Gigi Buffon (1 Viewer)

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
I find it amazing that people are saying that Buffon is calm, he is not, he has such a bubbly personalty and thats why he was such a hero at Parma and now at Juve
I don't what's that, but to all the rest:
He is not calm, but in such positive way: smiling, laughing etc.
After goals scored by team, he react emotional, sometimes very emotional.
But sometimes he gets fired up: this event from match with Feyenoord, or after that match with Inter when Toldo scored, he was sitting on the floor in a dressing room and SCREAMING few minues. So comparing to such moments - Kahn is "like angel"

And if such fury moments happened to Buffon more often, I would really start to consider, whether he is mentally healthy.

Not because he is a very good keeper but because he is the kind of character that ppl take to
Finally I've found someone who has the same opinion in this matter about Gigi :cool:

I remember Buffon saving a penalty from Ronaldo at Parma, the ball was still in play and Buffon was busy jumping up and down and celebrating with the fans behind his goal, it would have been disatrous if Inter scored as Buffon was not in the goal, he was celebrating with the fans
I saw such his behavior 3 or 4 times.

Also you do see him get upset when he loses a goal in which he is not happy with and shows it
That's the truth.

Buy on AliExpress.com

mate

Aug 28, 2002
I think that Rickenbacker2, when speaking about "temperament" did not mean the way Buffon celebrate after a save or schow his disappointment ater a goal, or gain peaple simpathy...
In this I guess nobody can say that Gigi is "cold".
I understood the question in the way that 4 an important and good goalkeeper like him you can aspect more "stong and leader personality" like 4 example Kahn have, but I repeat, in a team like Juve, wheare the "group" is the most important thing, it's maybe better like this...

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mate ] ++
I think that Rickenbacker2, when speaking about "temperament" did not mean the way Buffon celebrate after a save or schow his disappointment ater a goal, or gain peaple simpathy...
In this I guess nobody can say that Gigi is "cold".
Well, if you're talking about this Ian's post:
"where as Buffon is a steady player, but his lack of fire or enthusiasm has a negative effect on the team. I never see him get real fired up, he's kinda like Lippi..."
then perhaps.

I understood the question in the way that 4 an important and good goalkeeper like him you can aspect more "stong and leader personality" like 4 example Kahn have, but I repeat, in a team like Juve, wheare the "group" is the most important thing, it's maybe better like this...
Some people just aren't born leaders and I think he won't become a leader.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Ally ] ++
Well, if you're talking about this Ian's post:
"where as Buffon is a steady player, but his lack of fire or enthusiasm has a negative effect on the team. I never see him get real fired up, he's kinda like Lippi..."
then perhaps.
If it was intended like "he do not celebrate or show his disappointed" I missunderstood it and I have to say I desagree cause he probably do not cry 4 joy or 4 disappointed in the field but I don't see him as "cold", he is just in the same line of most of the team.

Some people just aren't born leaders and I think he won't become a leader.
Yep, and ther's nothing bad on it.
To say that Kahn has a leader personality and Buffon not is just a "constatation" and as I said 4 a Juve player is maybe better like this cause the "leader" is Lippi and he always worked hard to keep the players as a group wheare everybody is at the same level. Some teams need a leader and some not, some coachs prefer to have a player with who they can schare the responsability and some not...

Btw I think that Kahn is the best goalkeeper in the world but I think that Buffon is the best 4 Juventus and I will not excange him with nobody.

Jul 12, 2002
Here let me clear this up a little. When I say that Buffon isn't fiery, or that he is not over-enthusiastic, I mean that he generally keeps a straight face, does not get upset, and doesn't usually get overly excited. Sure, at times he will go crazy, like everyone, but less often than Kahn or especially Schmiechel.:) This is good at times, but I think that to be a real team leader he needs to be more animated. And maybe Gigi isn't a great leader, and in that case, it's just one more reason that he isn't the best.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mate ] ++

If it was intended like "he do not celebrate or show his disappointed" I missunderstood it and I have to say I desagree cause he probably do not cry 4 joy or 4 disappointed in the field but I don't see him as "cold", he is just in the same line of most of the team.
But he shows his enjoy and disappointment. Maybe not very strong in every match, but I gave few examples earlier, how much he can exagerrate with his behavior! Shouting like crazy after goals and fury after disappointment.

Yep, and ther's nothing bad on it.
To say that Kahn has a leader personality and Buffon not is just a "constatation" and as I said 4 a Juve player is maybe better like this cause the "leader" is Lippi and he always worked hard to keep the players as a group wheare everybody is at the same level. Some teams need a leader and some not, some coachs prefer to have a player with who they can schare the responsability and some not...
It's hard to say what is better.
It's good when all players are equal as group, but from the other side: such leader can help coach..

