Global Warming Discussion (5 Viewers)

OP

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #183
    (or growing)

- - - Updated - - -

but the article is merely a measurement, i agree has nothing to do with melting or climate change.
    just food for thought

- - - Updated - - -

Really cool project going on down there. Should be interesting to see what the results show over the next decade or so.
    we are being overtaken by drones.

i want one to fly around my backyard

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Only skimmed through it, but this only says that the ice caps are thicker and more resilient than previously thought, doesn't change the worrying fact that they're melting.
    Basically, it says ice caps are moving so much and slamming together in places which makes them thicker in areas along the fringe of the continent. However, they've only measured 3 sites so far and won't have anything definitive until they get more data. Apparently the thickness of ice is difficult to accurately measure. These robots will allow them to measure more area and get more accurate information. They want an armada of robots to measure the continent from different directions, creating a study area that looks like the spokes of a bicycle wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

A buddy and I are preparing a grant to get a couple of drones to fly landsat imagery. They're not that expensive.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
    Basically, it says ice caps are moving so much and slamming together in places which makes them thicker in areas along the fringe of the continent. However, they've only measured 3 sites so far and won't have anything definitive until they get more data. Apparently the thickness of ice is difficult to accurately measure. These robots will allow them to measure more area and get more accurate information. They want an armada of robots to measure the continent from different directions, creating a study area that looks like the spokes of a bicycle wheel.
    Are they thinking that the ice caps slamming together and getting thicker is the actual reason for the loss of area covered by ice caps previously blamed on them melting? Otherwise that would be pretty much what I said, plus a few (admittedly interesting) details :p

OP

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #186
    A buddy and I are preparing a grant to get a couple of drones to fly landsat imagery. They're not that expensive.
    As long as my neighbors don't freak out. :D

I found some between the $250-400 range, all can be controlled by your iphone or ipad. HD camera...fucking ridiculous time we are living in. Nothing like this existed when we were kids. I remember drooling over crash test dummies, etc. Man, this shit is legit. Only thing is the battery life and the thing powering down and crashing or landing in water.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003

The day is coming where you'll be able to tell your kids, "I remember when there were clear skies and there weren't a dozen drones flying over every city block." And your kids will look at you like you're mental.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    As long as my neighbors don't freak out. :D

I found some between the $250-400 range, all can be controlled by your iphone or ipad. HD camera...fucking ridiculous time we are living in. Nothing like this existed when we were kids. I remember drooling over crash test dummies, etc. Man, this shit is legit. Only thing is the battery life and the thing powering down and crashing or landing in water.
    Yeah, some of the cheaper ones only have 20 minutes of battery power. So just keep that in mind. The one we want is $4000. It will allow us to shoot aerial imagery on the other side of the country.

OP

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #191
    Yeah, some of the cheaper ones only have 20 minutes of battery power. So just keep that in mind. The one we want is $4000. It will allow us to shoot aerial imagery on the other side of the country.
    fuccckkkkk.

I think when you go hiking, etc it would be great to get an idea of whats around you and some great images. They seem like so much fun.

- - - Updated - - -

The day is coming where you'll be able to tell your kids, "I remember when there were clear skies and there weren't a dozen drones flying over every city block." And your kids will look at you like you're mental.
    Hell Amazon is trying to get their packages delivered by drones and we all know how many amazon boxes are out there in the UPS/FedEx trucks.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Are they thinking that the ice caps slamming together and getting thicker is the actual reason for the loss of area covered by ice caps previously blamed on them melting? Otherwise that would be pretty much what I said, plus a few (admittedly interesting) details :p
    No, it just says the ice is thicker where the caps come together which occurs along the fringe of the continent. It does a good job of not making assumptions. :D

OP

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #196
    Global Warming Alarmists: US Blizzard caused by climate change.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/01/26/3615330/blizzards-climate-scientists/

Another epic blizzard is bearing down on New England. There is a “big part” played by “human-induced climate change,” especially warming-fueled ocean temperatures, according to Dr. Kevin Trenberth, former head of the Climate Analysis Section at the National Center for Atmospheric Research.

Discuss. (I'm all over the place today :D )

- - - Updated - - -

At present sea surface temperatures are more the 2F above normal over huge expanses (1000 miles) off the east coast and water vapor in the atmosphere is about 10% higher as a result. About half of this can be attributed to climate change.
    If the oceans are billions of years old, how exactly can a few thousand years of data indicate the "normal average" temperature of the earths surface? :shifty:

- - - Updated - - -

And how can a 10% increase in water vapor be accurately claimed is 50% attributed to climate change?

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
    One way or other, one storm cannot be explained by long-term phenomenon. The exercise is pretty pointless.
    I mean you can certainly say that global warming increases the chances of such things happening or the average magnitude of these events, but to blame it for this one, singular event is just idiotic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)