GK question... (1 Viewer)

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Because the goal is very wide .. a GK usually covers one side of the goal, and the defensive wall covers the other ...

OP
Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    i wasnt ;)

but often, when i see goals from free-kicks, the defensive wall is useless..the ball goes up over the wall, dips a little and into the net, with a helpless GK

i i was em, i wouldnt stand so to the side, but not exactl in the middle, so that i can still dive and alteast get a hand onto the ball if it goals to the more exposed side of the goal....

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by [DJ Juve] ] ++
    i wasnt ;)

but often, when i see goals from free-kicks, the defensive wall is useless..the ball goes up over the wall, dips a little and into the net, with a helpless GK

i i was em, i wouldnt stand so to the side, but not exactl in the middle, so that i can still dive and alteast get a hand onto the ball if it goals to the more exposed side of the goal....
    I have seen some Youth Teams in my country Trying out a new Wall System with the GKP IN the middle

And 4 Players Aiding him two by each post

SO that they cut off the corners and The GKP takes care of the rest.......

this might work for seniors as well
    but then the GKP Must be prepared for some Really hard shots......

OP
    Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    :D

but do u get what im saying....there no way a keeper is gonna be able to get over to the other side if a shot gets there. if the keeper is standin nearer to the center of the goal, there;s a better chance he'll save a shot that goes to the other more exposed side...ofcouse if a shot reaches the top corner, there's no way a keeper is foing to get it...

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
    It could work better for those shots, yes, but remember:
    Chinas goal-keeper stood like that when brazil had a free-kick and you saw what Carlos did with that, didn't you?

OP
    Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #13
    considering how shitty the china keeper(no offence) i think our buffon or dudek can pull of saves to stop that kinda shots

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
    Did you see that one!?!?
    it was one of the hardest i've seen in a couple of years,
    Í don't think anyone would have stopped it.

Still, I'm pretty positive to this idea.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    I think why the goalie stands to one corner is because its not an easy skill to get the ball over the wall and into the net, if you accomplish that then you are an excellent freekick taker and fairplay to you, but if you stand in the middle of the post with a wall, the taker will now have to good sides either of you to put the ball in the net and by the time the goalkeeper sees it its in the net.

Every freekick is mind games between the taker and goalie, if you remeber Dp's free kick against Celtic, he actually bent it to where the keepre was and by the time the goalie knew whats up it was in the net. Or Rivaldo's against Manu united where Schmeicel was stood in the middle as soon as Rivaldo played it Schmeicel could not move as he was in the middle, and he had guessed wrong

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    I don't know if you've been to an actual football pitch, but the goal is VERY wide .. wider than it looks on TV .. besides, if the GK stands in the middle, as you suggest, I think his view will be blocked by the defensive wall, and wouldn't be able to watch the ball and react correctly :thumb:

Jul 12, 2002
    Okay, I have some expertise in this particular question.

1. The defensive wall is set up to prevent a straight hard shot on goal. From 20 yards out, without a wall, anybody could score pretty easily.

2. The keeper has to stand to one side of the wall in order to see around it to know when the ball is kicked. If he stood in the center of the net, he would not be able to see the kick.

3. He stands to the far side, because the kick mus somehow go over the wall and this will take longer than for it to go straight into the net on the side that he is standing. Thus, the keeper leaves more room to the side that he will have more time to react.

4. Another possible reason is that all keepers have a strong side and a weak side. This means that there is one side that they are more comfortable diving to than the other. If possible, they will set it up so that they will dive to their strong side if neccessary.

5. In the saem fashion, most strikers have a good foot and a weak foot. By position the wall and the keeper, the defence can take advantage of this.

6. When I played professionally, I would never set up a wall more than four men wide. I think that most keepers make the mistake of putting too many men in the wall, and this limits where they can position themselves. But, then again, a good free kick can beat any wall, and any keeper no matter how well they are positioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)