Goals Conceded: Solutions? (1 Viewer)

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
Dec 20, 2002
I am feeling alarmed by the fact that we've conceded so many goals this season as opposed to last year's. Certainly, there is something wrong as our tactics have not changed, but our performance has.

Everyone keeps raising the issue of bringing in new-blood to the defense, particularly, young and hungry blood. But I would think differently and suggest that we need to reshuffle the formation or at least adapt a "bit" more defensive one. We certainly aren't lacking firepower in our attack as we have scored dozens already halfway the season. Does anyone know how many we've score last season compared to this year's?

By adapting a more defensive one, we can certainly gain more balance in the team's over-all performance. This was our strength last year as we defended the goal really well and made swift and deadly attacks.

Last season:

Scored: 64
Conceded: 29

*This was at the end of last season.

This season: at the end of week 18

Scored: 41
Conceded: 21

-

I hope the facts help you decided.

Recommendation:

No need to bring in new players. It would help, but not necessarily needed. Maybe we just need to adapt a more defensive formation like a 4-1-3-2. Tacchinardi would relish this formation.

Buy on AliExpress.com

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Primo ] ++
Last season:

Conceded: 29

This season: at the end of week 18

Conceded: 21
:eek: yup....that's VERY alarming!

come to think of it i'm with u on this one, i dont really think that bringing new players wud nescessarily help (but i'm not against getting one or two defenders ;)) esp in the middle of the season.....maybe some of them wud take time to adapt, take legro for once. so lippi needs to change tactics....surely....surely!

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
err... 4132... kinda very attacking to me...

besides,Tacchinardi always plays infront of the defense... just that he alone couldnt marshall the whole midfield... appiah IMO failed to cover for him...

the goal conceded rate is very alarming... our defense is very slow but oir midfield also dont help to ease the pressure.... Davids is already history and there is no use to mourn about him now.. but we really need someone to control the mid to help Tacchi... our midfield players i have to say no where near solid defensive wise..

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
how about 3-4-1-2....? i liked that formation more

thuram-legro-montero

tudor-maresca/appiah-tacchi-zambro

nedved

DP-trez

now, this way we have sort of have 5 defenders.....

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
yeah i like it tooo

from the way i see Roma use it .. its not really their defenders who are solid..more like they pack their mifield a lot .. wherever the opponent attack they will be surrounded by roma maroon shirt.. like bees... not only roma attack in numbers, but they defend in numbers as well.... their midfiled work as stoppers needing the likes of samuel and chivu only to clean up... these layers and layers of obstacle prove to be a tough mental obstacle for the the opponents... thriving only on long range shots and counters...

i hate to say this but not only Roma is better than us technicalwise, but also teamworkwise as well....

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
:down: dont we have that kind of "teamwork" mentality...?

i saw charlton game a few weeks ago...b4 every half started they wud gather around, kinda like in a scrum....and di canio giving his "speech" :cool: and they play their socks off....winning or losing. i wish i cud see that with our guys.....

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
we might have an abundance of ' team spirit'.... but the way we play are very individualistic.... the defenders defend.. strikers wait for the ball....all ball must go through Nedved... if we concede its the defenders fault... when Trezeguet dont score... he alone receive the stick... they dont support each other if u know what i mean..

it very frustrating at times....:irritate:..:down:

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Gandalf ] ++

buying two new defenders will need a lot of time to adapt the team tactics.. specially in juve.. new fresh defenders could cost us more troubles in defence than we already have..

IMHO, just play thuram as CB.. get rid of juliano.. that's it for the time being.. in the next summer, go for new defenders..

as for Chievo's match.. let's hope we score more goals than what our solid defence concedes..
that what I said in "Juventus - Chievo" thread..

I'll add this formation.. 4-3-2-1

Code:
                     Buffon
              Thuram        Legro
Pessotto                                Zambrotta

Tacchinardi      Appiah

Nedved

Miccoli                           
                                 DP

Trez

nina

Feb 18, 2001
We will surely concede more goals than last year, but then again, if you look at that piece of statistic that Primo posted you will also see that we scored 10 goals more than last year at this point of the season ... if we keep on going like we do we will have around 80 goals scored and 40 conceded and that's 1 vs 0.5, pretty much the same ratio from last season.

