Goals Conceded: Solutions? (1 Viewer)

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
van der sar :extatic:

put buffon on the bench, until he gains his true form.....:stuckup:

++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
On that part I agree too, but I think Buffon has enough carisma and leadership power and has prooven it before. It's the defenders that suck. He can yell them where to go and where to position themself but if they are too slow he cannot do a thing about it.
i hardly ever see buffon yelling no more...:down:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++

Play the long ball, commit Catenaccio, but for fuck's sake, don't leave the penalty area if you only have the speed of a cripled turtle.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++
Read this Ian ;)

"Juve in Fulham threat
The Serie A giants want the £2m still owed after the Dutch international left them in 2001."
come to think of it....maybe moggi wants the money to do some "defender-shopping" ;)

OP
Primo

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #24
    This thread is getting way out of topic. :D

For those who argued to pack-up the midfield, care to expound?

Jul 12, 2002
    :howler: Buffon will always be a black sheep right Ian? :D
    Oh, come on, are you gonna tell me that he's been playing up to snuff this season?

If you are refering to the Empoli goals, I must say that he could only react better on that 2nd goal, the other two were just great Empoli finishes and the fact that there was no sign of defence :)
    I'm referring to all of the goals scored this year. Buffon has failed to organize the defence or even give them confidence, because he isn't making all the saves anymore.

Ah, but Buffon should have given them downright orders as to WHERE they should be.

Right, Ian? ;)
    More or less. Buffon certainly can't yell at them all the time when they are out of position, but he certainly can help Iuliano find his mark.

I think Ian is way smarter and doesn't think so. I mean, Buffon has to monitor the ball and not look-out for our defenders. That's a distraction :D
    On the contrary, a keeper should be aware of all the players on the field in front of him. Even in situations where the other team has a scoring chance, the keeper must be aware of where the other attackers are and a good keeper can make sure that his defence is marked up.

Well I'm not familiar with Buffon's IQ so it could be a distracting factor but every solid keeper in the history of football (think in terms of Yashin, Peruzzi, Kahn) at some point learned how to lead his defence.

A keeper in a leading position is a better keeper than a keeper who just stands there, trying to hold off shots taken at the goal. I agree with Ian on that.
    Right on.

On that part I agree too, but I think Buffon has enough carisma and leadership power and has prooven it before. It's the defenders that suck. He can yell them where to go and where to position themself but if they are too slow he cannot do a thing about it.
    I'd like to see where Buffon has shown leadership before. Maybe you can call his excellent form leadership by example, but he's not even doing that now. His defences, (even when he had good ones) have always looked shaky and disorganized. That's down to Buffon, and I've been saying this for a long time, he's going to need to learn fast.

Ah, that I agree with. No leader-keeper could make his defenders run faster than their own ability.

Why on earth do they go forward in the first place I wonder. I mean, if you know you can't get back on time, don't follow your strikers up the pitch!

Play the long ball, commit Catenaccio, but for fuck's sake, don't leave the penalty area if you only have the speed of a cripled turtle.
    :LOL: Indeed. It's not as if Montero or Iuliano going up the field actually helps our attack. They should stand on the edge of the penalty area and wait.

++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++
    Read this Ian ;)

"Juve in Fulham threat
    Juventus have warned Fulham that they could take back former ‘keeper Edwin Van Der Sar. The Serie A giants want the £2m still owed after the Dutch international left them in 2001."

Football Italia
    :LOL: now that would be spectacularly funny. VDS would never come back to Juve after the way they treated him, and they really love him at Fulham. He's been tearing it up this year too, so I doubt that will happen, but if it does, I'll be the happiest man around even if he just sits the bench.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    Agreed !!!!!

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Gandalf ] ++

that what I said in "Juventus - Chievo" thread..

I'll add this formation.. 4-3-2-1

Code:
                         Buffon
                  Thuram        Legro
    Pessotto                                Zambrotta

Tacchinardi      Appiah

Nedved

Miccoli                           
                                     DP

Trez

If we dont buy any new defenders in the next few days, this MAY work

Pete

Nov 23, 2003
    However pathetic and insignificant to the thread this may seem, I feel an overpowering urge to say it..

Buffon rules. ;)

...it's the truth.. :(

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    Come on..... is not just buffon....all the defensive department sucks.-... not let me correct oit.... their mentalñity sucks-

They are old, yes...slow, yes... but if last year they did that good work,,, thay can do more or less the same this year.

We have to work in the tactical depatrtemtn with the defense, and fix things.

