Green Street Hooligans vs. The Football Factory (1 Viewer)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Does anyone here seriously think The Football Factory is better than Green Street Hooligans? I got the former this past Christmas, have watched it twice, but I don't understand why it's said to be better than the latter.

** SPOILER ALERT**

I believe Football Factory did not have any real meaningful plot. All we had was little Danny Dyer having his little dreams about this cokehead bastard thief, and thats about it. But with the GSE there was a real plot behind it, with stuff that wasn't predictable, such as the Major being Pete's brother. Just the overall plot was better for the GSE film, IMO.

I know a lot of people don't like a "Yank" at football, and instead prefer "bubbles" and "bottle" and a nice "bubble" with the "Old Bill." But that ain't all to the story mate.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
TBH i havent seen the football factory, but i can say that green street was an amazingly good film. and i agree the plot was great.

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3
    Football Factory was good if you want reality without substance. A bunch of clowns looking like... clowns. That's what my take on the movie was.

But STILL, see it. It's worth it.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Football Factory was good if you want reality without substance.
    That's just it. TBH, IMO there's no chance in hell a "yank" could penetrate into the West Ham hardcore so easily, if at all. The story is a bit corny in that respect, but definetly more developed than FF.

I thought both were great films but give the nudge to FF because it doesn't take itself so seriously, GSE in the end tries to hard to make it all dramatic and stuff. It's clear one is from Hollywood and the other is from England.

And of course, Elijah Wood was terribly miscast in Green Street.

Cuti

The Real MC
    Jul 30, 2006
    I watched both, but its been a while since i saw FF, though i liked GSH cause it had to do with West Ham, which is probably the only English team i can stand, plus their song is great:

'I'm forever blowing bubbles / Pretty bubbles in the air / They fly so high / They reach the sky / And like my dreams they fade and die / Fortune's always hiding, I've looked everywhere / I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air. / United! United!'

Apparantly there is going to be a GSH2 according to imdb.com

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    Does anyone here seriously think The Football Factory is better than Green Street Hooligans? I got the former this past Christmas, have watched it twice, but I don't understand why it's said to be better than the latter.

** SPOILER ALERT**

I believe Football Factory did not have any real meaningful plot. All we had was little Danny Dyer having his little dreams about this cokehead bastard thief, and thats about it. But with the GSE there was a real plot behind it, with stuff that wasn't predictable, such as the Major being Pete's brother. Just the overall plot was better for the GSE film, IMO.

I know a lot of people don't like a "Yank" at football, and instead prefer "bubbles" and "bottle" and a nice "bubble" with the "Old Bill." But that ain't all to the story mate.

Green Street is better.

Both films are absolutely hilarious, if you actually attend games and have spent a bit of time in the company of 'hooligans'.

I cannot stress this enough folks: DO NOT BASE YOUR VIEW OF WHAT 'FIRMS' ARE LIKE ON THOSE FILMS.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #8
    That's just it. TBH, IMO there's no chance in hell a "yank" could penetrate into the West Ham hardcore so easily, if at all. The story is a bit corny in that respect, but definetly more developed than FF.

I thought both were great films but give the nudge to FF because it doesn't take itself so seriously, GSE in the end tries to hard to make it all dramatic and stuff. It's clear one is from Hollywood and the other is from England.

And of course, Elijah Wood was terribly miscast in Green Street.
    Well, you've got to have some drama in it all. Football Factory was all predictable and very corny with Danny Dyer acting like he was going insane, plus every single scene they were doing powder. It makes a joke out of it all.

Green Street is better.

Both films are absolutely hilarious, if you actually attend games and have spent a bit of time in the company of 'hooligans'.

I cannot stress this enough folks: DO NOT BASE YOUR VIEW OF WHAT 'FIRMS' ARE LIKE ON THOSE FILMS.
    That is a good point.

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    Well, you've got to have some drama in it all. Football Factory was all predictable and very corny with Danny Dyer acting like he was going insane, plus every single scene they were doing powder. It makes a joke out of it all.
    A lot of the folk being coked up isn't that far off the mark from my experience.

Geof

May 14, 2004
    Both are unrealistic, IMO.

Football Factory tries to be more serious or something but ends up being boring.

GSH has an absolutely terrible plot, but there are good parts in it. I enjoyed it better than the former.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #13
    Why exactly is it a terrible plot? Because it's 100% unrealistic? I don't think that's the case. Sure, Wood isn't a good choice for the main character, but anything is possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)