We need a defender! For one-on-one our current has no problems, but they are too slow and wil never catch the opponents quick attack. Midfield could help a bit more too, but with Davids gone, Appiah not delivering and Conte ... well too old, one cannot expect a miracle.

I haven't seen such a disorganized (and I'm not only refering to the last Empoli match) Juve for a long time.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I agree with a lot of things that have been said. Apart from bringing in one or two new defenders, I think packing our midfield would work quite well

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
From my experience playing and watching soccer, if your midfield sucks, your team will be erratic and inconsistent. a good midfield can almost completely negate the need for good defense. But it seems that since we no longer have an effective midfield, we have to either fix that, or fix the defense, and the sooner the better

Jul 12, 2002
You're all barking up the wrong tree. The problem starts and can be ended with Buffon. He needs to step up and lead the defence. They aren't that bad, as players, I mean, they aren't good, but they can do the job. They lack leadership with Ferrara gone and Montero a shadow of himself. Buffon is supposed to be the leader, but he'snot steppping up, and it wouldn't hurt for him to make some saves either.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
:howler: Buffon will always be a black sheep right Ian? :D

If you are refering to the Empoli goals, I must say that he could only react better on that 2nd goal, the other two were just great Empoli finishes and the fact that there was no sign of defence :)

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
I finally saw the match and yes, what Nina says about the goals are correct, but i also do agree with Ian that it would be great if Gigi could have mor inflence on that defence. I would love to see that.

But the "The problem starts and can be ended with Buffon" thing i think you're over reacting there a little. The defence is poor and they have been the cause of some goals we've conceeded. They are athe start of the problem to me and i wish Gigi could be the end of it.

and here's what Lippi has said

Lippi: “Must reverse our trend”
26 01 2004

Marcello Lippi (La Presse)
The 3 goals against Empoli bring Juventus’ total to 41, but tonight’s draw focuses attention on the 21 goals received by Juventus so far. Lippi knows this and answers “Even though they haven’t influenced us so far, the 21 goals we’ve received are too many. This trend isn’t acceptable and must be reversed. Tonight’s first goal surprised us, but the second one just shouldn’t have happened. It’s not usual for a team like us who usually stays in the lead once we’re there. It wasn’t due to bad defense but to a general attitude. Now we must look ahead and hope we repeat our traditional comeback in the return leg of the championship. It will be a more balanced competition from now on, it’s become harder to win than it was just a little while ago. The smaller teams have improved.”

nina

Feb 18, 2001
I think Ian is way smarter and doesn't think so. I mean, Buffon has to monitor the ball and not look-out for our defenders. That's a distraction :D

;)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Well I'm not familiar with Buffon's IQ so it could be a distracting factor but every solid keeper in the history of football (think in terms of Yashin, Peruzzi, Kahn) at some point learned how to lead his defence.

A keeper in a leading position is a better keeper than a keeper who just stands there, trying to hold off shots taken at the goal. I agree with Ian on that.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
On that part I agree too, but I think Buffon has enough carisma and leadership power and has prooven it before. It's the defenders that suck. He can yell them where to go and where to position themself but if they are too slow he cannot do a thing about it.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Ah, that I agree with. No leader-keeper could make his defenders run faster than their own ability.

Why on earth do they go forward in the first place I wonder. I mean, if you know you can't get back on time, don't follow your strikers up the pitch!

Play the long ball, commit Catenaccio, but for fuck's sake, don't leave the penalty area if you only have the speed of a cripled turtle.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Read this Ian ;)

"Juve in Fulham threat
Juventus have warned Fulham that they could take back former ‘keeper Edwin Van Der Sar. The Serie A giants want the £2m still owed after the Dutch international left them in 2001."

Football Italia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)