Great Danes get their due // finally some recognition (1 Viewer)

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
27-25: Great Danes get their due
Friday, 27 February 2004
uefa.com

The countdown from No50 to No1 in UEFA's Jubilee poll to find the best European player of the past 50 years continued this week with the players ranked between 27 and 25.

Recent stars
Two famous Danish names of recent times were among the three players - Peter Schmeichel, the inspirational goalkeeper, and supremely talented playmaker Michael Laudrup - with Dutch legend and current AFC Ajax coach Ronald Koeman sandwiched between the two.

*Peter Schmeichel
At No 27 with 66,463 votes was the former Danish No1, who was a fixture in the Manchester United FC side for almost a decade. The giant goalkeeper was the foundation of his country’s surprise success at EURO '92 and helped United to much domestic success, before his career with the club climaxed with victory in the 1999 UEFA Champions League final.

*Ronald Koeman
An accomplished sweeper, the 1988 UEFA European Championship winner amassed 66,661 votes to occupy 26th position in the poll. The same year that the Dutch triumphed in West Germany, Koeman was part of the PSV Eindhoven side that captured both the domestic double and the European Champion Clubs' Cup. He moved to FC Barcelona the following season and there won four league titles as well as scoring the only goal of the 1992 European Cup final - still Barcelona's only success in the competition.

*Michael Laudrup
Son of Finn Laudrup, a former Danish international, and elder brother of Brian, 67,484 votes meant that Michael was placed 25th in the poll. He came to widespread attention with a virtuso performance in Denmark's 6-1 win against Uruguay at the 1986 FIFA World Cup finals, but missed his country's European Championship triumph six years later after a disagreement with coach Richard Møller Nielsen. Laudrup enjoyed a glittering club career, winning the European/South American Cup with Juventus FC , the European Cup with FC Barcelona and a total of five Spanish league titles. He also won the Dutch league and cup double with AFC Ajax and now coaches Brøndby IF.

-------------------------------------------------------

Just me ranting about the danes. Everyone knows that Schmeichel and Laudrup were great players, but they're always forgotten when making these lists of greatest players in football. Finally they get a mention, but I'm still a bit dissapointed about their rank. Laudrup should at least be in the top 15, while Schmeichels position is ok considering he's "only" a goalkeeper.

I'm always amazed when people talk of the old stars and leave out Laudrup. Sure, I'm biased cuz I'm danish, but you can't deny that this dude was one of the best ever. How he never picked up the golden ball is beyond me... maybe he would have, if he had won the Euro 92', but he was on vacation and we have Richard Møller to thank for that... that arse!

Show the love for a man, who was not only a big part of Barca's dreamteam, but also an important man for Juventus' success in the mid 80's.

</rant>

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Schmeichel was a phenomenal goalkeeper, one of the most intimidating and agile I've ever seen, and the Laudrups always entertained me. Not only do i like mikey for playing for Juve, but they were great, even up until France 98 :cool:

OP
Anders

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    even up until France 98 :cool:
    Yeah, not counting Brians Euro 92', the Laudrups brothers were at the very top of their NT careers in 98'. Noone could stop 'em... yeah well Brazil in the quaters obviously, but if I had to blame anyone for that, it would be Schmeichel actually. He should have saved Rivaldo's lame long-distance shot. But no worries... He's still no. 1 in my book.

Anyone remember the 2. round match against Nigeria? (Denmark 4-1 Nigera) That goal Ebbe Sand scored... oh man, I'll never forget that sweet pass from Michael. One of the best goals I've seen. Check it out

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Jankstakoolooo ] ++

Yeah, not counting Brians Euro 92', the Laudrups brothers were at the very top of their NT careers in 98'. Noone could stop 'em... yeah well Brazil in the quaters obviously, but if I had to blame anyone for that, it would be Schmeichel actually. He should have saved Rivaldo's lame long-distance shot. But no worries... He's still no. 1 in my book.

Anyone remember the 2. round match against Nigeria? (Denmark 4-1 Nigera) That goal Ebbe Sand scored... oh man, I'll never forget that sweet pass from Michael. One of the best goals I've seen. Check it out
    That certainly was a brilliant pass, great job from Ebbe aswell. That game must have been one of the best ever played. Not only because of the Laudrup brothers play, but mostly because of Nigerias Okocha show. His dekes was not only spectacular they even worked. Anyways, the clearest memory from the game is Brians coooool goal celebration.

