons are fully able to support your lifts for maximum controll. Then there also is good form, and seeking wich method suits you.

The first and easy'est comparison, is from bench press

For every 1 benchpress, you can do 1.5 squat and 2.0 deadlift normally
example : 50kg benchpress, 75kg squat, 100kg deadlift.
A good start, is beeing able to benchpress more then your bodyweight.

Dont do split squats. Do full squats. Split squats are horrible for the small muscles inside the knee, full squats are safer and build stronger knee's.

Depending on your flexibility and relative strenght, you can chose to do Hip domminant squats, or Quadriceps domminant squats. The last one preferably on squatshoes.

Depending on your back flexibility and relative strenght and lower back feeling, you can chose between regular deadlifts and sumo deadlifts. Sumo's are VERY hard on the hips tho.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
there are many factors tbh, and to get a good idea about where your strenghts and weaknesses are, you need to have been training for quite a while, so your positional muscles and tendons are fully able to support your lifts for maximum controll. Then there also is good form, and seeking wich method suits you.

Dont do split squats. Do full squats. Split squats are horrible for the small muscles inside the knee, full squats are safer and build stronger knee's.

Depending on your flexibility and relative strenght, you can chose to do Hip domminant squats, or Quadriceps domminant squats. The last one preferably on squatshoes.

Depending on your back flexibility and relative strenght and lower back feeling, you can chose between regular deadlifts and sumo deadlifts. Sumo's are VERY hard on the hips tho.
You'll be surprised but that comparison with the bench press does not apply to me who still has the world's weakest arms. I weigh 70 kg and going a bit down because recently I started to lose weight ahead of the half marathon. I can lift easily 70 kg dead lift, I can squat the same weight but not that easily; at the same time I cannot bench press more than 30 kg and the weakness is in the arms.

I do split squats because I really need stronger calves because I run minimalstic and the moment I increase my distances I start to get sore muscles in my calves. Recently I did very light weight split squats not exceeding 25 kg.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Yeah, because of situations like this i said that you need to have been training for quite a while to form a good idea.

Your an endurance athlete, wich basically means that your entire body is build to conserve energy at the most efficient rate, where as in the weight room, its about short keeps of force and rapid recovery.

For your situation, its normal that your bench is behind. For a distance runner, every ounce of muscle on triceps and biceps is to much, because you dont need it and dont use it. Same with shoulders in lesser degree.

benchpress comes from chest and triceps primarely, and shoulders secondarely (when done right).
Do you want to improve benchpress ? Because it will not be optimal for your running performance.

Split squats... I misread it. You mean as in Bulgarian split squat ? where one leg is locked (on a chair for example) and you bow down the other leg ? because that excercise, is mainly on the quadriceps. "half squats" (wich i tought you said), are also mainly on the quadriceps.

if you want stronger calves, i got a pretty efficient excercise for that : standing or seated calf raises.

standing : put a piece of wood on the floor (3-5cm high). Put about 70-100 kilogram on a bar (including the bar(=20kg)) and go stand on it with the front cussions of the foot. Your feet are now in decline position. Now simply lift your heels as high from the floor as you can , and decend back to original position.

alternative : use a leg press. fully extend your legs on it. put the feet on the bottom of the plate, heels under the plate, only front cussions on it. now do the same movement but horizontally

Steated. (best with machine cause of hurt). Put a piece of wood on the floor. sit on a bench and place feet on the wood touching it with your front cussions. put a bar with 50-60kg on your legs,close to the knee. now lift up the bar by lifting your heels of the floor, leaving the cussions on the wood.

25 rep sets. You will feel the burn if the weight is right. Dont start to high.

Sidenote : many gyms got a machine for this

seated calf raise

standing calf raise

alternative

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009

Well, that doesn't apply to me. I'm so fuckin' weak at squats its sick. I bench press 95kg, deadlift at 125 but I squat like 70kg tops. I don't know what is up with me with that, I feel uncomfortable doing heavy squats and by body just refuses to push through the weight.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Today I did deadlift 70kg and squat 70kg. I did the split squats with kettlebells instead, 2x16kg and they felt much better. I could go heavier there but I am fine like that.

The shame? Are you ready? Shoulder press with dumbbells 70kg each, I died after every set. I screamed more than when I was squatting.

The thing is I really need arm and shoulder strength as how it is now it is blocking my progress in handstand.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
oh wow. ok. that makes more sense.

Keep it up man, you'll get there surely. I could barely do 50lbs/25kgs but now I can get 70/35 without a spotter. You're at that stage where your strength will increase exponentially. Just make sure you keep lifting and eat properly before/after.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
oh wow. ok. that makes more sense.

Keep it up man, you'll get there surely. I could barely do 50lbs/25kgs but now I can get 70/35 without a spotter. You're at that stage where your strength will increase exponentially. Just make sure you keep lifting and eat properly before/after.
How much do you weigh?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I was doing 60kg barbel shoulder press when I was working out. My bench press was my weakest point.

- - - Updated - - -

How much do you weigh?
Don't pay much attention on that. When someone is a beginner with lifting weights then you just need time to get there. When my bro was starting out, he started shoulder press with 10kg but it was a wrong form and heavy for him, so he went on 8kg. After some time he was lifting the same weight as me. And he didn't gain weight or anything.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
How much do you weigh?
Weight is somewhat relative if you arent training 100%.

And even then... Some guys are bench cannons. Quite a few in my gym under 80kg bodyweight that can benchpress 120-130kg with stop.

However, eighter their deadlift of squat will lag behind gigantically.

if you really want to make good progress on a certain lift, you need to take your time for it. proper food, proper sleep, proper workout plan and dedicated followup of the workout plan.

Got this friend from university who joined us. he's like 1meter 87 high, weights maximum 60 kg. VERY slim build. Less muscle then any of you.
We gave him a good allround schedule to follow, he trains about 3-4 times per week for an houre, 1 or 2 shakes per day.
Well, he started at just the bar for squat and bench, and 40kg deadlift.

he's now doing about 70 squat, 60 benchpress pushing 70, and around 100 deadlift.

- - - Updated - - -

7kg.... I have really really really really weak arms.
in 2008 when i visited the gym the first time, this was what i could do for 6 reps

shoulder press machine : 15 kilogram
bench press : 30 kilogram
squat : barely with a bar, fuck balance
leg press : 60kilogram
bicep curls(dumbell) : about 8-10 kilogram
lateral pulldown : about 25 kilogram

I was 23 years old and had never trained a single muscle in my upper body, ate absolute crap, had a wide frame without muscle on it, 1m91 on 85 kilograms

"Its not where you start, its how you finish"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 59)