Giovinco interview HERE (video, pic...) (2 Viewers)

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
You meet him, you size him up, and you immediately realize that you have in front of you a player that is going places. To be honest, I imagined him shorter, maybe because the press described him much shorter, but he is larger than life.
He is very well educated, and very modest-characteristics without doubt inherited from his parents. We met him immediately after a test match in the Empoli shirt. In the dressing room, he was having many pics with the young guns. Always smiling, always available. He asked for 10 minutes for a quick shower, and then he was all ours (J1897.com)...

OK, Sebastian or Seba?

Seba, Seba. At home they have always called me Seba, because Sebastian is too long, and so since I was little, it was easier to stop me with a short name if I was getting into trouble (laughs)

Giovinco a surname from...

Southern Italy. My parents were both immigrants to the north. My mother is Calabrese from Catanzaro; my father is Sicilan, to be exact--from Palermo. My family is typically "southern"--large and with many aunts and uncles and cousins who come to visit me here in Empoli.

Is it true that your family is rossonera (milan fans)?

Yes. My family have always been milanisti, but since I've been a Juventus player for 14 years, heck, I'd say the situation in changing...

You grew up in Beinasco, a district of Torino near Mirafiori. For all practical purposes you grew up on bread, Torino and Juventus...

Yes, I practically grew up with a Juve shirt on, where I made all the developments as a young player, in the company always of Claudio Marchisio, playing a year and a half in a club of the Torinese hinterland.

In the Juventus' youth side, you won just about everything. Championship, Coppa Italia, Suppercopa, Viareggio. The Toscano competition--you won it only once, and in particular circumstances. You met genoa in the final. with you on the bench. Juve was winning 2-0, and 20 minutes from the end Chiarenza put you in. Less than 10 minute later Masiello ( Juve primavera) was throen out for an elbow to an adversary, and the mister substituted you. This was perhaps your first taste of primavera calcio. What do you remember of this time?

(Laughs) True, I was out after 10 minutes. It was a beautiful experience, my time with the primavera. I owe so much to the mister Chiarenza who helped me grow so much, without forgetting the other coaches I had as a youth player. Maggiora with the Giovanissimi, Storgato with the Allievi and Schinvaglia, wit whom I won the Beretti Championship. Yes, my time with the youth team was truly fanastic, very, very fantastic.

Speaking of the Beretti Championship...this year your brother Giuseppe is playing there and they say that you have the same playing style.

Yes, he just needs to improve his mental game, and he can also do very well. I am convinced of it.

In an interview, you declared that you think that he is a better player than you. Did you forget that, because you were afraid he might steal your close if you admitted it?

No (laughs), I am absolutely convinced of it. As I said before, all he needs to do is work on the "head games", lose the fear, those things that slow you down mentally. If he does that, I think he can be a truly great player.

Brains play a certain part in calcio, then?

Absolutely they play a part, along with the technical side.

Since you have captured notice for your skills, the discussion has centered on your physical size. It is undoubtedly true that the history of calcio is full of players of short stature, but who were physically strong and brilliantly fast, but increased their skills over time. Do you believe that this is your future, or are you happy the way you are now (physically)?

I think it's normal at my age not be especially strong physically. I'm 20, and this is my first year in Serie A, but I think that I'm doing an OK job for my size.
I don't think that I have to abandon my personal skills as a footballer; naturally I always seek to improve my skills, and to improve in the areas where I am lacking, to try and reach the maximum potential of my skills.

I am sure many have already asked you this, so let's get it out of the way: the comparisons with Lionel Messi. You have declared many times that the Argentine is your favorite player, but that you in no way wish to be compared with him, because you are Sebastian Giovinco and that's it.

The truth is I don't like being always compared with anyone, because there are too many differences in me and in my play on the field. Above all, he is one player and I'm another. In our characteristics we are fairly similar, but he is a player that scores many goals, an attacker, I can seem like him, but I consider myself much more a midfielder

All we bianconeri have noticed your unselfish style of play, and that you tend to pass the ball even in cases where it seems that said passing might be a danger to scoring. You don't think that, in a calcio that sadly is heading more and more to a certain egoism, and to a certain "me-ism" in scoring goals, that such an unselfish style will penalize you on the pitch?