Btw I think that Kahn is the best goalkeeper in the world but I think that Buffon is the best 4 Juventus and I will not excange him with nobody.
Yes :thumb:

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++
Here let me clear this up a little. When I say that Buffon isn't fiery, or that he is not over-enthusiastic, I mean that he generally keeps a straight face, does not get upset, and doesn't usually get overly excited. Sure, at times he will go crazy, like everyone, but less often than Kahn or especially Schmiechel.:)
Less often I agree, but these these rare times are like real fury.
Some of them are funny, but some of them: what's going on here? :eek:

This is good at times, but I think that to be a real team leader he needs to be more animated. And maybe Gigi isn't a great leader, and in that case, it's just one more reason that he isn't the best.
I'm curious now about your opinion: can you tell me names of goalies, who are great leaders? I know Kahn.

Jul 12, 2002
Less often I agree, but these these rare times are like real fury.
Some of them are funny, but some of them: what's going on here? :eek:
:LOL: :LOL: These times certainly are fury! :LOL: :LOL:

I'm curious now about your opinion: can you tell me names of goalies, who are great leaders? I know Kahn.
Schmiechel, Iker Cassillas, Brad Friedel, Peruzzi, and Jens Lehman to name a few.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
You are trying to tell me now that in a defecne that comprises Hierro and Carlos , you see Cassillas shouting at them or showing leadership qualities cos i have never seen him shout at anyone, I have seen get upset but thats in general about losing a goal not screaming at anyone in particular

Friedel , I have never seen him scream at anyone and has no leadership qualities, he is just a good goalkeeper going thru a real purple patch

Lehman, this is the same goalkeeper that was such a flop at Milan and recently against Schalke ran 40 yards to rain abuses on Amoroso, gets sent off and gets a real barracking from skipper , Reuter, yes real leadership qualities, those

How do you expect Buffon to start shouting at veterans and world class players like Thuram, Ferrara and Montero, remember he has only been there 1 and a half seasons and since when is screaming your head off a prerequisite for Leadership

Did you ever see Kahn scream at Mattheus when he was there?

Perruzzi is one of the calmest goalkeepers you are ever likely to see, they say goalies are crazy but Perruzzi and Vds are probably a bit too reserved and nice for goal keepers

Well you do need leaders on the pitch as the coach cannot be a leader when a match starts and we are fortunate that we have lots of leaders on the field and they are ferrara, Montero, Davids, Tacchinardi, Nedved and Dp

I have seen loads of interviews with juve players and Italy and Buffon is almost always being interviewed

Jul 12, 2002
You are trying to tell me now that in a defecne that comprises Hierro and Carlos , you see Cassillas shouting at them or showing leadership qualities cos i have never seen him shout at anyone, I have seen get upset but thats in general about losing a goal not screaming at anyone in particular

Friedel , I have never seen him scream at anyone and has no leadership qualities, he is just a good goalkeeper going thru a real purple patch

Lehman, this is the same goalkeeper that was such a flop at Milan and recently against Schalke ran 40 yards to rain abuses on Amoroso, gets sent off and gets a real barracking from skipper , Reuter, yes real leadership qualities, those

How do you expect Buffon to start shouting at veterans and world class players like Thuram, Ferrara and Montero, remember he has only been there 1 and a half seasons and since when is screaming your head off a prerequisite for Leadership

Did you ever see Kahn scream at Mattheus when he was there?

Perruzzi is one of the calmest goalkeepers you are ever likely to see, they say goalies are crazy but Perruzzi and Vds are probably a bit too reserved and nice for goal keepers

Well you do need leaders on the pitch as the coach cannot be a leader when a match starts and we are fortunate that we have lots of leaders on the field and they are ferrara, Montero, Davids, Tacchinardi, Nedved and Dp

I have seen loads of interviews with juve players and Italy and Buffon is almost always being interviewed
You are confusing what I am saying. I'm not saying that a keeper has to be hot-headed to be a good leader, nor am I saying that all hot-headed keepers are good leaders. What I am saying is that those keepers whom I mentioned have leadership qualities. When they are in goal, they can lead their team. That doesn't mean that they "shout" at their defensemen, that's not really leading, and you don't have to give commands to lead. To lead you need to be an animated, player with some enthusiasm, some savoir faire.

Cassillas is a leader, no matter who is on the field. He inspires confidence, because everything seems to go his way. He makes it seem like he is in total control.

Friedel is a leader, because no one on his team can give anything but 100% when he is on the pitch. He demands of his team mates, because he gives it himself.

Lehman is a leader, I've never seen a team sway with ups and downs of a single player like his team does with him.

As for Peruzzi, he is calm, but you can not tell me that he is not a leader. Nothing is ever unorganized in front of him. Coincidence? I think not.

And since you brought VDS up, you wouldn't know crazy if it hit you in the face. VDS is not crazy? Man, go play keeper for whatever team you play for, just once, it'll open your eyes.