It would have been a joy to see the danes go further in that tournament, they were real partyrisers actually. They could very well have beaten the brazilians if it wouldn't have been for Schemichel's "miss". But Roberto Carlos gave away Denmarks second goal so that makes it even.
    By the way, I came home from Denmark just a few hours ago after seeing Ronaldinhos brilliant goal against Bröndby. :D

OP
    Anders

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++

That certainly was a brilliant pass, great job from Ebbe aswell. That game must have been one of the best ever played. Not only because of the Laudrup brothers play, but mostly because of Nigerias Okocha show. His dekes was not only spectacular they even worked. Anyways, the clearest memory from the game is Brians coooool goal celebration.

It would have been a joy to see the danes go further in that tournament, they were real partyrisers actually. They could very well have beaten the brazilians if it wouldn't have been for Schemichel's "miss". But Roberto Carlos gave away Denmarks second goal so that makes it even.
    By the way, I came home from Denmark just a few hours ago after seeing Ronaldinhos brilliant goal against Bröndby. :D
    Ahh, Brians celebration... I think you're thinking about the one vs. Brazil, cuz there was nothing special about his celebration after his goal vs. Nigeria.

Yeah, you right... Carlos gave us that goal, and oh boy did he look stupid :LOL: And yeah... we could have gone far, but noone could have beat France, noone! Probably the best team ever.

Oh, you were in Brøndby? You should have told me. I only live about 30 minutes away ;)

BTW, do you still stink like Brøndby? ;) Man it smells outthere...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Yeah I was wondering about the celebration, I think u're talking about the one where he lay down in front of the cameras on his side with his arm supporting his head...smug bastard

OP
    Anders

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    Yeah I was wondering about the celebration, I think u're talking about the one where he lay down in front of the cameras on his side with his arm supporting his head...smug bastard
    yeah, this one click

BTW, notice R. Carlos = idiot, and Søren Colding, the dude who comes sliding down next to Brian. He tries to duplicate Brians 'thing', but hmmm, f*cks it up... lol, what a moron.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    :LOL: i didn't notice it at the time

Yes, that moment cemented my opinion of Roberto Carlos' liability in defence :wallbang:

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001

Ahh, Brians celebration... I think you're thinking about the one vs. Brazil, cuz there was nothing special about his celebration after his goal vs. Nigeria.

Yeah, you right... Carlos gave us that goal, and oh boy did he look stupid :LOL: And yeah... we could have gone far, but noone could have beat France, noone! Probably the best team ever.

Oh, you were in Brøndby? You should have told me. I only live about 30 minutes away ;)

BTW, do you still stink like Brøndby? ;) Man it smells outthere...
    Yeah, I meant the one where he was posing.

Dude, you haven't been online for like three months. Now you suddenly show up when I return, else I would have told you. :)

Actually I liked Bröndby. :nervous:

OP
    Anders

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #11

Actually I liked Bröndby. :nervous:
    :scared: oh man... call 911, this dood is losing it. I hope you meant the team and not the people/city

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
    Matto

Recent stars
    Two famous Danish names of recent times were among the three players - Peter Schmeichel, the inspirational goalkeeper, and supremely talented playmaker Michael Laudrup - with Dutch legend and current AFC Ajax coach Ronald Koeman sandwiched between the two.
    :D

OP
    Anders

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #14
    wahadda **** yolu dumd bastrd batard. im talking aboitout then danes not the ****ing durtch youmalways so slefcentrented you dumb sabastrad gewjk

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    Yes, that moment cemented my opinion of Roberto Carlos' liability in defence :wallbang:
    And he tried the same dumb-ass overhead kick in the final, wich lead to the first corner that Zidane scored from.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by tarmpropp ] ++

And he tried the same dumb-ass overhead kick in the final, wich lead to the first corner that Zidane scored from.
    I'd come to expect it from him by then :rolleyes:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Matto

:D
    wahadda **** yolu dumd bastrd batard. im talking aboitout then danes not the ****ing durtch youmalways so slefcentrented you dumb sabastrad gewjk
    Just a little joke with the fact that nobody here ever reads entire posts in mind ;)

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by tarmpropp ] ++

Is that right? I have totally forgotten about it.

Has there been any interview where he has been asked what the heck he was thinking?

Aug 1, 2003
    Just a little joke with the fact that nobody here ever reads entire posts in mind ;)
    How did you know??? :dazed::dontcare:

I didn't know Laudrup was Danish, wow. I love Peter Schmeichel. Been a fan since I cant remember. But then again, I was less than 12 yrs old

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)