Gigi's backups (Chimenti done...Manninger next?) (1 Viewer)

Who will be Gigi's backup?

• Antonioli (Bologna)

• Canizares (Valencia)

• Cudicini (Chelsea)

• Fiorillo (Sampdoria)

• Gillet (Bari)

• Manninger (Siena)

• Niemi (Fulham)

• Ochs (Red Bull Salzburg)

• Roma (Monaco)

• Sorensen (Aston Villa)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
+1 - honestly, i doubt buffon will miss 1 game. why can't we make a new sort of deal; like buying some u21-NT-Goalkeeper and let him on loan wherever he plays atm, but with a special contract, that in case of emergency (buffon gets injured) allows us to call him back any time and give belardi in exchange. Wouldn't that be a good thing :):) ? (i don't know if that's possible, and i don't care but i'd love that :) )
No it's not possible.

EDIT: According to vimo's logic, imagine if Buffon gets injured during a match. Imagine Ranieri telling to the fourth official: "Please wait until we call our second keeper because he's on loan."

Buy on AliExpress.com

Sad Statue

wannabe Bart Simpson
Mar 28, 2006
So you wouldnt mind seeing Chimenti coming back? Or seeing another season of Belardi making half assed attempts to save?

Its not like we will get another luxury backup keeper who is as good was Abbiati was for us, but lets try to hope for getting close to that caliber.
i think that this is not a problem for us...

i wouldnt mind even chimenti...

if we are not going to buy someone young and promissing, i dont care which 34 or 35 year old keeper are we going to buy...

vimo

Apr 1, 2006
So you are absolutely confident that Gigi's back problem won't flare up again?

And what team would accept a deal that could result in them losing their keeper at any time, just because Buffon got injured?
of course i'm NOT sure, but i'm confident :)

what team? any serie-b team (which probably is where the team in which a U21-Goalkeeper is playing) who got some $$$ and are allowed to keep their player (until the worst case scenario would come into action). let's take Bassi for example. He currently plays at empoli if i'm not wrong. We could (even though we know now it's not possible) give them, i don't know... 3 millions for him and let him there on loan. I'm pretty sure empoli would agree to play with belardi for a few games if they get cash instead... But as i said, it's just a wild fantasy, and i won't ever believe this will happen :)

No it's not possible.

EDIT: According to vimo's logic, imagine if Buffon gets injured during a match. Imagine Ranieri telling to the fourth official: "Please wait until we call our second keeper because he's on loan."
As i said, it's not like i meant this seriously, and it wouldn't be that way anyway; we'd still have belardi, remember? so belardi could come in for that game and the 'new gk' could arrive for the following game. It's not like a goalkeeper needs to practice tactics with the team...
But again, i wrote this thing because it just came into my head and i never believed it to really happen. I just don't see why we should sign a 35 year-old gk right now. It's obvious that something like that is what we need, but which goalkeeper, on a decent level, in his last years of his career, is willing to be benched? it would be more logical to sign the 'after-buffon' already, namely someone at the age of 23-24 yrs. but that again, would be idiotic because we'd destroy that boy's development by benching him. hence this loan-thingie.... :):)

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
i think that this is not a problem for us...

i wouldnt mind even chimenti...

if we are not going to buy someone young and promissing, i dont care which 34 or 35 year old keeper are we going to buy...
You're going to care if Buffon misses some games and that '34 or 35 year old keeper' makes some silly mistakes that would cost us the game.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
There are too many games, the back up keeper will play most of the cup games and some of the pre-CL games, not mention the back problems Buffon may face again.
We need a good back up, many times we suffered because of unfortunate incidents!

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
I think Roma out of the list would be the best option. Followed by Cudicini.

Who ever is cheapest. I just think we shouldn't spend too much, but it is needed as from what I've seen of Belardi, gives me the shivers. I know its not easy to be back-up goalkeeper, takes some mentality to come on and do your job after not playing a real game for months.

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
And here is the channel4 artticle aboout Niemi, who, IMO would be a good backup for Gigi.

Juve up for Antti? Thursday 10 July, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus are reportedly considering a move for Fulham goalkeeper Antti Niemi as they look for an understudy to Gigi Buffon.

In Buffon, the Old Lady have one of the surest shot-stoppers in the world but they have lacked a reliable stand-in.

Emanuele Belardi filled in last season, but he didn’t inspire confidence in his four Serie A starts and Juve are keen to find an alternative.

Australian international Mark Schwarzer refused the move to join Fulham, but that may ironically open up the option of Niemi.

Having lost his starting place, Niemi is now facing the prospect of a season on the bench at Craven Cottage.

Niemi is seen by many as the greatest Finnish goalkeeper in history but at the age of 36 may be happy to warm a bench in Italy rather than London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)