Giovanni Cobolli Gigli (28 Viewers)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Juve president writes letter of praise

After two years in charge of Juventus Giovanni Cobolli Gigli has written an open letter of thanks to both fans and colleagues reflecting on a successful period.

The president of the Turin giants took over after the Calciopoli scandal that saw the club relegated to Serie B in the summer of 2006.

The 63-year-old guided the Old Lady back to the top flight in one swift season and has made the Bianconeri a force to reckoned with once more in what were two very emotional years.

He said: "These have been two intense years packed with emotion, uncertainty and fear. The tension has been more than made up for by the satisfaction at being in charge of a team that create such passion and are loved by millions of people."

The Juve chief also had some special words of praise for his right-hand man at the club, Jean-Claude Blanc.

He added: "I want to thank Jean-Claude Blanc for his knowledgeable guidance of the club through turbulent times with all his decisions from appointing Claudio Ranieri as coach to the financial moves."

This season the Turin side are back in the Champions League starting with the preliminary rounds in August and the club are building the team based on some very promising youngsters like Sebastian Giovinco and Claudio Marchisio.

He added: "The youngsters are the pillars on which we want to build the Juventus of tomorrow, I look forward to seeing them in the Bianconeri jersey."

Fox

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
Cobolli Gigli's comments come a day after Juve manager Claudio Ranieri announced that Christian Poulsen would be their last addition ahead of next season.

The fact that the Dane plays the same position as long-term Juve target Alonso combined with the club's announcement means that if the Spaniard is to leave Liverpool in the summer it almost certainly won't be for Turin.

"We will not make any other buys. We have opted for the Dane because we have a very strong attack and needed a wall in the midfield," the Juve chief told local reporters.

"Everyone knows that the transfer market ends on August 31," but if I have to be honest, unless something extraordinary happens, we can say that we have concluded our transfer activity.

"I am convinced that we have made a good choice by acquiring Christian Poulsen," he added.

"This signing is not a bet made by (Claudio) Ranieri but rather a tactical decision taken by Juventus, knowing that a powerful attack can only be supported by a strong midfield."

Gigli's comments also have a direct impact on the future of Inter midfielder Dejan Stankovic, who was all set to join Juventus last month only for the fans to effectively veto the deal through an online protest which the club simply could not ignore.

goal.com

interesting :claire: ......

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
It was Ranieri's tactical decision not a bet by Ranieri, that's what the article says. Afterall it is not the board's inability, it was Ranieri who preferred Poulsen over Alonso.

K_Mac

Apr 15, 2006
http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/blogs/al46.html

ok that is not a gigli related article,but i couldn't find Sucko's thread,so i left it here...i couldn't stop laughing when they mentioned Sucko's name there
take a look at the 3rd paragraph,Secco is soo goddamn famous now...haahhaha,
well, if you think about it...there's only room for Secco to improve. :shifty: ....hopefully. i doubt it could get much worse for him. i'll still give him credit to an extent. he did sign Amauri, Sissoko, and Mellberg on a free. And he kept the three youngsters. but of course overall he has sucked big time. i think he just needs some time to learn the ropes. he's still relatively young for his job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)