Glasses (2 Viewers)

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
It was not long ago since the contacts became reality I think it was in the early nineties or so. How did the players solve that before?
I have never seen anyone play with glasses and it would be very hard thing to do. If I should play with out either glasses or contacts that would make it impossible for me to play, I would have trouble even seeing the ball. If they had to play without anything that must have ment that many great players were lost.
So how did they do it? :confused:

Buy on AliExpress.com

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
Well...

1. Earlier, not so many people were wearing glasses like these days, so I think it wasn't such a common thing like today.

2. They didn't take men with glasses to teams ;)

Seriously, I never saw any "old" player wearing glasses out of a pitch.

OP
Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #5
    If you have perfect eyes you won't get what a difference just a little difference in sharpness on your contacts can do. It is almost impossible to assume distances when you have astegmatism.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    Oh in this way.

I know that. Glasses are not good, lenses are much better, but still not perfect, specially when it comes to astegmatism.

But I guess such problems with eyesight could disqualify them as players. I think :undecide:

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    Well nowadays players could wear glasses with no problem IMO, just like Davids'. I for example cant see very well without my glasses, but only in terms of not seeing very sharp. Maybe I couldnt reckognize players, but I could see them and estimate distances no problem. I guess thats the case with most people with poor eye sight :)

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    Good point Zambro, never though of it before :D

I don't think in the old times many people had a bad sight like nowadays (due to damn large TV screens and PC Monitors that grow larger every now and then) .. only those who badly needed glasses would not make it to a professional team I guess ..

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Exactly... these days, people get glasses when their eyes are just a little bad. In the past, people would only get them when their eyesight is really bad, in which case they couldn't qualify to become a professional footballer anyway! :lol:

Speaking of glasses, (before Legro joined) I think our whole defence wore glasses, no?

Thuram, Montero, Ferrara, Biri... maybe others too?

So obviously, needing glasses doesn't affect your football :thumb:

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by G_O_A_T ] ++
    Well nowadays players could wear glasses with no problem IMO, just like Davids'. I for example cant see very well without my glasses, but only in terms of not seeing very sharp. Maybe I couldnt reckognize players, but I could see them and estimate distances no problem. I guess thats the case with most people with poor eye sight :)
    Actually, Davids wears his shades for two reasons, one is because his eyesight has degenerated, the other is because he has accute glaucoma. This makes it very dangerous to be hit in the eye. I wear protective glasses on the pitch for the very same reason.

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #11
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

Actually, Davids wears his shades for two reasons, one is because his eyesight has degenerated, the other is because he has accute glaucoma. This makes it very dangerous to be hit in the eye. I wear protective glasses on the pitch for the very same reason.
    You forgot the third:

Money

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Any reason for the colour though? Of course, you could say because he's Dutch... but I remember seeing sports glasses, that were orange in colour too, and apparently they make everything clearer and more crisp... I tried them on, and when i took them off everything looked green ...man I wonder what it looks like to play a whole footie match in those...

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    I dont know about orange colour of glasses, but some shadows of brown colour, make your eyesight better: you can see more sharp, more clear.
    But I have no idea, if this is useful on the pitch.

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #15
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Any reason for the colour though? Of course, you could say because he's Dutch... but I remember seeing sports glasses, that were orange in colour too, and apparently they make everything clearer and more crisp... I tried them on, and when i took them off everything looked green ...man I wonder what it looks like to play a whole footie match in those...
    I think it is the same kind of glass that you have in goggles.(ski-glasses).

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
    ok, i'm blind cos i diddn't read this thread before. But here's what i know (may not necessarily be totally true, but this is just what i've heard)

Regarding the orginal question of the thread.

A semi answer is that the techonolgy of contact lenses goes further back than you think. The invention of the contact lens (glass) took place way earlier that the 1970's. So....... i know that doesn't really answer your question, but....... well it's just some useless info :p

Regarding the colors,

Orange is the most effective color to cut out glare. Eg. in many countries, when your road/highway enters a tunnel, the lights when you 1st enter the tunnel are orange lights..... then when you proceed further in white lights are used until the end.

The reason for Orange lights to be used in the beginning of the tunnel is to cut out glare blindness.

ie. If the outside of the tunnel is very bright (sunny day :D) and your vehicel suddenly enters a darker tunnel, you will have glare blindness. Just like when you switch off the light at night in your bedroom. You can't adjust to the darkness until abt 5min's later.

So orange is the best color to fit between White light and darkness. It makes the transition easier on the eyes.

do you understand what i'm trying to explain? :p

How it relates to Davids? i'v no idea :p :p

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Sunshine ] ++
    ok, i'm blind cos i diddn't read this thread before. But here's what i know (may not necessarily be totally true, but this is just what i've heard)

Regarding the orginal question of the thread.

A semi answer is that the techonolgy of contact lenses goes further back than you think. The invention of the contact lens (glass) took place way earlier that the 1970's. So....... i know that doesn't really answer your question, but....... well it's just some useless info :p

Regarding the colors,

Orange is the most effective color to cut out glare. Eg. in many countries, when your road/highway enters a tunnel, the lights when you 1st enter the tunnel are orange lights..... then when you proceed further in white lights are used until the end.

The reason for Orange lights to be used in the beginning of the tunnel is to cut out glare blindness.

ie. If the outside of the tunnel is very bright (sunny day :D) and your vehicel suddenly enters a darker tunnel, you will have glare blindness. Just like when you switch off the light at night in your bedroom. You can't adjust to the darkness until abt 5min's later.

So orange is the best color to fit between White light and darkness. It makes the transition easier on the eyes.

Speaking about some shadows of brown, I was thinking exaclty about this reason written by you in bold.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Sunshine ] ++

Great explanation :thumb:

I totally understand what u say about the tunnel, because ur pupils don't have time to let in more light, so u get blinded... now i finally realise the reason for the orange lights! I guess the relevance of this can be questioned when it comes to the football pitch, but I guess it just means orange is more gentle on the eyes

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Speaking of colours, i thought I'd just make it bloody hard for u to read my next message... maybe some of u will even be smart enough to highlight it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)