Give Me Some Photography Ideas (2 Viewers)

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
Okay, here are the photos:

Instead of using image tags, I'll link to them to save people's bandwidth.

I made a few 'series' that I had in mind, since I had to present 5 photos, and I printed a bunch of photos that I had in mind for using as the presentation. I don't like what my scanner did to the photos. There's a real difference between digital and analog photography. The original prints have much truer blacks and whites and the tonal differences look much better. Oh well, can't win em all :)

The Water Tower
One
Two
Three
Four
Five

Stuff Around My House
One
Two
Three
Four
I was feeling destructive

Random
One
Two

Contact Sheets
One
Sorry about the last few, I had film left on the way to hand in my assignment :D

very nice graham :)
my personal favorites are :
the water tower 1 and 3
stuff around my house 3 (roses) and i was feeling distructive :)
random 2
and off the contact sheets i like the chairs, and the road with a side mirror and poles on the side - the 4 th one down on the second contact sheet

i'm thinking it would be cool if you could take that first water tower picture with just Fiona's shadow in it, not getting her face in the picture

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #63
    ++ [ originally posted by Vicky ] ++
    very nice graham :)
    my personal favorites are :
    the water tower 1 and 3
    stuff around my house 3 (roses) and i was feeling distructive :)
    random 2
    and off the contact sheets i like the chairs, and the road with a side mirror and poles on the side - the 4 th one down on the second contact sheet

i'm thinking it would be cool if you could take that first water tower picture with just Fiona's shadow in it, not getting her face in the picture
    Thanks for the comments champ ;)

btw it's not Fiona, it's actually my brother's gf cos she was over at our place at the time :) Oh and you're totally right about not showing her in the first pic, I think I didn't intend to do that, but i was shooting from an angle and saw the wrong thing in the viewfinder :wallbang: I actually planned to just take the shadow :(

btw show us some more of your photos, I'm totally addicted to b&w photography now :lick:

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
    sorry i never really looked at her face closely :sad: and i assumed it was her
    damn i feel kinda silly

and my computer is still broken and my uncle gave me his .... so i obviously don't have any photos on here
    but you knwo what i'm gonna do - i'm gonna scan some of my bf's pictures in whenever i get my hands on his photo folder, cause all these pictures i showed ( or most of them ) my boyfriend took he's inlove with black and white just like you are .... but he only takes pictures of people

and no problem for the comments
    have you ever tried using really grainy film ? or like play with double exposures and shit ....

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #69
    ++ [ originally posted by Vicky ] ++
    have you ever tried using really grainy film ? or like play with double exposures and shit ....
    I'd like to, but my past exercises and projects have all been straightforward stuff, and we didn't have that much choice regarding what we used. For my next assignment I'm thinking of using cool things like double exposures and stuff. I was gonna use a higher ISO film (i used 400) or increase the film speed settings on the camera, but I realised I'd be shooting in relatively bright conditions and decided against it.

My next assignment is on Sydney, so i'm thinking of taking double exposures using a fisheye lens and then maybe a normal or a macro lens.

btw u can also help me with the next assignment; i basically just have to pick an aspect of the city and present images for it.

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
    nice :thumb:
    well i think you don't have to put that much thought itno thise new asignment ... i think it's all about the technique so i suggest you go insane trying out all these new things :)

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    graham great stuff. i love the water tower series- the angles, the off-kilter kindov thing.

one beef i had with the stuff around my house series was that the pictures were kinda straightforward, too balanced, ordinary. like the coffee-beans(?) in the christmas-tree bowl.

same with the horse, except i liked that it looked very delicate, fragile and vulnerable. so it was cool.

oh, the roses. i loved that one. very dramatic angle, i really took to the repetition and the focus. possibly my favorite along with the second water tower picture with the clouds contrasting the girl on the ladder.

Stephañho!

Aug 1, 2002
    I like the Water Tower series -contrasts, light, sky, model, viewpoint, it's all good. The rest I find too amateurish. That said, your kitchen in shambles is a nice shot.

:)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #75
    thanks for your comments Steph. I was thinking of putting watermarks on the images, but they're nothing special and i just took them for fun + because i was forced to, so i don't care where they're used ;)

Stephañho!

Aug 1, 2002
    What if a company deems one one of your clichés interesting enough and considers buying it -for a commercial campaign for instance? One should always affix a copyright on personal artsy creations. ;)

Btw Graham... if you're looking for ideas, here's the site of my girlfriend's brother's collective... http://www.blowup-photos.org/

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
    Graham you should definetly copywright your stuff .... not that long ago we were over a friend's house ( me and my bf ) wathing TV and a comertial went on - a new one, none of us has seen it before. it was for a local radiostation.
    well the thing is my bf who's taking grahpic design 4 right now is doing his project on a radiostation - designing all kinds of things for an imaginary radiostation, like posters billboards, magazine adds ect. and his proffessor is a graphic desighner who has worked with that radiostation (the one in the comertial) before !
    well guess who's ideas we saw in that comertial ?
    ...... exactly

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #78
    Thanks for the advice guys, and thanks for the link Steph

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #80
    And right you were :thumb:

Funny how if you cover up the left hand side of the photo, she just looks like a regular girl sitting on the couch, but if you cover right, she looks like an evil sinister crazy child watching an execution on TV :scared: The shadows are great, did u take the photo?

This would've been good for my assignment... thanks for showing me now :groan:;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)