Jul 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker ] ++
    You're all barking up the wrong tree. The problem starts and can be ended with Buffon. He needs to step up and lead the defence. They aren't that bad, as players, I mean, they aren't good, but they can do the job. They lack leadership with Ferrara gone and Montero a shadow of himself. Buffon is supposed to be the leader, but he'snot steppping up, and it wouldn't hurt for him to make some saves either.
    it would make a difference, especially to legro who needs a helping hand.

But i doubt it would work wonders on fresi, luliano etc

But in terms of defensive leadership, every team needs one, and the keeper imo must ALWAYS be able to orchestrate a defense. He is in the best position to view the defence. Gigi needs to start becoming the gaffer at the back, but not nessarilyt to schmeichals extent, but jus giv his dodgy defense a bollocking!!!!

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
    Maybe Marcello as constructed a team for the Champions League instead of a Serie A team. With the best defense we lost 4 CL and won one. Maybe with a strong attacking team we'll win 4 and lose 1. :D

I'd buy Gonzalo Rodriguez now so he could adapt faster to the life in Turin and the Serie A and for this summer I'd buy Mexès or any other top YOUNG defender, a backup to Zambrotta and a good defensive midfielder.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by mark77 ] ++
    Maybe Marcello as constructed a team for the Champions League instead of a Serie A team. With the best defense we lost 4 CL and won one. Maybe with a strong attacking team we'll win 4 and lose 1. :D
    Why not? It seems to work for Madrid...

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
    come to think of it.. it's not Buffon's mistake.. nor the defenders(except Juliano :( we should get rid of him) it's all Lippi's.. it was obvious that we have a weak defence from the beginning of the season.. we kept clean sheet only in 5 matches out of 18..!! and lippi didn't do anything helpful about it.. we can't blame buffon for his lousy defenders..!! we can't blame those defenders (except juliano :( ) montero, ferrara & thuram are old to be blamed.. it's all lippi's mistake.. he should have bring more than just legro in the last summer to take Ferrara & montero's place.. how come he and Moggi didn't think of that..

next season we might get new defenders, but then, they might not adapt the team tactics very quickly and we'll end up with the same problem again..

this shameful situation right now, can be fixed by adapting a new defencive tactic that start from the strikers.. they should keep pressing on the opponents while the ball is in their half.. I've seen most of our strikers just waiting for the ball to come to them.. they don't chase the defenders to narrow their chances to start an organized attach.. Lippi should work on that.. he should be tough on them!! they're not getting high salaries for nothing.. they're playing for Juve.. they should work hard to gain these shitloads of money.. bring back JUVE's reputation..damn it.. :(

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker ] ++
    More or less. Buffon certainly can't yell at them all the time when they are out of position, but he certainly can help Iuliano find his mark.
    This is too good to pass by. Iuliano certainly has lost his Mark.
    :howler:

Agreed with all but as long as we keep on outscoring our opponents then it's fine with me.

OP
    Primo

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #36
    Well, since the topic of Defensive order has been brought up, I think Ian is right about the fact that we need someone taking charge of the organization of the defensive players. BUT, it doesn't necessarily have to be Buffon.

Our 2 center-backs should have as much view in overseeing who marks who in defense. The only time Buffon would be responsible for dictating the defense would be when both center-backs are occupied and marking an opponent, and this only happens when the ball is already near our area. At this point, he would have to be watching out for the ball already at the same time as he is overseeing the players on his area.

Montero used to be the maestro of our backline, but he just doesn't seem up for it this season. And sadly, he just isn't performing as well as he did last season. The same goes for Iuliano. I have not heard anything from Ferrara though.

Legro seems to be playing central when he gets a chance to play, but he has not acquired the skill to dictate matters in our backline.

Thuram seems to be quiet, but I haven't heard much about him either.

I can't believe that a complete turn-around could happen over one season. We were the best defense in Italy last season, conceding only 29 goals in 34 games in Serie A. This season, our defense has been on "par" with the likes of Lazio, Chievo, Sampdoria, & Siena, who are not known for the quality of their defense.

Who will step up in defense and take up the role of being our "defensive maestro?"

I would love to play Thuram on a central role

OP
    Primo

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #38
    Well, since he's stressed his alarm on the situation, I think he has thought of it. Or at least pondered on the thought.

I wonder what Lippi thinks in order to remedy the situation before it hurts us.

More interesting, I wonder what Moggi has up on his sleeves this time!?

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Lippi seems to think that it's something to do with tactics or attitude as he has reiterated that we are not buying.
    Am also quite curious Primo.

OP
    Primo

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #40
    Okay, who's got a mind like Moggi's?

What would you do in this situation?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)