Yes, this is true. Footballistically speaking, I am not one who scores a lot of goals e in this aspect of the game, I must certainly improve, maybe seeking to b it a bit more selfish, naturally when I have the chance and the situation warrants it, because, in the end, I think I have a good shot. I mirror this in my private life--I don't like publicity, and I am a fairly private person.
Capello, along with mister Galbiati. is one who made me work much on this aspect of the game. In the coaching sessions, they made me take many shots on goal, and with their help, I have certainly gotten better.

Above all, with Capello you got your first taste of the 1st team...

Absolutely. Besides playing against split squads when in the Primavera, the coach gave us many opportunities to play in the first squad, and to learn from them.

We have spoken much about Farsopoli, but it certainly was for you players of the primavera, an "early playing opportunity"....

Effectively, from a digrace was created something that we might say was positive for us youngsters. Enough to realize that last year 8-9 of us young players made the 1st team: Bianco, Marchisio, De Ceglie, Venitucci, Lanzafame, me....

What was the atmosphere in the 1st squad dressing room?

Of the climate during and after Farsopoli, I know precious little, because when I arrived 5 months had passed from the beginning of the championship and our thoughts ere all on the campaign, and on promotion to Serie A. I wish, however, to emphasis the way they accepted us youngsters in the 1st aquad, helping us very much in difficult times with the calcio of "the champions". In sum, they all confirmed themselves champions in their private lives, as well as on the pitch.

The turning point was at the Comunale against Bologna and the assist leading to the 3-1 of Trezeguet. You changed from "little ones" to the 1st squad at the Olimpico. Thoughts?

Eh, I was expecting the breakthrough for a long time, and it was awesome to be able to celebrate at home in front of our fans, especially being a focus of our winning the match.

You celebrated at 20, relatively late by European standards. Deschamps was particularly saddened that a player of your caliber had to remain so long in the Primavera. How do you explain this inate tendency of Italian calcio to advance their youth?

I can not give you an explanation, to be honest. It is definitely beyond discussion that in Italia there is a a whole different system for youth calcio. Here we have always chosen to play "formed" players, whereas outside Italia, the youth are given a much more of a chance to shine early--looking at the qualities of a player, rather than his experience. I think something may be changing, perhaps due to the increased interest by the media in the primavera. Sky, for example, has televised for a couple of years, matches of the youth calcio, and this has certainly helped to advance the changes...

In the few times that you and Trez have played together, you have demonstrated a notable affinity on the pitch for each other--the same Frenchman has never stopped praising you publically. In regards to tactics, which do you prefer?: a finisher in the area like the Frenchman, or more a player of maneuver, a la Pozzi?

Heck, there are pros and cons for each, depending on the situation. If I could choose, I would play with 2 forwards in front of me, to have more freedom--as I was saying earlier, I don't consider myself an attacker, but much more as a playmaker, or maybe a winger in a trident.

Seeing this photos, what passes through your head?

Heck, I can only say that it is simply fantastic, being able to play with a player of his quality. I must add that I have not yet given my best wishes for the birth of his son, and I will do so as soon as I saee him.

You have a style of calcio that is very similar...

Thank you, even if I must say that I think that he has modified his style over time. Before, Alessandro positioned himself differently before his shots on goal, more at an angle, whereas now he shoots more directly.

Presuming you are following Juventus' season, what do you think of it?

The objective is certainly qualifying for CL, but I have no doubt--they win lo scudetto!!!

And Empoli's season? Have you had a problem, ultimately?...

Yes, this period hasn't been easy, even if we are ultimately more tranquil. The situation was caused also by the fact that Empoli was not used to playing so many matches at such great distances, but the victory at the San Siro lifted our morale a bit ( even if the problems at home against Atalanta delated us a bit)

However, the elimination from the UEFA Cup must still sting....

Yes, very much=especially because in the end, we are the ones who lost it, above all, and we deserved to lose 3-0. In addition, Zurigo's disallowed goal at the end of the 1st period, the many blown chances...

How have you taken the loan in Toscana? Would you rather have stayed in bianconero, or are you happy out on loan?