Jul 28, 2002

You are confusing what I am saying. I'm not saying that a keeper has to be hot-headed to be a good leader, nor am I saying that all hot-headed keepers are good leaders. What I am saying is that those keepers whom I mentioned have leadership qualities. When they are in goal, they can lead their team. That doesn't mean that they "shout" at their defensemen, that's not really leading, and you don't have to give commands to lead. To lead you need to be an animated, player with some enthusiasm, some savoir faire.

Cassillas is a leader, no matter who is on the field. He inspires confidence, because everything seems to go his way. He makes it seem like he is in total control.

Friedel is a leader, because no one on his team can give anything but 100% when he is on the pitch. He demands of his team mates, because he gives it himself.

Lehman is a leader, I've never seen a team sway with ups and downs of a single player like his team does with him.

As for Peruzzi, he is calm, but you can not tell me that he is not a leader. Nothing is ever unorganized in front of him. Coincidence? I think not.

And since you brought VDS up, you wouldn't know crazy if it hit you in the face. VDS is not crazy? Man, go play keeper for whatever team you play for, just once, it'll open your eyes.
casilla is weird, lucky n strangely one of the best....for sum reson he is at the rite place at the rite time n is the luckiest keepr ive seen.

Peruzzi...oh yes he was a real keeper:cool:

vds aint mad jus eratic :D

but some on u cant say buffon dont inspire confidence

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by John #10 ] ++
casilla is weird, lucky n strangely one of the best....for sum reson he is at the rite place at the rite time n is the luckiest keepr ive seen.

Peruzzi...oh yes he was a real keeper:cool:

vds aint mad jus eratic :D

but some on u cant say buffon dont inspire confidence
Buffon doesn't inspire confidence. When he might be beaten he stands there and looks stupid. How does that inspire confidence? The guy doesn't know a lick about effort, or about presence. You hardly notice Buffon on the pitch unless he is in the process of making a save. He doesn't dominate anything, he doesn't take control, he doesn't make the game his. He has no presence, and that is his downfall in the leadership area.

Jul 28, 2002
but the guys in front of him kno they have a keeper who is a gr8 shot stopper n can rely on him.

imo , havin him behing me is better than havin vds or casillas behind me...but thats only my opinion, as u r a keeper , u have the better knowledge.

Jul 12, 2002
but the guys in front of him kno they have a keeper who is a gr8 shot stopper n can rely on him.

imo , havin him behing me is better than havin vds or casillas behind me...but thats only my opinion, as u r a keeper , u have the better knowledge.
There is a difference between defenders having confidence in the keeper and the keeper inspiring confidence in the defenders.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002

Buffon doesn't inspire confidence. When he might be beaten he stands there and looks stupid. How does that inspire confidence? The guy doesn't know a lick about effort, or about presence. You hardly notice Buffon on the pitch unless he is in the process of making a save. He doesn't dominate anything, he doesn't take control, he doesn't make the game his. He has no presence, and that is his downfall in the leadership area.
I wonder why you like him as a goal keeper anyway this is one argumanet I ma not gonna go into, if you like your keepers to do all those things u mentioned then fine as far as i know Buffon is better than all those goal keepers u mentioned and i dont give a damn about all those unnecessary atrributes as long as the cat does his job which he does very well

Jul 12, 2002
I wonder why you like him as a goal keeper anyway this is one argumanet I ma not gonna go into, if you like your keepers to do all those things u mentioned then fine as far as i know Buffon is better than all those goal keepers u mentioned and i dont give a damn about all those unnecessary atrributes as long as the cat does his job which he does very well
You always try to make what I say into something it's not. I never said Buffon wasn't a good keeper because he doesn't lead or anything like that. He is a good keeper, and probably the best shot-stopper in the world currently, but that doesn't make him the best keeper. In the same way that a defender who can be great at defense but is able in attack is better than one who is only good at defense, a keeper with talents in more areas than shot-stopping is better than one with only shot-stopping ability.

To be a great keeper, in my book, you need to command the pitch, own your penalty area and lead your team, you need to be able to handle the ball with your feet, as good as you can with your hands, you need to be able to "reach" almost the entire pitch with our distirbution, you need to organise your defense, you need to have a presence on the pitch at all times, so that the other team, the fans, the announcers, and your team-mates know who is playing in net, and you need to be able to stop shots.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002

er...that's called positioning,not luck:p

mate

Aug 28, 2002
But he shows his enjoy and disappointment. Maybe not very strong in every match, but I gave few examples earlier, how much he can exagerrate with his behavior! Shouting like crazy after goals and fury after disappointment.
Yep I'm agree I never noticed Buffon to be "colder" of the others players on schowing his joy or disappointment when they make (or keep) a goal...
And anycase it always depend on the situation... you can see a player crying 4 joy 4 one goal, running allover till taking a yellow card an other time and maybe the time after do not schow any particolar enthusiam...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)