I was absolutely in agreement with the club regarding the loan, knowing that playing

Regarding your position on the pitch, you have recently declared that you would prefer being a bit more free tactically....

They have maybe made a bit too much of this. In my opinion, I would rather not make useless discussions or problems, because I am happy playing in this role, as long as I can play...

Besides Cagni or Ranieri, is there a coach in Italia or Europe that you would like to be coached by?

Mmmmm....I'd say all of them that would play me as a playmaker! (laughs)

It's outside the discussion, however few in Italia have played with a playmaker--don't you think that this in the long run could penalize you, as happened to great players such as Baggio and Zola?

Beh, in the end I think it depends on yourself and the ability to play, because in the end a coach evaluates the situation in a manner to better the squad and players, so it depends on you and what you show on the pitch.
Returning to calcio, I would think that your decisive goal in Serie A against Palermo, represents the most beautiful moment in your career to this point....

You could tell by my celebration, no? It is an indescribable emotion. You feel on top of the world...a unique sensation...

Besides calcio, what would you have liked to do?

A worker with my father, mainly because I and school never got along.......

Besides calcio, your passions?

Those of every kid: going out with friends, fun (naturally within limits). TV and Playstation...

Music?

Yes, a lot, and of every genre. Non-Italian, Italian..and Napolitana ---I have many cousins that are in Napoli, and I know the dialect fairly well.

Cuisine and preferred dish. With a Calabrese mother...

Absolutely. We eat a lot, also because my father is a good cook, so I am very lucky. Favorite dish without doubt is pasta al forno with vegetables, something indescribably good...

This question, very particular, arrives from our Russian friends: choose between women, pizza or calcio?

C'mon--it's an impossible choice. I choose all three, without discussion (laughs)

The women of the forum want to know if you're engaged...

What is this question? No comment--next question (laughs)

Canalis-Bellucci?

La Monica, la Monica forever.

Mughini or Abantantuono?

C'mon, both simpatico...

Caressa or Marianella?

Caressa.

Zeman or Agroppi?

Ehm, Agroppi I don't know. I pass.

What do you wish for your future?

Above all, to help my family, and then to help he who really needs it.

And to Seba the footballer, what mission in your dreams?

Easy--to return to Juventus!

OK Seba, thanks for the time and I wish you a fantastic career, because you deserve it. Can you a greeting tp the members of J1897.com and to all the tifosi bianconeri in the world?

Absolutely. I greet all the members of the forum and thank you all, for all the good wishes and hundreds of questions you've sent me. It is truly great to receive this affection, and I hope to return the sentiments soon. A huge hug.

* Thanks to J1897 and Sebastiano for the great interview, translation, video and pic. :pint:

Buy on AliExpress.com

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
He eats a lot?.Seriously?:D

Good Interview still.None of the questions asked here made it to the official interview i guess.Maybe Rab's question was asked indirectly with relevance to the picture.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Thanks a lot for this Mark; Seba seems like an awesome guy; very nice of him to talk to the fans like this.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
:heart:
now i officially love him.

interesting points-
seba is his official nickname now.
he and marchisio are close friends.
he claims his younger brother is more talented than him.
he prefers to play in midfield, behind the forwards(so he's not pavel's replacement).
he still seems juvenile(in a good way).

btw, from the pic it looks like he was reading mark's post.

May 22, 2007
Giovinco said:
You have a style of calcio that is very similar...

Thank you, even if I must say that I think that he has modified his style over time. Before, Alessandro positioned himself differently before his shots on goal, more at an angle, whereas now he shoots more directly.
Great answer, it shows he pays attention to more then you first see. Thanks for the interview :tup:

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
What was the atmosphere in the 1st squad dressing room?

Of the climate during and after Farsopoli, I know precious little, because when I arrived 5 months had passed from the beginning of the championship and our thoughts ere all on the campaign, and on promotion to Serie A. I wish, however, to emphasis the way they accepted us youngsters in the 1st aquad, helping us very much in difficult times with the calcio of "the champions". In sum, they all confirmed themselves champions in their private lives, as well as on the pitch.
Did he really refer to it as farsopoli? If so, awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)